If you were list manager…

Remove this Banner Ad

Cunners goes around again because he is contracted, and if Shiels wants another year he can have one. I'd be delisting:
1. A Hall
2. A Bonar
3. D Howe
4. J Mahony
5. K Dawson
6. L Young
7. J Ziebell
8. T Goldstein
9. P Spicer
10. K Turner
11. B McKay (Leaves as free agent)

That's 11 de-listings at an average age of over 27. It will make us considerably less experienced but where possible we can backfill our VFL team with experience as most of these guys are 2's players now (except Ziebs).

To replace these players i''d be doing the following
1. 2 players from priority compensation picks that need to be traded, same as last year.
2. Pick up two players aged 23-26 as delisted free agents
3. 5 players at the national draft

My hunch is we will have to reduce our Rookie List next year, if not re-rookie some depth players to help out with the VFL program.

Players I'd be targeting as DFA's or trades would be:
- Toby McLean
  • Sam Wicks
  • Tom Highmore
  • Will Gould
  • Hunter Clark
  • Jake Riccardi
  • Sam Flanders
  • Ryan Lester
  • Noah Answerth
The question is though does cunners really want to play out another whole year in vfl

He may still choose to retire early and enjoy family and farm life

Trade - McDonald, McKay (FA)

Retire - Ziebell, Cunnington, Goldstein

Delist - Mahony, Howe, Bonar, Young, Turner, Edwards, Spicer, Hall

Rookie - Corr, Taylor, Lazzaro
This is what I would do.

What is reasonable in the circumstances?

Free Agent - McKay. McDonald survives and gives up the captaincy, then plies his trade in the VFL

Retire - Cunnington (Goldi and Ziebs get another year as we can't axe too many players in go)

Delist - Mahony, Howe, Bonar, Young, Turner, Edwards, Spicer, Hall

Rookie - Corr, Taylor, Lazzaro

Last edited:
If we are purging the older players from the backline, we need to trade back in to it, if not things get hard.

How is dawson progressing? I am assuming that he is longer term rather than a complete waste, but I dont know.

Goater is absolutely going to be key for us moving forward into next year and comming in to replace a zeiball, here is hoping that his injury is just a hiccup and not a sign of things to come.

I would seriously think about swinging combden across to be the centrepiece of the backline to replace a potential loss of McKay - knowing forward craft puts you halfway to defensive craft, and he certainly has athleticism and strength with a dominating attitude to be that next great KPD.

However with all this we are going to lose positional depth without trading, and potentially even with trading if we don't get it right or cut deep, so we are probably going to need to look at drafting tall IMO, giving flexibility with how we can deploy our top end talent. Which is a shame because there is perhaps the best small forward I've seen in the draft comming through.

I love seeing all these great ideas that won’t happen. Y’all know we’ll be back round 1 next year, Lmac will still be captain, most of the deadwood we’re talking about will still be getting games.

Yep. Will be very interesting to observe.

It's your way, and your shtick.

Curtis? Persist, likely/possible part of our future. Needs a good pre-season.
Harvey? Persist, likely/possible part of our future. Needs to build his tank.
Goater? Persist, likely part of our future.
Hansen? Persist.
Edwards? Delist.
My harsh was directed at Arthur, he said six I got more, ha.

And I realise that we aren’t moving on that many and can’t. I’d rather chat about victories. Unfortunately they aren't currently happening.

But I do also like the look of a few and was a huge Maj fan, so my shtck I'd rather interpret as reality, not personal bias.

Oh I didn't do the whole list as it got rather depressing.

Curtis- is fine.
Harvey- well yet to debut, so tough having a read on him. But he seems to be making his mark.
Hansen- as above
Edwards- cost us nothing, was a free hit, I suppose you ask yourself, would another club take a punt. If so keep him.
Goater- seems to be that tall lanky pacey type that is successful in the modern game.
Was chatting about CCJ yesterday and Monkhurst is adamant he'll make it. So that's some good news, and yes a few have said as much.

Anyways. good to see you back.

We have that many off contract that we won't be able to rid all the deadwood at once. As list manager I'd be wanting to see all of them have a block of games to show what they can do if they've been going good in vfl that is. We've seen enough of spicer Howe Turner hall to know they all won't make the cut however players such as young Dawson perez all deserve their chance to show what they can do. Especially considering its an area of the field struggling. Dawson of all of them Especially deserves a go as we're so light on talls

There’s not one player on that list who we could trade to another club no one team would want any of them
Have a look at who we have delisted over the last 4 years.

Wood is the only one who has played with another club.

We aren't getting any points from the players who will go this year apart from McKay

Let McKay go if it turns out we get pick 3 or a 1st round pick compo.

Trade pick 2 for 2 first round picks

Get a bunch of key position kids (key defender, intercept defender, key forward)
Exactly, we need multiple players. We could have been in clover if we had accepted the Crows bid for Horne Francis.

This is about as inspiring as going through an undie drawer deciding what’s too far gone
You need a gif to go with this.
spongebob underpants GIF by Videoland

Exactly, we need multiple players. We could have been in clover if we had accepted the Crows bid for Horne Francis.
not as simple as that, likely not what we were planning but the retrade of corn frances enabled a pick back in high that crows wouldnt have had in the following years superdraft where we got wardlaw.

Dude no. The crow deal wasn't all that.

We cashed out on JHFF ok. It's most other deals we butchered.
The deal that I reference is what Adelaide offered to us for the first round pick we used for JHFF, not thet deal we had to take when he left.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The deal that I reference is what Adelaide offered to us for the first round pick we used for JHFF, not thet deal we had to take when he left.

I’m pretty sure the Adelaide proposal equated to pick 6, pick 6 in 2022 and a first round pick tied to Melbourne. They wanted our 2nd round pick in return which would have basically cancelled out the Melbourne pick.

I’m pretty sure the Adelaide proposal equated to pick 6, pick 6 in 2022 and a first round pick tied to Melbourne. They wanted our 2nd round pick in return which would have basically cancelled out the Melbourne pick.
Someone put this up awhile ago and IIRC we would have got three first round picks over two years.

Brisbane got Bailey in the mid teens and Starcevich at 18. Starcevich finished third in the Lions BF last year.We would have got top 10 picks and we cashed in that number one pick.

Given our recruiting record it probably been a waste of time as well (and that is our ten year problem) but we need multiple new players, nit just a star or two.

Someone put this up awhile ago and IIRC we would have got three first round picks over two years.

Brisbane got Bailey in the mid teens and Starcevich at 18. Starcevich finished third in the Lions BF last year.We would have got top 10 picks and we cashed in that number one pick.

Given our recruiting record it probably been a waste of time as well (and that is our ten year problem) but we need multiple new players, nit just a star or two.
Yeah, 6, 6, and about 18 with 1 and 21 going back. We ended with 2 and TBC. Effectively 1 fir 6 & 6.

Hardly the haul it was made out to be.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

I would go
Pick 14 for Oliver take full salary

Pick 19pp 2023 pick 19pp 2024 for Sean darcy

Pick 20pp 2024 for Dylan stevens and pick 32

Pick 32 for fisher

Pick 2 and 2024 2nd rounder for darling salary and pick 1

Pick 1 Harley read
Pick 3 coby mckercher

I would go
Pick 14 for Oliver take full salary

Pick 19pp 2023 pick 19pp 2024 for Sean darcy

Pick 20pp 2024 for Dylan stevens and pick 32

Pick 32 for fisher

Pick 2 and 2024 2nd rounder for darling salary and pick 1

Pick 1 Harley read
Pick 3 coby mckercher
Dees would want more than that if they are serious about going after Reid..most likely #2....which we wouldn't give them...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back