I really don't care what you think.
- Jan 2, 2019
- AFL Club
- Gold Coast
The entire premise of the thread is that people are surviving solely on the dole payment, which they are not.Rental assistance is about $280 per month. Good luck finding a house for that. But most people in Australia don't rent and there's no assistance for mortgage payments. There will be many people having that awkward conversation with their bank and some facing foreclosure.
The health care card provides discounts for some expenses eg 17.5 per cent off gas and electricity - but the kicker is that if you are unemployed you will be at home more and be using more gas and electricity. Then you still have to find the other 82.5% of the bill when energy prices have increased by over 70% in the last 10 years. Newstart, which is indexed linked, has risen about 20% over the last 10 years. So the value of the health care card discount has significantly declined.
Clearly there will be some people rorting the system, and kids still living with parents who have no bills who can get by on $40 a day. But the Newstart allowance is grossly inadequate for the average person who has bills for rent/mortgage, house insurance, rates, energy, phone, car etc.
I have no problem whatsoever with the payment being increased, but start the discussion from a platform with an element of truth instead of sensationalism.
(I realise you didn't start the thread).
I also see no reason why young unemployed, without children, can't be, shall we say coerced, into doing some of the more menial, yet well paid jobs in rural areas.