Society/Culture If you were on Newstart, how would you spend your $40 a day?

AFL Club
Adelaide
Thread starter #1
I usually find 'The Project' awful but I did find last night's skit on living on Newstart on $40 a day pretty funny - the guy was buying smashed avo on toast. lmao

Of course, the outrage tsunami has hit the shores.....some clearly didn't get the point of the bit

What would you all spend your 40 shekels a day on?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Royal Flush

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I usually find 'The Project' awful but I did find last night's skit on living on Newstart on $40 a day pretty funny - the guy was buying smashed avo on toast. lmao

Of course, the outrage tsunami has hit the shores.....some clearly didn't get the point of the bit

What would you all spend your 40 shekels a day on?
Get the whole amount, buy some gear and start selling
Should go upward from there.
Tax free too.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Snake_Baker

L'enfant terrible
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
The Unicornia Reactants
Where is all of this chop chop?

I found a XXXX XX XXXXX who sold clearly fake or something packs for $10 cash but that's the only place I've ever seen anything like it.

Federal agents are en route to his location. Well done mate. Remind me to never sell you any drugs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AFL Club
Geelong
Does anyone here actually know many living on Newstart because they're too lazy to get a job?

I've never met anyone with that disposition other than dealers.
Not currently that I know of but I have known plenty in my younger years. Cost of living was much cheaper then, smokes and grog heaps cheaper and some used to share a house and pool their resources, others just lived at home with parents and basically sat on their computers chatting or gaming all day. They'd come out at night all pasty skinned.

EasternTiger

Premiership Player
AFL Club
Richmond
If you lived at home with mom and pop you'd **** it in. Say you chipped in $100 a week for room and board. Then:

Brew your own beer.
Grow your own weed.
Veggie patch.
Few chooks running around.

With Labor looking like winning I've half a mind to throw in the towel and just go on the dole.

AFL Club
Geelong
If you lived at home with mom and pop you'd **** it in. Say you chipped in $100 a week for room and board. Then:

Brew your own beer.
Grow your own weed.
Veggie patch.
Few chooks running around.

With Labor looking like winning I've half a mind to throw in the towel and just go on the dole.
None of the ones I knew would pay board. Free everything, food, utilities, washing, ironing, taxi service if needed and landline phone (no Foxtel or internet in those days)

CM86

Anindilyakwa
AFL Club
St Kilda
Nearly everyone I ever knew who lived off the dole, had rich parents and a sense of entitlement.
They spent a lot of time complaining about Aboriginals and Asians.

EasternTiger

Premiership Player
AFL Club
Richmond
None of the ones I knew would pay board. Free everything, food, utilities, washing, ironing, taxi service if needed and landline phone (no Foxtel or internet in those days)
Children of immigrants?

I come from immigrant stock. When I moved out mum used to call me everyday to check I hadn't starved or been struck down by the plague. Fathers of immigrant friends would call my dad to complain. Apparently, I was encouraging their 20 year old sons to also leave home...unmarried!

The reason for that is back in the village they would all live together in one house, and every few decades they'd all starve to death, or marauding bandits would loot them and then burn them alive over hot coals.

As a consequence, many of us are now useless due to overprotective parents.

Generational helplessness.

Top Bottom