Discussion If you were to take over Champion Data, What would you change?

May 20, 2009
coburg
AFL Club
North Melbourne
tbh i think the wild card wouldn't work in sc, way too strong, aren't as many players in epl fantasy where in sc, you can change 30, just too strong and too big a shift. Triple Captain would be great and I think the free hit would be perfect for bye rounds and would almost take bye planning out of the equation which i think we would all love.
I think the wild card would be worth doing just to watch the nuffies use it r2.
LOL factor

tbh i think the wild card wouldn't work in sc, way too strong, aren't as many players in epl fantasy where in sc, you can change 30, just too strong and too big a shift. Triple Captain would be great and I think the free hit would be perfect for bye rounds and would almost take bye planning out of the equation which i think we would all love.
Yeah can see that re; wild card. Maybe it should come with a cost - ie to use it costs 3 trades and obviously if you have less than 3 trades left you can’t use it if you haven’t already. Just to balance a tad.

CD clearly don’t give a * what we think but theorycrafting is cool anyway :moustache:

May 20, 2009
coburg
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Yeah can see that re; wild card. Maybe it should come with a cost - ie to use it costs 3 trades and obviously if you have less than 3 trades left you can’t use it if you haven’t already. Just to balance a tad.

CD clearly don’t give a fu** what we think but theorycrafting is cool anyway :moustache:
I thought it just goes back to 25 trades total + wild card once a year.

I still remember the times where we only had 20 for the season that’s basically free in my book :moustache:

Yes and you couldn't reverse trades either during the week.

Yep.
more trades = more clicks.
teams used to be much more midpricey.
You would think so but they’ve lost players recently. Can remember numbers being much much higher throughout the early 2010s
Yes and you couldn't reverse trades either during the week.
This is a change I don’t necessarily mind too much but it is a change that has vastly reduced the number of melts when “WTF PORPLYZIA IS OUT AND I CANT TRADE HIM” happens :moustache:

May 20, 2009
coburg
AFL Club
North Melbourne
You would think so but they’ve lost players recently. Can remember numbers being much much higher throughout the early 2010s

This is a change I don’t necessarily mind too much but it is a change that has vastly reduced the number of melts when “WTF PORPLYZIA IS OUT AND I CANT TRADE HIM” happens :moustache:
Ive got mates that used to play every year.
They give up by r10 because they screwed there starting team or had mass injuries.
A few years of that in a row and they give up entirely.
A wild card would go a long way to retaining these people.

Mar 4, 2009
Crown Poker Room
AFL Club
Hawthorn
This would be for the game and not CD.

Think they need to reduce luck and especially rookielotto, I would like to see emergencies removed and you get the best 6 defender scores, best 8 mids etc. This would mitigate the impact of an early game injury somewhat and possibly diversifying strategy as do you go depth over top end players for instance.

The EPL style things dont think work too well in a league setting at all except perhaps the wildcard and if they went wildcard I would prefer less trades.

The Captain is also pot luck at times, maybe have 2 or 3 and you get the highest.

Once per round, CD should break down the scoring of a player with a questionable score. They can create a poll at the conclusion of the round, post it to Twitter. 2, 3 or 4 players, some that seem like they have a high score, some that seem like they have a low score. We can vote on who we want explained. CD should then break down the scoring of said player, to justify the high or low score. What act boosted their score, which goal, which tackle, which random stat, etc. This will go a long way to building trust in the community. Even if their explanations seem stupid, even if it looks like they're making it up to justify their KOTD/hate, at least there will be some accountability and people will trust them more.

Once per round, CD should break down the scoring of a player with a questionable score. They can create a poll at the conclusion of the round, post it to Twitter. 2, 3 or 4 players, some that seem like they have a high score, some that seem like they have a low score. We can vote on who we want explained. CD should then break down the scoring of said player, to justify the high or low score. What act boosted their score, which goal, which tackle, which random stat, etc. This will go a long way to building trust in the community. Even if their explanations seem stupid, even if it looks like they're making it up to justify their KOTD/hate, at least there will be some accountability and people will trust them more.
lol as if CD care about us enough to do that 😂 😂 😂

ImissFrosty should be made the work experience kid and his position should be the Supervisor of Even Lipstick Application for all Kissed On The Dick for super coach players across the board...

or...SELA of KOTD for short. :moustache:
I'm actually have thought about trying to get in touch with CD, see what roles they've got. If I did, Frost would be a must own and Bont rookie priced.

Mar 14, 2009
MCG
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Tottenham
- Kick ins should not be allocated any points.

- Uncontested play rewarded less. Seagulls kicking 10m across defence 20 times a game should not be scoring 100+ because their DE% is high. Jake Lloyd and Ridley etc.

- Contested play rewarded more. If a player wins a hard ball and gets the ball going forward don't punish them by dropping their DE% and points if it doesn't perfectly go to a teammates chest. Taranto????!!

- Score ineffective kicks and effective kicks the same way across the board no matter the name of the player. Clarify what is an effective, ineffective kick and clanger regularly with examples. Too inconsistent.

- Find a way to get rid of scaling and mostly post game scaling. That is just another way the competition lacks clarity because it allows campgainer data to "scale" their favoruites up huge amounts without the need for explanation. Either that or explain how and why certain players are being scaled up or down.

- Weekly play by play review of Bont and Jack Steele's scores to maintain parity and fairness.

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
My only issue is the incredible lack of transparency and nobody takes responsibility for getting it wrong.

I'm the same as stevebbb, they need to post how players got their score, where they lost points over the course of an entire game etc because then they can't hide behind a screen and gift points to the popular guys or big name players.

I also agree, 4 points for an effective kick out is rubbish. And if a bloke kicks a goal late in the game, I don't care if it's over, they should always be awarded the full 9 points quota. I also don't like scaling backwards, only upwards imo, maybe changing of the 3300 to 3500 or 3600 would make it more appropriate.

Also more weight needs to be put into location and effectiveness of disposal. It's a crime that Lloyd gets 30 uncontested touches a week but tons up, he literally doesn't add anything to the Swans team lmao

Feb 17, 2009
epping
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
golden state warriors
Friday night lockout- pick your capt and vc only applys if capt is a late out. No more loopholes

30 trades, but can be used whenever you want- if you wanna use 8 trades in a round so be it. Adds a bit more strategy and rewards smarter coaches

less bloody articles about who to trade in and how to pick a starting team, too many teams are the same at the start of the year

PenAndPaper

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 17, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Kick in under 40 metres only worth 1 point
Kick in over 40 metres worth 2 MAX regardless of outcome. You don’t have to do any work to get the possession, you don’t have to run hard or make space or win the pill. No pressure. Score it accordingly

I think scoring around tackles should be changed too. +4s for arm taps is getting ridiculous
Tackle that results in stoppage +2
Tackle that results in turnover of possession/HTB scored as normal

Wildcard round idea is a good one too. Or at least one week per year where we can use like 5 trades per round but it’s at the discretion of the player when to activate

But honestly as long as there’s the subjective nature to scoring (which until we get OPTA level analysis like the EPL, there’s always going to be) we’re going to keep melting about interpretations and biases. Tis the game we play :moustache:
Problem with that one is there are a ridiculous amount of tackles that are good, where the ball gets "knocked out" (player just drops it) and it's not called

Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide
Ive always thought and i could be wrong.
That the peeps entering the data watching the games must have ''who did that handpass moments''
hit a button and go back to it at the next break of play and enter the correct person.
Humans are involved .....mistaken identity would be happening & points incorrectly allocated to the wrong person
The most noticeable would be Worpel and Titch ....where sometimes in close it's impossible to differentiate

Back