Politics Centrelink

This.

A revamping of the WFTD system - to have people on the dole doing internships/entry-level positions with the possibility of moving to full employment after the trial period - would be vastly superior to the current system.

Yep

There are also people in the community who are worth $1 an hour or even have a negative value by their participation from a pure economic sense.

However everyone should have a place in our society and a right (and obligation) to participate. Even if that’s just a few hours a week and doing something most wouldn’t consider work. Ie a person with severe Down syndrome, participating in an art class with the best piece displayed in a community area.

Their participation should be rewarded appropriately through integration of social welfare and paid work.

Of course there will be issues in its operation but that’s a small price to pay for diversity. Who knows, we may have lower health costs or judicial costs if we looked after our most vulnerable better.

May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
That's my main concern with WFTD arrangements at the moment; plenty of people would be able to do the tasks as set by a WFTD activity, if shifted to being a real stepping stone between unemployment and employment, but what happens to the people who simply are not able to work?

In every society, there is a small percentage of people who cannot work, either because they do not want to or because they simply can't. How would such a system of obligation handle cases like this? Do we not have a prerogative towards other people not to let them starve?

Jul 12, 2004
Junktion Oval
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
England
I was your typical dole bludger, studied for many years living off the government, in latter years I applied for a few jobs, had interviews but always lost out to someone with more experience.

Eventually got bored and got a job, did traffic control, completed a 2 day course, once I got my qualifications, sent in applications to a couple of companies, next day got rung up, had an interview and job within a week. It’s not that hard and with heaps of construction going on, there is an ever growing need. I am sure there are plenty of other jobs out there that are similar with workers in short supply. It’s not a fun job, but if people really want to earn money it’s there. Get overtime, callouts, do night work etc and you’ll be rolling in the money. Get working on a union controlled site and you’ll really rake it in!

Yes there are some people who don’t want to work hard, some that are probably not capable, but if you’re willing to try something different, there is work out there. Half the problem is people and I was guilty of it, have decided this is what I want to do and that’s it even if the opportunities don’t exist.

Feb 11, 2011
pakenham
AFL Club
Fremantle
I was your typical dole bludger, studied for many years living off the government, in latter years I applied for a few jobs, had interviews but always lost out to someone with more experience.

Eventually got bored and got a job, did traffic control, completed a 2 day course, once I got my qualifications, sent in applications to a couple of companies, next day got rung up, had an interview and job within a week. It’s not that hard and with heaps of construction going on, there is an ever growing need. I am sure there are plenty of other jobs out there that are similar with workers in short supply. It’s not a fun job, but if people really want to earn money it’s there. Get overtime, callouts, do night work etc and you’ll be rolling in the money. Get working on a union controlled site and you’ll really rake it in!

Yes there are some people who don’t want to work hard, some that are probably not capable, but if you’re willing to try something different, there is work out there. Half the problem is people and I was guilty of it, have decided this is what I want to do and that’s it even if the opportunities don’t exist.
People can find job.

The big but if everybody were active their would be still unemployed.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
People can find job.

The big but if everybody were active their would be still unemployed.

There's MEANT to be unemployed.

What do you think "multiculturalism" is REALLY about?

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Yes, their is meant to be unemployment.

If jobs outstrip demand, then productivity would go down. We all would lose out.

WAGES would go up!

This is why the market is artificially stimulated with immigration.

Multiculturalism is a different thing.

Immigration is important to support the aging population.

Yes, this is also a factor now.

Feb 11, 2011
pakenham
AFL Club
Fremantle
WAGES would go up!

This is why the market is artificially stimulated with immigration.

Yes, this is also a factor now.
Immigration does hide grows rates for sure.

Australia has been in recession for years if you take out immigration.

Still, take out immigration their still would be unemployment.

High wages and low productivity is very dangerous for an economy. But a lot of these thing it’s always a balancing act.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Immigration does hide grows rates for sure.

Australia has been in recession for years if you take out immigration.

We're a bullshit economy really. A farm on top of a mine.

Still, take out immigration their still would be unemployment.

High wages and low productivity is very dangerous for an economy. But a lot of these thing it’s always a balancing act.

I've got nothing against any foreign battler trying to make a better fist of things for themselves, but the battlers here ARE screwed over by the process, and it's DESIGNED to be that way.

Feb 11, 2011
pakenham
AFL Club
Fremantle
We're a bulls**t economy really. A farm on top of a mine.

I've got nothing against any foreign battler trying to make a better fist of things for themselves, but the battlers here ARE screwed over by the process, and it's DESIGNED to be that way.
Our fault was not making much out of the mining boom. Yes, John Howard didn’t invest in infrastructure. Unlike, Sweden and Norway did.

As for the battlers, sorry but their always be losers in an economy regardless of what system.

The smart and well connected will always do better than people from a low economy back ground.

That’s why it’s important to provide public housing and a decent income for them to live off.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Our fault was not making much out of the mining boom. Yes, John Howard didn’t invest in infrastructure. Unlike, Sweden and Norway did.

As for the battlers, sorry but their always be losers in an economy regardless of what system.

The smart and well connected will always do better than people from a low economy back ground.

This is why the poor shouldn't give two *s about the law.

That’s why it’s important to provide public housing and a decent income for them to live off.

Yeah..........well.

Feb 11, 2011
pakenham
AFL Club
Fremantle
This is why the poor shouldn't give two fu**s about the law.

Yeah..........well.
Why would you respect a system that shits on.

The thing I hate is the self righteous well connected individuals telling the poor to just shut up and work hard.

Then they tell the whole world that the only reason for their is because of hard work.

They pay their accountants to get out of paying tax and then have the gore to say that the unemployed sucked the system.

Craven Morehead

I really don't care what you think.
Jan 2, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Whilst those of us who choose to make this a philosophical argument and attempt to make oneself look intelligent and s**t ...
I have been outside and working my arse off and ...listening to the radio and then calling my friends...forgive me for that laziness.
Annnd...one of our biggest fruit growers has to pay for an advertisement on local radio...
38 hours a week.
Accommodation included.
Job secured until the end of November and, if you can actually work, a guarantee of a job further south as the season unfolds and a bloody good income.
But our local, DOLE BUDGING PIECES OF s**t, wont take it.
Well, they will apply, but in a manner, attitude and presentation that you would never give them a job.

But everything is ok...we'll just continue to pay for these lazy campaigners

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club

Feb 11, 2011
pakenham
AFL Club
Fremantle
Whilst those of us who choose to make this a philosophical argument and attempt to make oneself look intelligent and s**t ...
I have been outside and working my arse off and ...listening to the radio and then calling my friends...forgive me for that laziness.
Annnd...one of our biggest fruit growers has to pay for an advertisement on local radio...
38 hours a week.
Accommodation included.
Job secured until the end of November and, if you can actually work, a guarantee of a job further south as the season unfolds and a bloody good income.
Well, they will apply, but in a manner, attitude and presentation that you would never give them a job.

The very lazy unemployed go to country areas to make it hard to get a job.

The thing is that is only one section of unemployed people.

Do you realize that dole payments go directly into the economy?

The money is recycled and creates employment.

Craven Morehead

I really don't care what you think.
Jan 2, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
The very lazy unemployed go to country areas to make it hard to get a job.

The thing is that is only one section of unemployed people.

Do you realize that dole payments go directly into the economy?

The money is recycled and creates employment.

Oh what crap.

May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
38 hours a week.
Accommodation included.

I get that you're suspended at the moment, but the second you're not, post the job location so I can do my analysis on whether you can successfully make the transition from an urban centre to the country on the Newstart and associated payments.

I've waited for a while now. If you do not do this, I will find one of the jobs you're saying are so available to people on the Newstart, and you cannot complain about the location/job chosen.

Royal Flush

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 14, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I get that you're suspended at the moment, but the second you're not, post the job location so I can do my analysis on whether you can successfully make the transition from an urban centre to the country on the Newstart and associated payments.

I've waited for a while now. If you do not do this, I will find one of the jobs you're saying are so available to people on the Newstart, and you cannot complain about the location/job chosen.
They could always try and compete with the Indians doing car washes at Westfield's shopping centre car parks.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Back