Strategy If you were coach

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd have had Frost in over Bugg. Would give us more flexibility down back to cope with talls. He's not great overhead for his size, but he'll at least be able to go around the ground with any tall.

I probably would have had Frost in for the Geelong game, but the only problem with it is that we are starting to look too tall for the modern game with Frost and Pederson in the same side. Frost can’t go forward and Pedo can’t go back - that’s why TMac is perfect. We can start him forward but deploy him defensively if things need some manoeuvring like they did half way through the second quarter last week.

Petracca, Oliver and Jones were fine, but the rotations of ANB, Hannan, Maynard, Salem (although for a little patch there Salem was good), etc didn't work out. Lewis got a bit of it, but from my viewing didn't seem to use the ball that well: hand balled more often than not to players under the pump. Tyson back will help, but you'd think we'd need Viney back as well, and on the weekend's viewing, the other midfield rotation I'd have would be Vince.

Guess we'll see how Goodwin sees it today.
Lol I forgot about Trac. Oops. Yeah he was great. Viney is our real beast in and under, better than Oliver in that regard really. Bit more explosive. Salem moves nicely through the contest and finds space to kick it nicely but doesn't do it often enough. We'll see indeed.

I probably would have had Frost in for the Geelong game, but the only problem with it is that we are starting to look too tall for the modern game with Frost and Pederson in the same side. Frost can’t go forward and Pedo can’t go back - that’s why TMac is perfect. We can start him forward but deploy him defensively if things need some manoeuvring like they did half way through the second quarter last week.
Geelong successfully played Lonergan, Taylor and Henderson last year.

Remember when Frost was playing as a CHF? I kind of do and wish I didn't.

I don't think Frost counts as a tall so much. He has the speed and mobility and is useful at ground level. It's playing the likes of Hogan, Pedersen, Gawn, OMac, Wiedeman in the same team where you worry about the opposition runners peeling off. Hogan needs to do better on that front.

If I'm coach:

FB: Jetta, O.McDonald, Lever
HB: Hibberd, Frost, Brayshaw
CC: Salem, Tyson, Hunt
HF: Petracca, Hogan, Melksham
FF: Garlett, Pedersen, Fritsch
RR: Gawn, Jones, Oliver
IC: Lewis, Vince, ANB, Bugg

If I'm coach:

FB: Jetta, O.McDonald, Lever
HB: Hibberd, Frost, Hunt
CC:
Salem, Tyson, Jones
HF: ANB
, Hogan, Melksham
FF: Garlett, Pedersen, Hannan
RR:
Gawn, Petracca, Oliver
IC: Fritsch, Vince, Wagner, Brayshaw

TMac comes in for Pedo and Viney comes in for Wagner.

Geelong successfully played Lonergan, Taylor and Henderson last year.

They are different players, and I’d also argue that this structure wasn’t the reason they had a good year.

Anyway, we are in agreement that Frost and OMac in the side would certainly help release Lever to a more affective role.

Let’s see what happens over the next few weeks, and whether Lever plays some good football, or whether we bring in another tall defender.

Harrison Petty had some good reviews from yesterday’s Casey game, which is great. Frost had a very good game by the sounds of it too.

Remember when Frost was playing as a CHF? I kind of do and wish I didn't.

I don't think Frost counts as a tall so much. He has the speed and mobility and is useful at ground level. It's playing the likes of Hogan, Pedersen, Gawn, OMac, Wiedeman in the same team where you worry about the opposition runners peeling off. Hogan needs to do better on that front.

Too many good talls is a good problem to have.

If Weideman can come on, then all our issues are solved as TMac can go back into defence.

Too many good talls is a good problem to have.

If Weideman can come on, then all our issues are solved as TMac can go back into defence.

I prefer TMac up front to Hogan at the moment. TMac leads at the ball carrier and applies some forward pressure. Not really a fan of the way Hogan goes about things.

I prefer TMac up front to Hogan at the moment. TMac leads at the ball carrier and applies some forward pressure. Not really a fan of the way Hogan goes about things.
I agree re Hogan. He needs to become a much more dominant KPP. Hogan just doesn’t inspire me enough as a leading forward. McDonald is an uncomplicated operator. Lead, mark, kick. More campaigner as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He needs to realize that the game doesn’t stop if the ball is not in his hands. He was shitful last week defensively. In fact that’s his default defensive output.

If I were coach, I'd be sacking the strength/conditioning/fitness/sports science staff we have at the club at the moment.

Just look at the injury lists through the year. 14 players on it at round one, players estimated return dates not improving for weeks and weeks on end. The amount of recurring injuries we seem to have at present, and playing injured players. It's diabolical.

If I were coach, I'd be sacking the strength/conditioning/fitness/sports science staff we have at the club at the moment.

Just look at the injury lists through the year. 14 players on it at round one, players estimated return dates not improving for weeks and weeks on end. The amount of recurring injuries we seem to have at present, and playing injured players. It's diabolical.

Thats actually horrific lol, if you have a 44 man list that means only 8 players were available for the reserves and a couple of those would have been Bradke and that other Walker campaigner.

Yeah this is a deal breaker for me. I always maintained we would have a down year this year and then next year deliver. This has to be the season to weed out the final areas of weakness and that’s got to me Misson. We’ve just got to throw huge $$$ at the best. Even if it means getting someone from overseas, we need an absolute pro.

You can’t be competitive without your guns. Geelong & Hawthorn always had their guns fit and firing when it mattered. Always.

Goodwin also needs to decide which of his assistants are worth keeping beyond this year or even beyond a certain point.

I think its pretty s**t that we havent taken an assistant coach from another club since * knows when? Seems like a circle jerk of yes men

Yeah this is a deal breaker for me. I always maintained we would have a down year this year and then next year deliver. This has to be the season to weed out the final areas of weakness and that’s got to me Misson. We’ve just got to throw huge $$$ at the best. Even if it means getting someone from overseas, we need an absolute pro.

You can’t be competitive without your guns. Geelong & Hawthorn always had their guns fit and firing when it mattered. Always.
Correct. I mean, injuries happen sure, but it seems to me that our list this year can't have been that unlucky. Even for us, pretty much the unluckiest sporting franchise in the world.

There has to be a management element to it, I'm convinced.

It was no coincidence that tigers were so good during the period they barely had any injuries. Clearly there was some luck there, but just the same as I think with us, there was probably good management in there contributing to it as well.

Decisions like what we did to Joel Smith should make everyone on this board furious. Not to mention Viney and now TMac. From the outside is just seems like utter incompetence. And if there is more to it than that, then tell your members what is going on.

Either way it is a farce.

I think its pretty s**t that we havent taken an assistant coach from another club since **** knows when? Seems like a circle jerk of yes men
Pretty much. I mean how do you improve? I get we’ve got a decent list and we got it together for 6 weeks last year but seriously, so we want to be a one hit wonder PF side or a premiership one? Time to approach WC, Geelong, Hawthorn and throw some serious offers around. We just need to get uncomfortable.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back