Politics Centrelink

Craven Morehead

I really don't care what you think.
Jan 2, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
That's a pisser mate.

Go on, tell me how bad you had it. Offer me a basis for comparison, then, if you're so unhappy with your lot in the past that my ills offer no comparison.

There's no point son. You're the perpetual victim and will be for life.
You poor, poor, hard done by bastard.

You are quite obviously over-educated and unable to fulfill your parents/personal goals for you/yourself.
That really must sting.

Goroyals22

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 29, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast
Um, wat?

Yes, I'm saying there are people who - shock, horror - cannot live on the dole. Because, as previously stated, it is not enough to live on. I know, because I've been on it. I don't have an 'endless list' of anything; if anything, you are the one who is coming in here and attacking me, endlessly. You lack an argument beyond 'Get a job, bludger.' Well, I've got 2, and the system is still a problem even though I am no longer within it.

Newsflash: sometimes just because you yourself have failed to experience something doesn't mean it doesn't exist. You don't have to be a 'green shill' to see facts. But then, there's only one side of this particular discussion assuming something of the other, and it ain't me.

Okay.

Do you mind if I ask you for some details, without breaching confidentiality of course? Like, where you were, the conditions in the market, the jobs you referred people to, etc?

Hang on while I access all my records and dissect each person one by one so I can justify to you my credentials....

At my precious role however I can state I had a caseload of between 150-160 job seekers and at least half of those had no intentions of finding work at any one time... some due to medical issues , some due to pure laziness like the guy who got breached 39 times in a year and still kept his payments

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
There's no point son. You're the perpetual victim and will be for life.
You poor, poor, hard done by bastard.

You are quite obviously over-educated and unable to fulfill your parents/personal goals for you/yourself.
That really must sting.
I now know precisely how you must've felt, if your last post was in earnest in any way whatsoever, because your response filled me with laughter.

I have eminently achievable goals from my current position, with the jobs I'm working at the moment stepping stones towards my goal. I'm in genuinely the best place - financially and otherwise - I've been in a very long time. Perpetual victim!

:D

You've no idea the relief I felt when I finished my degree, when I got my jobs, when I realised I could keep the parts of my life I enjoyed - my cricket coaching and playin, for which I was paid for a time as well as volunteering - as well as work 70+ hour weeks as I did last season. You've no idea how glad I was, to be free of WFTD, of my job provider, of time spent doing literally nothing. I wanted to work. There's no pleasure in listlessness or feeling like you're in a hole.

You know, I almost pity you. You're so set in your mindset, your anger at me and my 'perpetual victim'hood that you are completely unable to move past it, to have a conversation with someone from the 'other team' without cheap shots, 'lol's and various insults. It's why I came onto the SRP, those conversations with people who don't agree with me especially, but who are capable of doing this civilly. That you can't only limits you.

Dec 18, 2007
Counting premiership cups
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Non that play Essendon
jesus christ.
Your endless excuses about jobs and their difficulties, their unavailability, (or some other bulls**t reason for not taking them), is wearing thin.
Are you seriously saying that there ISN'T thousands upon thousands of people who choose to live on welfare as a life choice?
This whole $40 a day argument is also bulls**t...
add rent assistance, the health care and pension cards, child payments, subsidised food etc from charities.
There are so many people milking the system in so many ways, and they are generational...

You are either willingly blind or some Green shill.

I read this kind of comment and I think of two things.

The way government manages the unemployed isn't working as it should because if it was then those people would be easily identified and its not a reason to not do better for those that are serious about seeking employment. Also if someone is that lazy and lacking in ambition that they wanted to stay on newstart then I wouldn't want them in my workplace.

Funnily enough the people on Newstart who have it the hardest to find a new job are those over 50. Not surprising either, the amount of workplaces that consider hiring older Australians is pathetically low. If you aren't in a financial position to retire at 55, if you get retrenched at any point thereafter then there's a startlingly high chance you'll never work again. Can't claim the pension either as you need to be 67.

This really need not be a generational conflict.

Dec 18, 2007
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Non that play Essendon
Funnily enough the people on Newstart who have it the hardest to find a new job are those over 50. Not surprising either, the amount of workplaces that consider hiring older Australians is pathetically low. If you aren't in a financial position to retire at 55, if you get retrenched at any point thereafter then there's a startlingly high chance you'll never work again. Can't claim the pension either as you need to be 67.

This really need not be a generational conflict.

In some ways its karma because that generation of now 55s were quite happy during the last recession to fire anyone with grey hair, but it also does show how poorly managed the labour market has been during the past few decades.

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oldham
I have also pointed out that this entire premise of $40 a day is absolute bulls**t!
Show me one welfare recipient who survives on the dole ALONE, and does not receive further benefits?

Rental assistance is about $280 per month. Good luck finding a house for that. But most people in Australia don't rent and there's no assistance for mortgage payments. There will be many people having that awkward conversation with their bank and some facing foreclosure.

The health care card provides discounts for some expenses eg 17.5 per cent off gas and electricity - but the kicker is that if you are unemployed you will be at home more and be using more gas and electricity. Then you still have to find the other 82.5% of the bill when energy prices have increased by over 70% in the last 10 years. Newstart, which is indexed linked, has risen about 20% over the last 10 years. So the value of the health care card discount has significantly declined.

Clearly there will be some people rorting the system, and kids still living with parents who have no bills who can get by on $40 a day. But the Newstart allowance is grossly inadequate for the average person who has bills for rent/mortgage, house insurance, rates, energy, phone, car etc.

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oldham
Hang on while I access all my records and dissect each person one by one so I can justify to you my credentials....

At my precious role however I can state I had a caseload of between 150-160 job seekers and at least half of those had no intentions of finding work at any one time... some due to medical issues , some due to pure laziness like the guy who got breached 39 times in a year and still kept his payments

Maybe those 150-160 job seekers knew you were a total waste of space in finding them a job and that the 'job seeker' agencies are just outsourced box-ticking compliance units for Centrelink.

Dec 18, 2007
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Non that play Essendon
Rental assistance is about $280 per month. Good luck finding a house for that. But most people in Australia don't rent and there's no assistance for mortgage payments. There will be many people having that awkward conversation with their bank and some facing foreclosure.

The health care card provides discounts for some expenses eg 17.5 per cent off gas and electricity - but the kicker is that if you are unemployed you will be at home more and be using more gas and electricity. Then you still have to find the other 82.5% of the bill when energy prices have increased by over 70% in the last 10 years. Newstart, which is indexed linked, has risen about 20% over the last 10 years. So the value of the health care card discount has significantly declined.

Clearly there will be some people rorting the system, and kids still living with parents who have no bills who can get by on $40 a day. But the Newstart allowance is grossly inadequate for the average person who has bills for rent/mortgage, house insurance, rates, energy, phone, car etc.

Not only that but for many jobs you need to be able to afford the job searching process including attending networking events and to present to recruiters as a well rounded individual as they really loath desparate job seekers.

May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton

Thanks. I'm not trying to dispute what you're saying, merely trying to get a perspective on it from a different angle.

How were you trained for the role? Was your background in this kind of a field? How were you instructed to approach clients?

Craven Morehead

I really don't care what you think.
Jan 2, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast

The entire premise of the thread is that people are surviving solely on the dole payment, which they are not.
I have no problem whatsoever with the payment being increased, but start the discussion from a platform with an element of truth instead of sensationalism.
(I realise you didn't start the thread).
I also see no reason why young unemployed, without children, can't be, shall we say coerced, into doing some of the more menial, yet well paid jobs in rural areas.

Goroyals22

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 29, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast
Maybe those 150-160 job seekers knew you were a total waste of space in finding them a job and that the 'job seeker' agencies are just outsourced box-ticking compliance units for Centrelink.

The providers aren’t there to find you a job. They are there to assist you to find a job...
The ones that wanted jobs tended to get jobs and plenty of assistance. The ones who couldn’t care less got that level of servicing as they should.... still they still rolled in for fuel cards, Coles vouchers, assistance with licensing and rego payments and in some cases some even got a car....

One job seeker I handled was given a bike to assist with getting him to work... next day the bike was in cash converters as he traded it in for money to buy smokes.....

Goroyals22

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 29, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast
Thanks. I'm not trying to dispute what you're saying, merely trying to get a perspective on it from a different angle.

How were you trained for the role? Was your background in this kind of a field? How were you instructed to approach clients?

You don’t have to be a rocket scientist to do this role.. as long as you have a passion for helping people you will do well

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oldham
The providers aren’t there to find you a job. They are there to assist you to find a job...
The ones that wanted jobs tended to get jobs and plenty of assistance. The ones who couldn’t care less got that level of servicing as they should.... still they still rolled in for fuel cards, Coles vouchers, assistance with licensing and rego payments and in some cases some even got a car....

One job seeker I handled was given a bike to assist with getting him to work... next day the bike was in cash converters as he traded it in for money to buy smokes.....

Of course the providers have to go through the pretence that they are assisting people to find work. The fact that people are denied 'assistance' from the job seeker agencies when they are on waiting periods for Newstart payments tells you that they are actually Centrelink compliance units.

Please tell us how people on Newstart can get fuel cards and Coles vouchers. And cars!

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oldham
The entire premise of the thread is that people are surviving solely on the dole payment, which they are not.
I have no problem whatsoever with the payment being increased, but start the discussion from a platform with an element of truth instead of sensationalism.
(I realise you didn't start the thread).
I also see no reason why young unemployed, without children, can't be, shall we say coerced, into doing some of the more menial, yet well paid jobs in rural areas.

Some people will be surviving on the dole and not much more when you add the other benefits. It's not enough to live on.

On top of that the the system is ****ed. Nothing at all properly works on the Centrelink website. Wait times to speak to someone on the phone are at least 30 minutes, usually more. The people on the phone generally don't have a clue - so a call that should take 10 minutes can drag on for over an hour. The people in Centrelink offices generally don't have a clue about the detail of the process. The processing times for claims are ridiculously long (mine took over 3 months). The jobseeker agencies provide little assistance is finding a job, they regularly utensil up appointment times so payments are suspended, and communication between them and Centrelink is poor eg Centrelink will cancel jobseeker appointments without notifying either the agency or the client, so you turn up and they say 'oh sorry, they didn't tell us either'.

Compare this to the Swiss system where for a decent period payment levels are linked to your previous income level, and the agencies are properly resourced to assist you to find work.

Don't mind your idea to get young unemployed working.

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oldham
Yeah I thought the fuel cards were only for pensioners out in the country.

The Basicscard can be used in Coles, but you have to opt for Income Management, and the money on the card comes out of your payments.

Looking forward to hearing about free cars on Newstart!

Goroyals22

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 29, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast
All providers have whats called the EPF Fund which is money the government gives them yearly to assist job seekers with various items if requested.If the request meets the guidelines its paid.

May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
You don’t have to be a rocket scientist to do this role.. as long as you have a passion for helping people you will do well

That's what I've been saying. It's too easy to simply demonise the people working at the jobs agencies, some of which I've absolutely no doubt went in with the very best of intentions. The reason I'm asking the questions I'm asking is because I want to know how someone goes from being passionate about helping people to telling me to drop out of my degree or my payment will be cut.

I suppose what I'm asking you is if you became a bit disillusioned, or how quickly it happened. Was the training you were provided adequate, and the tasks provided to you catered to by your training? How do some agencies go from genuinely wanting to help people to cutting their payment because of a JobActive error, or providing the wrong advice against their client's interests?

This wasn't my experience of the Newstart payment, at either of my job agencies.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2007
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Non that play Essendon

This is part of the problem with how the government has managed the unemployed over the past few decades. When WFTD was first introduced, Jeff Kennett made the comment that it would work better if it was aligned to actual employers in a form of real work experience but Howard dismissed that idea. The government's approach isn't a serious attempt to get the unemployed into the workforce, if anything it helps the real slack to remain slack while doing little for those that want employment.

Goroyals22,
I have thought of working as a JSP as I have lived and seen the life from both ends of the spectrum.
But what gets me curious and I am not sure if your allowed to answer this.
KPI So I have no idea how that works as I relate KPI to sales and profits,In regards to being a JSP what could that be ?

EBWO6LlUwAIFLzt.jpg

jUsT gEt a jOb !!!

This is part of the problem with how the government has managed the unemployed over the past few decades. When WFTD was first introduced, Jeff Kennett made the comment that it would work better if it was aligned to actual employers in a form of real work experience but Howard dismissed that idea. The government's approach isn't a serious attempt to get the unemployed into the workforce, if anything it helps the real slack to remain slack while doing little for those that want employment.
I have done work for the dole m
Sorry that confuses me.
Is there on average 44.5 jobs per person avail?
And also locations?
If you have time I would love to see a jobs via location avail?
And also a break down full time or part time or casual.

Back