Prediction Q: If you start 0-2, is it time to look to the future?

Remove this Banner Ad

Bump - fair few egg on faces here I would have thought with the numbers men holding a completely dominant hand over the '2 GAMES IS TOO EARLY TO JUDGE ANYTHING' feeling/intuition brigade.

Looks like every 0-2 team will miss finals with perhaps St Kilda sneaking in.

Turns out if you start 0-2 its probably because you're not a good team - not because you had a 'tough draw'

Good stat/analysis Dirty Bird
Here's hoping gws and Essendon can get up this week

I've been following this stat for 2 or 3 years now myself and would be intrigued in seeing if It maintains another year.
But this year is unusual with 8 0-2 teams, so I guess there's a good chance one might make it.
I do feel bad that I'm hoping st Kilda miss just to improve the validility of my statement and The stats, but if the 8 come from the 8 2-0 teams or gws I'll be intrigued to see what the media says in the offseason (we all know they're reading this) and how clubs approach future seasons.

Back half of the year
And no one in the top 8 started 0-2...
(Que Collingwood winning)

What a weak opportunistic bump. How long have you been waiting to do this?
Just yesterday (and the weeks preceding it), freo were in the top 8 despite starting 0-2.

I'm not saying it's a certainty, I'm under no illusions to our form this year. But if we best the Tigers next week, we'll be a game out of the 8 with half the season to go.
You wont make the finals

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I'm not saying it's a certainty, I'm under no illusions to our form this year. But if we best the Tigers next week, we'll be a game out of the 8 with half the season to go.

People said that after you won a few games, then promptly lost to Hawks.
Swans are not that good, but more importantly they are coming from a mathematically tough win-loss situation. Won't happen.

People said that after you won a few games, then promptly lost to Hawks.
Swans are not that good, but more importantly they are coming from a mathematically tough win-loss situation. Won't happen.

Sure, we lost to the Hawks, but at the same time, along with the Giants we've got the best record in the league over the last 5 weeks.

Look, I'm not saying we're going to make the finals. My guess is we'll end up 10th or thereabouts. But this thread is asking whether sides that start 0-2 should just give up. My point was that was started 0-6 and we're still in the hunt for a finals spot, so the premise of this thread is ridiculous.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well actually percentsge isnt huge this year. Haha

But yes, the variation in percentsge is quite small.
Not for Hawthorn. Same reason why Freo will struggle - their percentage is trash.

All the "experts" told us if you begin the season 0-4, you cannot possibly make the finals .... even though there's still 18 games to go ... figure that one out. At 0-5 the "experts" told us the Hawks couldn't make it, but Sydney could. Once again, work that one out. Then at 0-6, "experts" told us Sydney were gone and could not possibly make the finals.

Moral of the story, "experts" have no freakin' idea what they're talking about.

Newsflash! You win 11 games with a % of 80, you still finish higher than a team on 10 wins with a % of 110.
You do, yes, but when you have 12 teams all within a 3-win bracket, you are almost certain to finish on the same number of points as those teams.

Oddly enough, the best result for Hawthorn and Freo for their September chances would be a draw.

It's still a long-shot but if the Swans make finals from 0-6 then the fabric of space-time may unravel. We'll be like Bizarro North Melbourne.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back