If you were the AFL CEO you would…

Why not a poll?

• Home field advantage is stupid, you're a Muppet mate!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, that seems like a great way to do rule changes.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

scottydeewah

Premiership Player
Mar 2, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
New England Patriots
Home Field Advantage

Make home field advantage in the finals a fixed reward for finishing higher on the ladder. On top of this, the home team’s members would be able to buy a ticket plus one guest ticket 3 days before opposition members (one extra), followed by a 5-hour break to the general public. I don’t understand the AFL publics obsession with thinking that going to a game is somehow a right. Seeing your team play finals is a privilege, one earned by your team during the regular season. (I would let a team switch home grounds if they requested it, i.e. to fit more of their members in, e.g. a team moving from Etihad to MCG, but they would have to request it and the same ticketing rules would apply).

Rule Changes by Committee/Democracy.

I am not actually against rule changes. Sometimes they need to occur as the game changes, safety concerns are raised or even tactics change that introduce an element not desired. When this happens, the game may need rule tweaks. My problem is how the rules are currently changed, the new system would work something like this:

Rules could be suggested by medical personal (AFL medical body – club doctors, etc.), umpires, players and coaches.

They would then be assessed by the rules committee which would write the relevant law to ensure it fitted in with existing laws.

The rules would then be submitted to the AFLPA, AFLCA and clubs. If they passed a vote of 75% in all three, they are trialled in that year’s pre-season.

There is then a second vote and if they again pass by 75% they become law.

To be honest I would be happy to tweak the percentages (but would want to be a large majority) and perhaps add in the umpires and perhaps move the players or clubs to more of a veto system than a hard vote. Really the point is to have a system that removed the AFL from deciding rules and instead has it done by the medical staff, umpires (who must adjudicate these rules), players and clubs/coaches who are the true custodians of the game. If they think it is right, then it probably is – and won’t instead be knee jerk or for purely commercial reasons.

(controversy) Reduce the Length of the Season.

The who read the rule changes probably thought – hang on, isn’t that pretty much how the NFL does it – yes, it is based on their model. Today, as I watched the Pats and Steelers play in the NFL I had one of my yearly thoughts. Why is it that the AFL has very few meaningful regular season games?

Now I know that AFL fans will think it does but they rarely have huge consequences. Next year, at round 14, take a snapshot of the ladder and ask yourself, "if the finals started 3 weeks, what would the next 3 rounds of football have in store". I can tell you there will be matchups with consequences that have teams finishing from 1st to 6th, from 5th to 13th. The NFL, NBA, NHL and even European football (to a degree) have all manufactured this into their sports. The length of the season and structure mean that there are more important games where the consequences are huge (some people have already switched off as they think our game is wholly unique and that we shouldn’t take anything from foreign sports – which are both laughably incorrect and a touch ironic!)

I know there are football tragics who would play every week of the year (who coincidentally the ones that would have their club in a never ending rebuild – “play the kids” – but shortening the season would:
  • Mean a fairer draw, each team playing each other once.
  • Make for more fun head to head deciders - why have percentage be the next decider, why not head to head splits? Who cares who smashed X s**t team by the most? Having that win against the arch enemy means even more!
  • There are more weekly permutations at the back end of the season.
  • You get less late season garbage games as teams become disinterested, put players in for surgery, have injuries stack up, etc.
  • There would be fewer injuries - between weeks 17 and 23 each year there are multiple teams that go from contenders to dead because the injuries pile up. More teams heading into the finals on a role is better.
  • More is less. For one, I enjoy the offseason and its length, there are plenty of other things and I want football in winter running into spring.

Something like three preseason games. Everyone plays each other once. Top 6 week one finals bye. 7th vs 10th and 8th vs 9th for the last two finals spots. Then a regular freaking bracket to get into finals with top teams havin the home ground advantage throughout!

I guess the first two will probably get some support, with the third getting shouted down. But they are what would happen if Scotty was King. What would you do….

Each team plays each team twice.
20 minute quarters, no time on.
Each player has minimum compulsory 4 byes per season.
No preseason.
50 players on each list. (seniors and reserves)

BENEFITS
*Fairness
*80 minute games better for attention spans of all involved

No preseason.

BENEFITS
*Fairness
I'd be going to fewer games if the game time was reduced. As it stands today I spend two hours getting to some games and two more to return home. Some days that effort will seem too much and I'd choose to watch on TV if the game time was reduced.

I'd be going to fewer games if the game time was reduced. As it stands today I spend two hours getting to some games and two more to return home. Some days that effort will seem too much and I'd choose to watch on TV if the game time was reduced.
Small kids want to leave or arrive at half time
80 minutes is maybe too short.
What about 22mins 30 seconds?
Gets us 90 mins.

A symmetrical fixture. 1x home and 1x away against each team.

2 State of origin games (Vic, SA, WA, the rest) during the end of season bye before the GF.

No preseason.

BENEFITS
*Fairness
If they reduced the game to 80 minutes i would stop going. Game is short enough as it is.

If they reduced the game to 80 minutes i would stop going. Game is short enough as it is.

They'd need to reduce the gametime to 15 minutes for the millennials to stay focused.

or alternatively just allow them to watch it via a smartphone in which case you can double that time.

20 minute quarters stays the same so if it’s 33 minutes then stiff s**t.

34 rounds. Rather entirely lose finals and have just first place wins the league than have less rounds than this. Plus we are the kings of finishing first.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

OK.
What about 25 min quarters, NO time on?
Stiffer penalties for time wasting, oob etc.

It actually amazes me that people would want 34 games a year (plus maybe finals and pre-season - sanctioned or not, teams are playing practice games). The player breakdown rate would be huge, that is soooo much football!

Also there is barely 4 months off to squeeze in a pre-season, draft, trade period, Christmas, etc. They would be playing Jan to September or so. Wowsa!

OK.
What about 25 min quarters, NO time on?
Stiffer penalties for time wasting, oob etc.
if you had no time on then you would encourage far more time wasting as there would actually be a real benefit to it. I think the current system is good as it is although i would call time on as soon as a player nominates he is shooting for goal and only turn it back on once he kicks it or plays on.

It actually amazes me that people would want 34 games a year (plus maybe finals and pre-season - sanctioned or not, teams are playing practice games). The player breakdown rate would be huge, that is soooo much football!

Also there is barely 4 months off to squeeze in a pre-season, draft, trade period, Christmas, etc. They would be playing Jan to September or so. Wowsa!
Pre-season isn’t important. Other sports barely even get one. Only in Australia they tend to.

34 weeks + finals and no practice matches (38)

1 month break and during the break there’s all the trade period and drafts (42). 6 week break for 4+ year players (44) and depending on how long your careers gone then either 10 or 8 weeks of preseason.

Teams who don’t make finals have an extra month of preseason but take their break after not making it through.

Just take out 1 Xmas week. That’s it.

Pre-season isn’t important. Other sports barely even get one. Only in Australia they tend to.

34 weeks + finals and no practice matches (38)

1 month break and during the break there’s all the trade period and drafts (42). 6 week break for 4+ year players (44) and depending on how long your careers gone then either 10 or 8 weeks of preseason.

Teams who don’t make finals have an extra month of preseason but take their break after not making it through.

Just take out 1 Xmas week. That’s it.
but doesnt having 34 matches to eliminate 10 teams from the flag race and only 4 weeks to eliminate the other 7 seem a little lopsided? I would lose interest in the season once top eight was ensured and only come back once finals started. 22 is probably too much if there are only four weeks of finals.

Then there is problem with injuries. Finals would be played by teams half full of vfl players making premierships even more about injury luck then talent.

but doesnt having 34 matches to eliminate 10 teams from the flag race and only 4 weeks to eliminate the other 7 seem a little lopsided? I would lose interest in the season once top eight was ensured and only come back once finals started. 22 is probably too much if there are only four weeks of finals.
Then my much preferred idea of 34 and no finals. Ladder leader is first.

...put a lot of noses out of joint by:

1. Reducing the game to 16 players on the field at once and cap interchanges at 10 per quarter.
2. Introduce a mid-season draft/trade period
3. Reduce the season to 17 rounds with more exhibition type matches at the start and end of year (e.g. all-star, international).

Then my much preferred idea of 34 and no finals. Ladder leader is first.
this is the best way to produce a winner but lacks the entertainment factor. You need to have a reason for supporters whose team cant win the flag to still be excited. After about round 12 there will only be 6 teams left who can win it with still 22 rounds to go. Having second tier comps and relegations and the FAI cup knockout comp is how they keep excitement in the Premier League. How would we do it?

Back