If you had to pick one player from each of the top six...

Remove this Banner Ad

Established clearly has an agenda against Chelsea and the other "big six" EPL teams. Did anyone see the list of strikers he wrote that were better than Kane? It made me sick. But anyway, I get that he's strongly against the EPL bias that can be evident at times on this board, but he massively overcompensates by sprouting some absolute f***ing garbage. He reminds me of typeclub, just a shitter version with more time on his hands.

Established clearly has an agenda against Chelsea and the other "big six" EPL teams. Did anyone see the list of strikers he wrote that were better than Kane? It made me sick. But anyway, I get that he's strongly against the EPL bias that can be evident at times on this board, but he massively overcompensates by sprouting some absolute f***ing garbage. He reminds me of typeclub, just a shitter version with more time on his hands.
He is the only posters that can get spurs Arsenal and Chelsea poster all agree on things. He may even be that good spurs and Liverpool posters agree too!

We wouldn't take Hazard ahead of Isco for the bench, or Asensio. I am happy with my Ozil selection for Isco backup and Gundagon for Kovacic backup.

Hazard could probably only improve Bayern out of the big clubs in the world. He's only a walkup starter to EPL clubs... But then again Bayern management said Carlo only wanted Hamez, now that they have him they won't need Hazard.

No one has said anything of the sort. ADL9798 knows this but chooses to post like a moron.
What was said was that it is hard to improve on our starting XI due to constraints such as budget and wage bill etc.
What was said was that we're not panicking at selling Walker as Trippier is quite competent.
What was said was that to improve on players like Eriksen, Alli, Wanyama, Dembele would require a transfer fee beyond our station at present.
What was said was that we'd instead focus on improving squad depth as that's more affordable.
What was waffled on about was trophies and how many points off first and all that nonsense.

Stick to Liverpool pal, or maybe get a clue about the club you're talking about first :thumbsu:
Oh, and btw, without Europe you were only 1 point above the worst Arsenal side in a decade. #derp

Being lectured on misquoting, making generalisations, or exaggerating/taking quotes out of context by you of all people. Ha. I've heard everything you've said on this, and disagree with most of it.

The concept of an arbitrary 'starting XI' is flawed. Be it through injuries, fluctuations in form, or just rotation I expect us to have 5 midfielders and 5 forwards who should all play a similar number of games across all comps this season. Wanyama, Dembele, Dier, Trippier, Sissoko, Lamela and Janssen are for all intents and purposes 'starting XI' players for you given the amount of football they'll play this season. Some solid players in there, but none of them are unique, and any of them could be improved upon without having to drop £50m+. If you disagree with that then I think you're overrating these players.

You've said you need a 'Mané' type player, we literally just bought one (Salah) for £35m, and Mané himself cost £34m 12 months ago, a fee which should be well within your budget given the likely cost of your current reported targets and the £50m you just pocketed for Walker.

What amuses me more is that as supporters you should be frustrated by this situation, but instead what I've predominantly heard from a few of you is spin to justify this lack of activity. Every club has good young players and can claim scope for internal improvement. Lallana just had his best season since 2014, and he's 28! See how easy it is?

Whether it's nervousness as I said or misguided arrogance, either way I'm enjoying the increase in chirpiness coming from Spurs fans this off season. As the hubris goes up so too does the height from which you'll inevitably fall.

Tottenham are a very good side at the moment but they'll be one of a number of good sides going into this season, and if the club mirrors the fanbase in truly thinking there's no way to improve on the current starting XI within the current budget, then that's great news for the rest of us.

Compare that to Chelsea, who have just won the title by 3 clear games. Rather than resting on their laurels, they immediately upgraded Kante's 'quite competent' CM partner for £40m (£10m less than the quoted price for Barkley). That's not great news for the rest of us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Being lectured on misquoting, making generalisations, or exaggerating/taking quotes out of context by you of all people. Ha. I've heard everything you've said on this, and disagree with most of it.

The concept of an arbitrary 'starting XI' is flawed. Be it through injuries, fluctuations in form, or just rotation I expect us to have 5 midfielders and 5 forwards who should all play a similar number of games across all comps this season. Wanyama, Dembele, Dier, Trippier, Sissoko, Lamela and Janssen are for all intents and purposes 'starting XI' players for you given the amount of football they'll play this season. Some solid players in there, but none of them are unique, and any of them could be improved upon without having to drop £50m+. If you disagree with that then I think you're overrating these players.

You've said you need a 'Mané' type player, we literally just bought one (Salah) for £35m, and Mané himself cost £34m 12 months ago, a fee which should be well within your budget given the likely cost of your current reported targets and the £50m you just pocketed for Walker.

What amuses me more is that as supporters you should be frustrated by this situation, but instead what I've predominantly heard from a few of you is spin to justify this lack of activity. Every club has good young players and can claim scope for internal improvement. Lallana just had his best season since 2014, and he's 28! See how easy it is?

Whether it's nervousness as I said or misguided arrogance, either way I'm enjoying the increase in chirpiness coming from Spurs fans this off season. As the hubris goes up so too does the height from which you'll inevitably fall.

Tottenham are a very good side at the moment but they'll be one of a number of good sides going into this season, and if the club mirrors the fanbase in truly thinking there's no way to improve on the current starting XI within the current budget, then that's great news for the rest of us.

Compare that to Chelsea, who have just won the title by 3 clear games. Rather than resting on their laurels, they immediately upgraded Kante's 'quite competent' CM partner for £40m (£10m less than the quoted price for Barkley). That's not great news for the rest of us.
Tl;dr after lack of activity

But we heard most that stuff last year with our lack of activity and upped our points tally whilst being harder hit with injuries to key players than we were the year before.

Buying for the sake of it is pointless. Just look at Sissoko! We'll add 2-3 players I'd imagine and get more minutes into Onomah. Didn't realise it was ground breaking to only make 3-4 changes to a young improving squad. Just because it's not the norm anymore maybe? It's worth noting Chelsea only made 4 significant transfer moves last summer. It might not be the most exciting thing for the simple football fan "only" getting 4 signings but it can be the most effective

Lol. In what ******* world are Janssen and Sissoko starting 11 players? They are depth in every sense of the word and absolutely they could be improved upon. And that's exactly what we're looking to do and what many Spurs fans on here have said. If you were to do a squad 'power ranking' type then Janseen wouldn't be top 15 and Sissoko wouldn't be top 20.

As for Dembele and Wanyama it is highly debatable we could improve on without spending a lot. Wanyama was the second best DM in the league this season. Chelsea had to shell out 40m for a DM and it remains to be seen if he'll get to the same level as Wanyama in the PL. While Dembele has widely been regarded as one of the top CM's in the league over the last two seasons and is often cited by Spurs players as the best player in the squad and by opposition midfielders as their hardest opponent. Admittedly, he is 30 and injury prone. If we were to shell out on someone like Kovacic, for example (if he indicated he wanted out) then perhaps we could replace him with a different type of player, albeit one that might not fit into Pochettino's preferred profile of CM, given he likes powerful all-round types in there.

Yes, we could improve on Trippier, however most of those comments were made when we still had Walker, who would have been difficult to improve on. I expect to see movement on this front soon.

As for Dier, United are reportedly happy to pay 60m for him. Not sure where we are going to find a very good young player who can play 3 positions for a pittance. I mean, United just paid 30-odd mil for a player the same age who can only play CB and who has only done it in the Portugese league.

The reality is that you got rightly called out for your bullshit 'There isn't a player in the world who could improve Spurs' call when no one actually said that and now your trying to shift the goal posts to save yourself from embarrassment. It's not working.

You're pulling our legs surely. Sissoko and Janssen starting XI, pretty easy to improve on Lamela, he's been injured that long. Ha. Trippier may be improved upon, quite possibly, he may be rewarding with promotion to first choice.

Dembele can't play 3 in a week so a player to compliment him would be nice. No need to buy a DM, we already have 2 and our defensive record would suggest they perform the role rather well.

But this is a nice strawman, no one would argue about finding players as good or better than most of these, but that wasn't the disagreement nor did anyone say they can't be replaced. In fact you're saying the same thing that we are essentially. Improving the bench depth, not the best players. Half of those are bench players.

Ignoring the laughable inclusion of average bench players and ignoring the fact that this was a disagreement about the best few on the roster, what was argued was that most of the defence merely doesn't need improvement, only to strengthen the now vacant RB and that the players in the position we could use more depth which is AM cannot by improved upon feasibly. Yes Eriksen, Son and Alli can't on our budget but we need more AM's, this has been why we've drawn too many games the last two seasons, this is where the improvement can come from as from memory we've lost 10 games in the last two seasons and if statistics are anything to go by are a good chance to again have either the best defence or 2nd best.

Surely the best course of action is to focus on weaknesses and for us that's been draws, it's bloody hard to improve on 4 defeats in the season and in at least two of those defeats they were close 1-0 where we were toothless in attack, most of them btw aren't the 'we got lucky' kind of draw, most have been games we've dominated but haven't converted chances into enough goals.

Do you know that we're not targeting one? I don't know, I ask as our business is usually better kept quiet in recent years.

Why should we be frustrated given he's tried at least 3 players in the market to find that type. Hasn't found the right one yet but he's clearly looking.

Frustrated why? It's only a lack of activity if nothing has happened by September 1. What's that about 5.5 weeks away? Plenty of time to find 3-4 players to improve the squad as a whole.

Chirpiness at Pool fans mostly. That's pretty standard given how much nonsense you lot carry on with. Nervousness? Ha this is by far the calmest we've ever been. No longer a basket case on field selling numerous players and being weak in numerous areas.

No one is saying this. By god do I have to tattoo it on your forehead. There are some that are going to be hard to improve on, or won't be replaced.

You're assuming we won't sign players too. We will. I'd rather follow their model than that of others spunking upwards of 60m on players. The last 3 champions have only got a max transfer of that said £40m in comparison, so why follow those that are overspending for the privilege of not winning. Madness.

Real are in a similar position to Spurs in that there's no room for improvement so we've been quiet too. I don't think Kovacic is available though, but we have a player in Danilo who could be available. He has played at DM before. He's being chased by Juve and Chelsea atm
Danilo is world class. Doesn't suit your system but he is easily better than Carvajal IMO. Shame Danilo and Zidane couldn't put aside their differences because he'd be your starting RB if they did.

Real are in a similar position to Spurs in that there's no room for improvement so we've been quiet too. I don't think Kovacic is available though, but we have a player in Danilo who could be available. He has played at DM before. He's being chased by Juve and Chelsea atm
Shame our working agreement couldn't have helped us get Kovacic! He'd be a handy player to add this summer

Didi and Duncan Watmore are better IMO. Would be up there. Still, defensive solidity in the Championship is important and Kalas and Lees are the two best CBs in that league. That and getting Kalas would piss off Mooch.
Kalas was so two years go :D

We've got local boy Dael Fry who was part of the under-20 world cup winning team - he'll play every week this year. As it stands, he'll play beside local boy Ben Gibson (though in all honesty I'll be surprised if he's still a Boro player on September 1st). I think we'll be defensively strong again this year and now with Assombalonga, we just need somebody to supply him and we might even score a handful of goals.

Bojan KantKick you are the top contributor in this thread but you've still not given us the five players from the other top 6 clubs you'd have...

My bad, missed that.

Not bad picks, surprised you went for Rose though

Remove this Banner Ad

Back