Prediction Q: If you start 0-2, is it time to look to the future?

Remove this Banner Ad

Nice to read this thread in retrospect....to get here my mob just played a 14-2 Final series.

We are a bit beaten up with injuries, so the break will do the Bloods no harm.

We also beat each member of the probable final 4 on their home decks
Clearly the best team in the league atm. So many finals-hardened performers.

Just have to get it done

Just have to get it done

Nice message. Suspect the weekly pressure to get there after 0-6 will ultimately tell on them. Don't know if we are the best - 6th on the ladder on the ladder tells its own story at the end. All the teams that make it to the 8 deserve it, even (cough) Essendon (cough). One thing I expect is that if and when we go down it will not be for the absence of commitment.

Yep congrats.
Unprecedented run.
Would back the odds of 0-2 teams struggling and 0-6 teams being finished in 2018 and beyond, despite Sydney's run.

Me too. There's always reversion to the mean.

You'd never want to see your team putting the cue in the rack 7 weeks in, though. It can be done.

Nice message. Suspect the weekly pressure to get there after 0-6 will ultimately tell on them. Don't know if we are the best - 6th on the ladder on the ladder tells its own story at the end. All the teams that make it to the 8 deserve it, even (cough) Essendon (cough). One thing I expect is that if and when we go down it will not be for the absence of commitment.
If you ignore the brainfart/injuries/whatever happened rounds 1-6, you guys are that far superior to everyone else it's not funny.

In saying this though, it'll be another huge mental hurdle to win 4 in a row to take it out.

If you ignore the brainfart/injuries/whatever happened rounds 1-6, you guys are that far superior to everyone else it's not funny.

In saying this though, it'll be another huge mental hurdle to win 4 in a row to take it out.

Doubt the club or fans see us as far superior. It has been a great home and away season for all fans. I expect the finals will continue to throw up curve balls and shock results. The comp is so even that every finals team and their fans should enter every finals match chocker block with confidence.

That said I hope the best for my mob in the first week of the Finals. Personally I am already on the edge of my chair.

Just have to get it done

Debatable.

Crows, Cats and Tigers are probably the big 3 current contenders.

Swans may need to go up a gear to get past these 3 sides

Debatable.

Not sure what more you want from the Swans as they have wins against all three of those teams, since the bye, on their home turf.

I said Sydney were the exception to the rule.
Still are.
0% of teams not named Sydney have done it without afl commission intervention.

I said Sydney were the exception to the rule.
Still are.
0% of teams not named Sydney have done it without afl commission intervention.
No you didn't. You contradicted yourself, because in your OP, you stated that there was a 2% chance of making the finals so you should forget about finals. You were suggesting that Sydney should have forgotten about finals.

Does look to the future mean booking rooms in Melbourne for grand final weekend? Then the answer is "yes".

Debatable.

Now I'm going to be careful to not get ahead of ourselves here but, since the debacle that was the first six rounds of the competition, we have clearly been the form side of the competition and only lost to Hawthorn (because they obviously have some voodoo curse thing on us). We've beaten the Crows, Cats and Tigers all away and you say we need to go up a gear to compete? Now we have a harder road in finals finishing outside the top 4 and might just as likely get rolled by Essendon if they are on but I fail to see how you have come to this conclusion.

No you didn't. You contradicted yourself, because in your OP, you stated that there was a 2% chance of making the finals so you should forget about finals. You were suggesting that Sydney should have forgotten about finals.
Please read further into the thread.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With what’s left at 0-1 I’d write all of them off this week with another loss this weekend.

Well the teams at risk and the games they play are

North Melbourne vs St Kilda (Etihad)
Carlton vs Gold Coast (Etihad)
Collingwood vs GWS (MCG)
Fremantle vs Essendon (Optus)
Brisbane vs Melbourne (Gabba)
Western Bulldogs vs West Coast (Etihad)

So at the very least we are going to have 2 teams start 0-2 because there are two games where both clubs did not win round 1. There is a potential for up to 6 clubs being 0-2 after 2 rounds as well.

Well the teams at risk and the games they play are

North Melbourne vs St Kilda (Etihad)
Carlton vs Gold Coast (Etihad)
Collingwood vs GWS (MCG)
Fremantle vs Essendon (Optus)
Brisbane vs Melbourne (Gabba)
Western Bulldogs vs West Coast (Etihad)

So at the very least we are going to have 2 teams start 0-2 because there are two games where both clubs did not win round 1. There is a potential for up to 6 clubs being 0-2 after 2 rounds as well.
Out of these teams only West Coast made the finals last year. Most of the time their is only 2-3 changes in the top 8 from the previous year.

Out of the team 0-1 I only see Melbourne, West Coast, and Westen Bulldogs as realistic changes of making the 8. If Melbourne lose they don't deserve to play finals. The game between the Dogs and Eagles will be interesting. Eagles lose they will show again that they can't win away and Dogs they will show they can't win at home.

With what’s left at 0-1 I’d write all of them off this week with another loss this weekend.
Agree... Was looking at the ladder after round 1 and thought to myself that I wouldn’t be very surprised at all if that top 8 stayed similar throughout the year.

Freo were lucky not to win the spoon. 4 very close wins. Overachieved IIRC
As I said, Gloria Estefan is one of my favourite artists of all time. One of my favourite songs by her is cuts both ways.

Yes we won 4 close games last year. We also lost 4 close games by 3 goals or less: The 8 point loss to the saints, the 2 point loss to the cats, the 13 point loss to GWS and the 14 point loss to Essendon.]

Again, cuts both ways

As I said, Gloria Estefan is one of my favourite artists of all time. One of my favourite songs by her is cuts both ways.

Yes we won 4 close games last year. We also lost 4 close games by 3 goals or less: The 8 point loss to the saints, the 2 point loss to the cats, the 13 point loss to GWS and the 14 point loss to Essendon.]

Again, cuts both ways
ANd probably for another discussion, but that says a lot about your antiquated coach. Can't win games of footy if you can't kick scores.

ANd probably for another discussion, but that says a lot about your antiquated coach. Can't win games of footy if you can't kick scores.
Fancy that. Yet back when freo made the Grand final In 2013, Freo were averaging 93 points a game conceding 68. Freo that season kicked 100 points or more 10 times in the home and away season including kicking 99 in one game.

Do you want to compare that to Richmond of 2017 and Dogs of 2016 as they scored less on average compared to Freo of 2013.

Fancy that. Yet back when freo made the Grand final In 2013, Freo were averaging 93 points a game conceding 68. Freo that season kicked 100 points or more 10 times in the home and away season including kicking 99 in one game.

Do you want to compare that to Richmond of 2017 and Dogs of 2016 as they scored less on average compared to Freo of 2013.
Talking about today, 2018. It doesn't work anymore. * the sooner you get rid of Lyon the sooner you can start climbing the ladder.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back