If you were playing for the WB, what position do you think you'd be?

I was entertaining some thoughts of where I'd be playing if I were 10 years younger and not so injury plagued.

As a bit of fun, I thought of a thread which would give anyone interested the option to put down their opinion of where they would play (position wise) had we be lining up for the WB in the next round.

Enter your basic bio stats: i.e. height/weight range (within 5kgs) and your likely position

I'll put together some team options if we get enough spread. Note that this is purely fun only, and not intended to rub anyone the wrong way.

Me
194cm
95kg
had a good solid set shot and decent range (50m) and could kick on the run.

Would probably be suited to FF or CHF

178cm and 78kg. Probably forward pocket. Was played out of position in my 10 years of footy, and was forced to play down back while out shitty forward line hid the duds.

Im a very good kick, both set shot and field, and can tackle well, and a good overhead mark, but im slow as s**t.
So I would liken myself to a miniature Matthew Panos :thumbsu::p

Bout 180cms and 84 kilos. Slow as a wet week and have little to no depth in my kicking thanks to some chronic leg problems.

For some reason I seem to be ok in close. About the only thing I do well is get my arms free in a tackle, and I can dodge/weave pretty well. I think because I've always had to deal with not being physically proficient, I've learnt to make up for it in other areas.

If I could run quickly and for extended distances (again, chronic leg issues have ****ed me) I'd be a handy inside mid.

As it is on the weekends I play up forward and look to hand off on set shots from more than 25 metres.

When I used to play juniors I was always the smallest on the team. Stand now about 177 and about 80kg, as a kid I was average speed at running but had heaps of endurance and agile, was always a good tackler as well. Pretty average kick when it's anything over about 30-40 meters due to my dodgy knees (started playing up around the age of 16). The same knees means i'm not very good with the low ball, hurts to put downwards pressure on my knee caps basically.

Position in juniors varied from On Ball\Wing to the flanks and pockets.

I would be playing midfielder/tackling role, i weigh 80kg so i can throw my body around in a tackle.
I play under 23's Basketball and i was told i play like a basketball player with a AFL player aggression.

BRG93

The Beacon of BigFooty
Artist Western Bulldogs - Honeychurch/Austin/Prudden Player Sponsor 2014
Aug 27, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Me: 200cm 115kg
Full Forward around 45-50m kick
Pritty accurate set shot

Testekill

Don't look at me like that
Dec 3, 2009
Brisbane
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray Bulldogs, Williamstown
As a junior, I always played as a third tall in attack. I could clunk them, a reasonable kick and played aggressively. I'm now about 190cm and 92 kilos so I'm still a decent size but I've had knee issues since I was about 15 so I would have had troubles even if I was talented enough to make it (which I wasn't)

who_let_the_dogs_out

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 1, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
Similar size to dahlhaus_1993, coming in at 201cm and around 113kg. Would ruck for sure.

When I played up until about 5 years ago I was a ruckman, pinchhitting forward. Loved a stint at full forward.

As my family moved to QLD in my early teens footy stopped being a focus, and switched to basketball as I was pretty tall. It was the mid 90's as well and the world had gone NBA mad.

Wish I'd have kept playing footy in my teens as it hampered my development. Went back to footy in my late teens, but could only go as high as the AFLQ.

BRG93

The Beacon of BigFooty
Artist Western Bulldogs - Honeychurch/Austin/Prudden Player Sponsor 2014
Aug 27, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Similar size to dahlhaus_1993, coming in at 201cm and around 113kg. Would ruck for sure.

When I played up until about 5 years ago I was a ruckman, pinchhitting forward. Loved a stint at full forward.

As my family moved to QLD in my early teens footy stopped being a focus, and switched to basketball as I was pretty tall. It was the mid 90's as well and the world had gone NBA mad.

Wish I'd have kept playing footy in my teens as it hampered my development. Went back to footy in my late teens, but could only go as high as the AFLQ.

Yeah im hoping that I dont let my opportunity slip so im about to start training so i can drop around 10kg to play again nxt year I miss playing plus im 20 nxt year so still young

I'm around 176-177cm, 75kg odd. Always played CHF or flank when I was younger, but due to work since 16 haven't played competitively for 10yrs, do miss it :( always ended up as leading goalkicker even over the FF :p pretty straight kick, bananas from the right pocket are nailed 8/10 I'd say. Average speed though, but a decent mark too. Took a replica mark of Shaun Smiths grab in a school match, don't have that good of a jump any more

But due to not growing as much as everyone else I'd probably be more suited to a Betts/Milne role

Im 172, 76kgs.

I play midfield, short kick, slow and get most of my kicks in the back 50. Handball more then kick and inside more then outside, I am basically a reserve grade EDFL league Daniel Cross

I am also fortunate enough to be finishing at 2pm this Satuday and therefore unable to go and watch us get spanked :oops:

I'll join in. I'm 182cm and at the moment about 87kg's, but it's fat not muscle.

I effectively play the Morris role in my team - I won't get many touches but my opponent wont get near it. I also play a lot taller than I actually am. So yeah, Back Pocket playing on the 2nd-3rd tall.

Jun 16, 2011
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I'm 174cm and 65kgs. But when I used to play I would of been around 150cm and 45-50kgs and that was under 14s.

Used to play small forward/midfielder as I was always the smallest guy in the team, didn't really have a growth spurt till I was 16-17. Was always one of the slower guys on the team, small legs, but I could run forever being a cross country runner. Kicking wise was one of the more accurate kicks hardly ever missed a target within 30m and anywhere within that range of goal you could nearly put your house on me kicking it. Struggled though to kick any further then 40m nowadays though 50m is probably my max with a slight tailwind.

178cm - 81kg

Massive boot (55m + on the run), always quickest on the team with a lot of endurance, great hands and leap and can lay a mean tackle.

Would play on the ball and rotate into the forward line, but can play anywhere comfortably.

Substitute!

181cm, 93kg (down from 120kg 19 months ago).....have played mainly HFF changing on ball in 2's this year, but mainly played as a key forward when thrust into senior side (although I did spend 10 minutes at full back and kept a decent opponent kickless. When he did get a kick 60 seconds after being rotated I let the stand in coaches know about it in a joking sort of manner). Tend to rely on endurance rather than speed, prefer wet conditions to play in close. Tend to use intelligence to find space and has been known to use voice both in instructing and educating team mates and sledging opponents.

194 cm and 88 kgs, probably would see myself as a spoiling defender; right foot kick:- horrid 10-15 metre kick on my left.
You sound a bit like me. I'm 6'2", whatever that is, and 89 kg. I only started playing when I was about 18 and never reached any great heights but had a bit of a knack of negating forwards, mainly as back pocket. One of my highlights while playing for Seddon ressies was when I got switched onto their CHF, who had been cutting it up with about 4 goals to half time, and I kept him to one for the second half. One of the guys at the club said it was one of the best 'stopping' efforts he had seen. Didn't put in any great repeat efforts tho. :) Also have a vague memory of doing one left foot kick during a match hehe.

Back