Politics Centrelink

Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, SSC Napoli, ESH
They really need to work on their image, but di Natale doesn't seem interested.
I think they need to invest in some PR to be honest...

All of the major parties could work on their image imo for various reasons, but munny wins at the moment and further to the right we as a country shift

Fat Yak

Club Legend
Oct 4, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
I agree with that sentiment but there are major issues that both main parties are complicit in either not addressing or underhandedly promoting.

All the large corporations have been allowed to lay off local Australian workers and outsource functions to cheap resources overseas. To some extent this is unavoidable.

But both main parties have also allowed record numbers of permanent immigrants and many more on skills shortage visas. Walk into any back office for a large company and you will see predominantly Indians. Even government roles are being resourced by Indian companies who fudge the skills shortage test in order to import and supply cheap labour. The irony/joke is that the market has become so flooded that often hundreds of locally qualified people are applying for roles that are deemed 'skilled shortage'. Wages increases (apart from government jobs) have stagnated.

As for financial assistance and help in finding work - I'm familiar with the Swiss system. It is efficient and it treats people like human beings. It supports people respectfully in their time when they are out of work. On the other hand, Australian Centrelink is a disgrace. The system is impenetrable and very frustrating. I am a calm, intelligent person but there have been times I have been shouting at the computer screen or automated phone menu.

All the Indians I have talked to have done some bullshit degree in IT and bingo, permanent residence visa. Go into any servo, jump into a taxi, Indians and now truck driving. Parcel post all Indians. 2 truck driving schools in Perth have been busted for taking bribes, the *ers can't drive so they drop $10,000 into the instructors lap.

Before the usual turn up and call me a racist, the Indians I know are all from rich families and seem like decent hard working conservative voters.

Socrates2

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 11, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
All the Indians I have talked to have done some bulls**t degree in IT and bingo, permanent residence visa. Go into any servo, jump into a taxi, Indians and now truck driving. Parcel post all Indians. 2 truck driving schools in Perth have been busted for taking bribes, the ******s can't drive so they drop $10,000 into the instructors lap.

Before the usual turn up and call me a racist, the Indians I know are all from rich families and seem like decent hard working conservative voters.
I don't think 'all the Indians I've talked to' stands up as any reasonable research, you sound like you don't like Indians as you're stereotyping all Indians with individual cases.Poor post.

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oldham
All the Indians I have talked to have done some bulls**t degree in IT and bingo, permanent residence visa. Go into any servo, jump into a taxi, Indians and now truck driving. Parcel post all Indians. 2 truck driving schools in Perth have been busted for taking bribes, the ******s can't drive so they drop $10,000 into the instructors lap.

Yeah I was not having a crack at Indians at all. They integrate really well in that they are generally hard working, family oriented, love their cricket etc. Almost to every individual I have found them really good people. But as a group they are certainly exploiting our slack (or complicit) immigration rules.

Echoes

Drain the swamp.
May 2, 2019
AFL Club
St Kilda
Predictable and pathetic stuff.

Makes you wonder exactly what it would take for an Australian gov to raise Newstart.

Christ even the rodent said it’s too low.

But nah, let’s give more to those poor perpetually hard done by in there own mind pensioners.

May 2, 2007
WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Chicago Bears, de Boer, Arsenal
Predictable and pathetic stuff.

Makes you wonder exactly what it would take for an Australian gov to raise Newstart.

Christ even the rodent said it’s too low.

But nah, let’s give more to those poor perpetually hard done by in there own mind pensioners.

Agree with boosting newstart it's just too low but what the hell are you on about with complaining over fixing a situation where pensioners are obviously not getting a fair deal here? I'm still only in my 30s but we are all gonna get old one day mate..

Sep 21, 2009
AFL Club
St Kilda
Welfare will continue to get destroyed by a deliberate Liberal party, and an appeasing Labor party.

As our social saftey net is eroded, watch as private prisons/gaols increase. Run by companies from the US and UK.

We've already put the hard yards in demonising 'dole bludgers'. It's just an accepted narrative now.
Who will be surprised to hear about a 'dole bludger' committing a crime? 'They deserve to be locked up'...

Unemployment is a cash cow.

Huge labour market.
Think that there's already been a case of 'slave labour' in a prison here. Have to find the article.

Echoes

Drain the swamp.
May 2, 2019
AFL Club
St Kilda
Remember what happened to Duncan Storrar?

Came across as the #goodbloke to Australia for all of about five minutes, before the dries dug up a bunch of dirt saying he was a crook and abusive dad and most importantly, didn’t contribute to the tax base?

That bloke?

May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
You could choose 90% of the planet, same principle.
So easy to whinge from a chair at a coffee shop in one of the most privileged countries in the world.

On Pixel 3 XL using BigFooty.com mobile app
... so, because Cambodia's s**t, Australians aren't allowed to discuss their own homelessness, their own poverty, or the fact that the safety net designed to catch them should iniquity strike in the form of joblessness or recession is being dismantled slowly via inaction?

Seems legit.

:drunk:

Echoes

Drain the swamp.
May 2, 2019
AFL Club
St Kilda
... so, because Cambodia's s**t, Australians aren't allowed to discuss their own homelessness, their own poverty, or the fact that the safety net designed to catch them should iniquity strike in the form of joblessness or recession is being dismantled slowly via inaction?

Seems legit.

Was certainly one of the baser ‘arguments’ against raising the rate of Newstart I have heard I’m afraid.

Royal Flush

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 14, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
North Melbourne
You need to travel a bit. Cambodia and like you conveniently ignored up to 90% of the world's population don't have $20aud in their bank accounts. And you're whining about the unfairness of government hand-outs

Seems legit.

May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
You need to travel a bit. Cambodia and like you conveniently ignored up to 90% of the world's population don't have $20aud in their bank accounts. And you're whining about the unfairness of government hand-outs

Or, alternatively, I'm not ignoring the poverty at home whilst reaping the benefits of my own affluence.

Again, this isn't about me, not anymore; I have 2 jobs now. I'm not 'whinging', either; my knowledge of the newstart and jobactive system is based both on my own experience of it and what I've observed with other people. And I return to the blatant illogic of your argument: saying '90% of the world's population don't have $20 AUS in their bank accounts' whilst true doesn't invalidate the fact that by most measures the Newstart payment is too low, and the WFTD and the Jobactive system created to support it is both a money and a time sink that doesn't result in the unemployed getting jobs, instead wasting time that could be better spent elsewhere reskilling.

Royal Flush

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 14, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
North Melbourne
You make it sound like it's an apocalypse.

Sure the most vulnerable people in society should be looked after.

A question, if Newstart is too low which it probably is, what is the number it *should* be at?
Or, alternatively, I'm not ignoring the poverty at home whilst reaping the benefits of my own affluence.

Again, this isn't about me, not anymore; I have 2 jobs now. I'm not 'whinging', either; my knowledge of the newstart and jobactive system is based both on my own experience of it and what I've observed with other people. And I return to the blatant illogic of your argument: saying '90% of the world's population don't have $20 AUS in their bank accounts' whilst true doesn't invalidate the fact that by most measures the Newstart payment is too low, and the WFTD and the Jobactive system created to support it is both a money and a time sink that doesn't result in the unemployed getting jobs, instead wasting time that could be better spent elsewhere reskilling.

A question, if Newstart is too low which it probably is, what is the number it *should* be at?

That’s been answered, it should be increased by $75 per week.

May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton

I make it sound like it's a problem because it is. Glad to see we at least agree that a) the most vulnerable people should be looked after, and b) the Newstart payment is too low.

Royal Flush

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 14, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
North Melbourne
So how is a 75 dollar increase going to assist with a better standard of living?
A grand total of 325 per week . Wow

How will the same argument not continue that centre link is too low to survive.
Because it will be.

Welfare accounts for 35% of government expenditure.

So add another 25% to that bill and looks like you'll be working a third job.

It's all well and good to increase payments , but what are you going to sacrifice personally to achieve that ?

And you don't think pensioners deserve more ? I do, after all they've worked a lifetime and paid lots of taxes.

So let's increase the pension too, which is arguably fair.

Going by your logic , we need to achieve fairness, so we'll need to all pay at least 60% tax in our earnings.
This means roughly speaking, we work 2 days for ourselves and 3 days for the government to re distribute the money to this less fortunate.

Youre a better bloke then me if that's your idea of a fair society.

That’s been answered, it should be increased by $75 per week.

Back