Society/Culture If you were on Newstart, how would you spend your $40 a day?

Goroyals22

Senior List
Jun 29, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast
Yeah, I literally do not know of a single person that I've met in the past ~10 years who lives on -- or rather -- chooses to live on Newstart.

If you believe people here, you'd swear 20% of Australians are just looking to mooch off the well-to-do people for fun.
Sadly there are plenty of people for who the dole is a way of life and how they choose to live. What makes it worse is now you see the parents and the kids going down the same path.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

donkeypunchd

Club Legend
Nov 26, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
Wonder how ScoMo reconciles his refusal to pay the unemployed a reasonable benefit with his Christian beliefs. My understanding of Christianity (based predominantly on the doctrine of the Roman Catholic Church) is that such behaviour, i.e. failure to assist those in need, is worthy of damnation.

Matthew 25:41-46

41 “Then He will also say to those on the left hand, ‘Depart from Me, you cursed, into the everlasting fire prepared for the devil and his angels:42 for I was hungry and you gave Me no food; I was thirsty and you gave Me no drink; 43 I was a stranger and you did not take Me in, naked and you did not clothe Me, sick and in prison and you did not visit Me.’

44 “Then they also will answer [b]Him, saying, ‘Lord, when did we see You hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or sick or in prison, and did not minister to You?’ 45 Then He will answer them, saying, ‘Assuredly, I say to you,inasmuch as you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to Me.’ 46 And these will go away into everlasting punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.”
For those who argue that his personal beliefs should be regarded as separate from his policy positions, the PM invited cameras into his church as part of the election campaign, that makes it fair game in my view.

NSWCROW

TheBrownDog
Sep 16, 2006
NW SYNNEY
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
STURT - LIVERPOOL
LOL !!!!

Can't even buy a picture magazine on it.
Geez wouldn't be a conservative government by any chance would it ??

Last edited:

Craven Morehead

I really don't care what you think.
Jan 2, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Evidence, please.

Do you know how much the dole is?
jesus christ.
Your endless excuses about jobs and their difficulties, their unavailability, (or some other bulls**t reason for not taking them), is wearing thin.
Are you seriously saying that there ISN'T thousands upon thousands of people who choose to live on welfare as a life choice?
This whole $40 a day argument is also bulls**t...
add rent assistance, the health care and pension cards, child payments, subsidised food etc from charities.
There are so many people milking the system in so many ways, and they are generational...

You are either willingly blind or some Green shill.

Gethelred

Norm Smith Medallist
May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
jesus christ.
Your endless excuses about jobs and their difficulties, their unavailability, (or some other bulls**t reason for not taking them), is wearing thin.
Are you seriously saying that there ISN'T thousands upon thousands of people who choose to live on welfare as a life choice?
add rent assistance, the health care and pension cards, child payments, subsidised food etc from charities.
There are so many people milking the system in so many ways, and they are generational...

Um, wat?

Yes, I'm saying there are people who - shock, horror - cannot live on the dole. Because, as previously stated, it is not enough to live on. I know, because I've been on it. I don't have an 'endless list' of anything; if anything, you are the one who is coming in here and attacking me, endlessly. You lack an argument beyond 'Get a job, bludger.' Well, I've got 2, and the system is still a problem even though I am no longer within it.

Newsflash: sometimes just because you yourself have failed to experience something doesn't mean it doesn't exist. You don't have to be a 'green shill' to see facts. But then, there's only one side of this particular discussion assuming something of the other, and it ain't me.
Well I’ve worked in the industry for 6 years so I’ve seen every type of person come through....

There are plenty who are more than happy to tick the box and get the dole... that’s a fact..

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Okay.

Do you mind if I ask you for some details, without breaching confidentiality of course? Like, where you were, the conditions in the market, the jobs you referred people to, etc?

Craven Morehead

Jan 2, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Um, wat?

Yes, I'm saying there are people who - shock, horror - cannot live on the dole. Because, as previously stated, it is not enough to live on. I know, because I've been on it. I don't have an 'endless list' of anything; if anything, you are the one who is coming in here and attacking me, endlessly. You lack an argument beyond 'Get a job, bludger.' Well, I've got 2, and the system is still a problem even though I am no longer within it.

Newsflash: sometimes just because you yourself have failed to experience something doesn't mean it doesn't exist. You don't have to be a 'green shill' to see facts. But then, there's only one side of this particular discussion assuming something of the other, and it ain't me.
Son, you live in a time of historically low unemployment levels, never before seen low interest and inflation rates, an incredibly cheap availability of travel and you are sitting here, smugly, telling me that I have failed to experience tough times?
Have you ever seen an actual recession?
Interest rates at 17%?
Unemployment rates at over 10% and over 30% for youth?
A dole which was JUST the dole...no further added benefits like rent assistance etc.
Tried travelling from Perth to Sydney etc for the equivalent price of a new car?
No housing boom where Mummy and Daddy could back you up through their new found wealth via the equity in their home?

LOL!

In two posts I have shown you 153,000 jobs available to Australia's unemployed.
I have also pointed out that this entire premise of $40 a day is absolute bulls**t!
Show me one welfare recipient who survives on the dole ALONE, and does not receive further benefits?

You f***ing spanker.
Don't lecture me.

Gethelred

Norm Smith Medallist
May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Son, you live in a time of historically low unemployment levels, never before seen low interest and inflation rates, an incredibly cheap availability of travel and you are sitting here, smugly, telling me that I have failed to experience tough times?
Have you ever seen an actual recession?
Interest rates at 17%?
Unemployment rates at over 10% and over 30% for youth?
A dole which was JUST the dole...no further added benefits like rent assistance etc.
Tried travelling from Perth to Sydney etc for the equivalent price of a new car?
No housing boom where Mummy and Daddy could back you up through their new found wealth via the equity in their home?

LOL!

In two posts I have shown you 153,000 jobs available to Australia's unemployed.
I have also pointed out that this entire premise of $40 a day is absolute bulls**t!
Show me one welfare recipient who survives on the dole ALONE, and does not receive further benefits?

You f***ing spanker.
Don't lecture me.
There is something deeply ironic that in a post in which you tell me not to lecture you, you've seen fit to try and lecture me.

So, old timer, have a seat.

I live in a time in which successive governments have deliberately obscured employment figures, conflating casual and seasonal work to create the illusion of a full workforce when the reality is that there is a chronic underemployment problem in this country, with increasingly less job security and other flow on effects. I live in a time which follows successive neoliberal governments that have ensured their electoral supremacy via pork-barrelling the middle class, to hide the fact that they have stripped money from services and given them straight back to business via tax breaks, to the point in which many of these organisations do not pay taxes, out of supposed economic theories which have not worked anywhere in any context in the interests of anyone save the extremely wealthy. I live in a time in which public debt is extremely high, due to a series of policies created by that government which have turned a housing bubble into a ticking bomb, ensuring that the majority of people's money is not being saved but is in property which they do not own.

I live in a time in which older generations who - as you state - undoubtedly did it tough, but continuously assert that, seeing as they did it 'all by themselves', my generation should be forced to endure barriers to entry into various wealth making enterprises that they did not have to fight against, after they took advantage of the previous generation's beneficence.

I live in a time in which the government has obscured and demurred, refused to provide a straightforward explanation over the Newstart payment and its associated offshoots. I live in a time in which they've created those distinctions to further decrease the payment down to component parts, in order to make each individual component harder to obtain. I live in a time in which the system created to manage it is faulty, given to individuals without experience in finding jobs for others, and who need to comply with government ahead of their duties to their clients. I live in a time in which employers have to sift through thousands of applications to find any that are relevant, due to the obscene and obnoxious jobs applied for requirement. I live in a time in which you will frequently be given the wrong advice, in which jobs providers will tell you to leave full time study to go to Work for the Dole.

Seeing as you took leave to call me any number of things over the course of this 'discussion', your contribution here as superfluous as single ply toilet paper in a tissue factory. You're far more selfish that I'll ever be, and that you continue to argue a perspective that is as self centred as it is archaic is as foolish as it appears.

This is what me lecturing you looks like. Now you know the difference.

Craven Morehead

Jan 2, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
There is something deeply ironic that in a post in which you tell me not to lecture you, you've seen fit to try and lecture me.

So, old timer, have a seat.

I live in a time in which successive governments have deliberately obscured employment figures, conflating casual and seasonal work to create the illusion of a full workforce when the reality is that there is a chronic underemployment problem in this country, with increasingly less job security and other flow on effects. I live in a time which follows successive neoliberal governments that have ensured their electoral supremacy via pork-barrelling the middle class, to hide the fact that they have stripped money from services and given them straight back to business via tax breaks, to the point in which many of these organisations do not pay taxes, out of supposed economic theories which have not worked anywhere in any context in the interests of anyone save the extremely wealthy. I live in a time in which public debt is extremely high, due to a series of policies created by that government which have turned a housing bubble into a ticking bomb, ensuring that the majority of people's money is not being saved but is in property which they do not own.

I live in a time in which older generations who - as you state - undoubtedly did it tough, but continuously assert that, seeing as they did it 'all by themselves', my generation should be forced to endure barriers to entry into various wealth making enterprises that they did not have to fight against, after they took advantage of the previous generation's beneficence.

I live in a time in which the government has obscured and demurred, refused to provide a straightforward explanation over the Newstart payment and its associated offshoots. I live in a time in which they've created those distinctions to further decrease the payment down to component parts, in order to make each individual component harder to obtain. I live in a time in which the system created to manage it is faulty, given to individuals without experience in finding jobs for others, and who need to comply with government ahead of their duties to their clients. I live in a time in which employers have to sift through thousands of applications to find any that are relevant, due to the obscene and obnoxious jobs applied for requirement. I live in a time in which you will frequently be given the wrong advice, in which jobs providers will tell you to leave full time study to go to Work for the Dole.

Seeing as you took leave to call me any number of things over the course of this 'discussion', your contribution here as superfluous as single ply toilet paper in a tissue factory. You're far more selfish that I'll ever be, and that you continue to argue a perspective that is as self centred as it is archaic is as foolish as it appears.

This is what me lecturing you looks like. Now you know the difference.

Hahahaha....what a load of, typically, self-obsessed wank.
It's all the Government and somebody else's fault!
I've made my way through a time where you would lie down and die, you soft c***.
LOL!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gethelred

Norm Smith Medallist
May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Hahahaha....what a load of, typically, self-obsessed wank.
It's all the Government and somebody else's fault!
I've made my way through a time where you would lie down and die, you soft c***.
LOL!
That's a pisser mate.

Go on, tell me how bad you had it. Offer me a basis for comparison, then, if you're so unhappy with your lot in the past that my ills offer no comparison.

Gethelred

Norm Smith Medallist
May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
I'm in earnest now. Demonstrate to me that I have no idea. Tell me about your experience in your time, old man, if you did it so hard.

Craven Morehead

Jan 2, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
That's a pisser mate.

Go on, tell me how bad you had it. Offer me a basis for comparison, then, if you're so unhappy with your lot in the past that my ills offer no comparison.

There's no point son. You're the perpetual victim and will be for life.
You poor, poor, hard done by bastard.

You are quite obviously over-educated and unable to fulfill your parents/personal goals for you/yourself.
That really must sting.

Goroyals22

Senior List
Jun 29, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast
Um, wat?

Okay.

Do you mind if I ask you for some details, without breaching confidentiality of course? Like, where you were, the conditions in the market, the jobs you referred people to, etc?
Hang on while I access all my records and dissect each person one by one so I can justify to you my credentials....

At my precious role however I can state I had a caseload of between 150-160 job seekers and at least half of those had no intentions of finding work at any one time... some due to medical issues , some due to pure laziness like the guy who got breached 39 times in a year and still kept his payments

Gethelred

Norm Smith Medallist
May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
There's no point son. You're the perpetual victim and will be for life.
You poor, poor, hard done by bastard.

You are quite obviously over-educated and unable to fulfill your parents/personal goals for you/yourself.
That really must sting.
I now know precisely how you must've felt, if your last post was in earnest in any way whatsoever, because your response filled me with laughter.

I have eminently achievable goals from my current position, with the jobs I'm working at the moment stepping stones towards my goal. I'm in genuinely the best place - financially and otherwise - I've been in a very long time. Perpetual victim!

:D

You've no idea the relief I felt when I finished my degree, when I got my jobs, when I realised I could keep the parts of my life I enjoyed - my cricket coaching and playin, for which I was paid for a time as well as volunteering - as well as work 70+ hour weeks as I did last season. You've no idea how glad I was, to be free of WFTD, of my job provider, of time spent doing literally nothing. I wanted to work. There's no pleasure in listlessness or feeling like you're in a hole.

You know, I almost pity you. You're so set in your mindset, your anger at me and my 'perpetual victim'hood that you are completely unable to move past it, to have a conversation with someone from the 'other team' without cheap shots, 'lol's and various insults. It's why I came onto the SRP, those conversations with people who don't agree with me especially, but who are capable of doing this civilly. That you can't only limits you.

Bombermania

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 18, 2007
Counting premiership cups
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Non that play Essendon
jesus christ.

I read this kind of comment and I think of two things.

The way government manages the unemployed isn't working as it should because if it was then those people would be easily identified and its not a reason to not do better for those that are serious about seeking employment. Also if someone is that lazy and lacking in ambition that they wanted to stay on newstart then I wouldn't want them in my workplace.

Nuggs Bunny

Premium Platinum
Oct 12, 2015
live at the Greek
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys
Funnily enough the people on Newstart who have it the hardest to find a new job are those over 50. Not surprising either, the amount of workplaces that consider hiring older Australians is pathetically low. If you aren't in a financial position to retire at 55, if you get retrenched at any point thereafter then there's a startlingly high chance you'll never work again. Can't claim the pension either as you need to be 67.

This really need not be a generational conflict.

Bombermania

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 18, 2007
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Non that play Essendon
Funnily enough the people on Newstart who have it the hardest to find a new job are those over 50. Not surprising either, the amount of workplaces that consider hiring older Australians is pathetically low. If you aren't in a financial position to retire at 55, if you get retrenched at any point thereafter then there's a startlingly high chance you'll never work again. Can't claim the pension either as you need to be 67.

This really need not be a generational conflict.
In some ways its karma because that generation of now 55s were quite happy during the last recession to fire anyone with grey hair, but it also does show how poorly managed the labour market has been during the past few decades.

sorted

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Rental assistance is about $280 per month. Good luck finding a house for that. But most people in Australia don't rent and there's no assistance for mortgage payments. There will be many people having that awkward conversation with their bank and some facing foreclosure.

The health care card provides discounts for some expenses eg 17.5 per cent off gas and electricity - but the kicker is that if you are unemployed you will be at home more and be using more gas and electricity. Then you still have to find the other 82.5% of the bill when energy prices have increased by over 70% in the last 10 years. Newstart, which is indexed linked, has risen about 20% over the last 10 years. So the value of the health care card discount has significantly declined.

Clearly there will be some people rorting the system, and kids still living with parents who have no bills who can get by on $40 a day. But the Newstart allowance is grossly inadequate for the average person who has bills for rent/mortgage, house insurance, rates, energy, phone, car etc.

sorted

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Hang on while I access all my records and dissect each person one by one so I can justify to you my credentials....

At my precious role however I can state I had a caseload of between 150-160 job seekers and at least half of those had no intentions of finding work at any one time... some due to medical issues , some due to pure laziness like the guy who got breached 39 times in a year and still kept his payments

Maybe those 150-160 job seekers knew you were a total waste of space in finding them a job and that the 'job seeker' agencies are just outsourced box-ticking compliance units for Centrelink.

Bombermania

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 18, 2007
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Non that play Essendon
Rental assistance is about $280 per month. Good luck finding a house for that. But most people in Australia don't rent and there's no assistance for mortgage payments. There will be many people having that awkward conversation with their bank and some facing foreclosure.

The health care card provides discounts for some expenses eg 17.5 per cent off gas and electricity - but the kicker is that if you are unemployed you will be at home more and be using more gas and electricity. Then you still have to find the other 82.5% of the bill when energy prices have increased by over 70% in the last 10 years. Newstart, which is indexed linked, has risen about 20% over the last 10 years. So the value of the health care card discount has significantly declined.

Clearly there will be some people rorting the system, and kids still living with parents who have no bills who can get by on $40 a day. But the Newstart allowance is grossly inadequate for the average person who has bills for rent/mortgage, house insurance, rates, energy, phone, car etc.
Not only that but for many jobs you need to be able to afford the job searching process including attending networking events and to present to recruiters as a well rounded individual as they really loath desparate job seekers.

yodellinhank

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 22, 2008
Geelong
AFL Club
Essendon
Maybe those 150-160 job seekers knew you were a total waste of space in finding them a job and that the 'job seeker' agencies are just outsourced box-ticking compliance units for Centrelink.
Extra! People with poor attitude toward finding work have trouble finding work. Read all about it!

Gethelred

Norm Smith Medallist
May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton

Thanks. I'm not trying to dispute what you're saying, merely trying to get a perspective on it from a different angle.

How were you trained for the role? Was your background in this kind of a field? How were you instructed to approach clients?

Top Bottom