Discussion If you were to take over Champion Data, What would you change?

Remove this Banner Ad

Phoenix_9

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 12, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
St Kilda
1. Transparent scoring.
2. In season position changes.
3. 10% starting salary cap reduction, just to make it that little bit harder to go full premo.

Leave emergencies. Leave total trades. No wildcard. Leave Captain loopholing. Leave bye rounds.

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2014
Peramangk country Adelaide Hills
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
My SuperCoach team
1. Transparent scoring.
2. In season position changes.
3. 10% salary cap reduction, just to make it that little bit harder to go full premo.

Leave emergencies. Leave total trades. No wildcard. Leave Captain loopholing. Leave bye rounds.
I like it. If it ain't broke (much) don't fix it (much)

I like it. If it ain't broke (much) don't fix it (much)
Only it is broke, as the drop off in numbers clearly show. We’re all addicts in here.

exit

Premiership Player
Jun 24, 2007
AFL Club
Adelaide
Probably going to be on my own here but to me the more you take luck out of it the better
it would be. If you have Pendles injured in the first qtr score 26 and Dow emg score 89, I think
you should get Dow's score, be rewarded for having good cover/depth. That's the most frustrating
part of the game for me.
Maybe get E score if higher than lowest score on field each position. Would be an alternative to looping.

Injuries and rookie lotto are pure luck, not skill.

Sherman41

Norm Smith Medallist
May 3, 2006
Ballarat
AFL Club
Collingwood
Only it is broke, as the drop off in numbers clearly show. We’re all addicts in here.
I hear you’re the guy to see, you got anymore of that SuperCoach.
1627475095365.gif

exit

Premiership Player
Jun 24, 2007
AFL Club
Adelaide
Maybe get E score if higher than lowest score on field each position.
And if that's too hard to implement, what about a limited number of lock subs, say 10 for example.

Player A gets injured early in first, player B gets decent score as Emerg, use a lock sub to sub after
they've played. On field rookie scores 20, Emerg rookie has one out of the box, use lock sub.

Still strategic, would only want to use for worst luck, not frivolously.

Dec 3, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne
And if that's too hard to implement, what about a limited number of lock subs, say 10 for example.

Player A gets injured early in first, player B gets decent score as Emerg, use a lock sub to sub after
they've played. On field rookie scores 20, Emerg rookie has one out of the box, use lock sub.

Still strategic, would only want to use for worst luck, not frivolously.

What's a lock sub?

exit

Premiership Player
Jun 24, 2007
AFL Club
Adelaide
That does not explain anything.

That does.

Yeh, no thanks.
Cool, was late, thinking out loud.

Just would like option to use sub score when injury effected player on field.

We can come up with as many grand plans as we like, lets face it, they're not
going to make any drastic changes. This is about throwing ideas out there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

exit

Premiership Player
Jun 24, 2007
AFL Club
Adelaide
Some of these proposed changes want to reduce and/or eliminate luck, but luck (good and bad) is an important aspect of the game as far as I'm concerned. Not in respect to counting on luck going your way to do well, but in how you deal with bad luck when in inevitably comes your way.
Agree in a way, it's obviously largely about luck and how you deal with it. But I still think if you
have good bench cover you should be able to actually use that cover when s**t goes down.

You're a coach and a player get's injured, what do you do? Take him off and sub on your emergency.

Anyway, all good, we can agree to disagree.

Mar 27, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
My biggest thing I would change is positional changes, particularly rookies, you get a player who is named as defender, but the first 6-8 weeks plays as a forward, eg Kosi, they should be made a dual position, as I don’t think you can change defender to a forward as it wouldn’t be feasible if you have already got
him in your team, Bergman is another, named as a Fwd but plays in Def

Intresting one is N. Cox, named as Def/Fwd, but mainly plays on the Wing, so he really is a Mid

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Cool, was late, thinking out loud.

Just would like option to use sub score when injury effected player on field.

We can come up with as many grand plans as we like, lets face it, they're not
going to make any drastic changes. This is about throwing ideas out there.
Would only agree if your injured player has played, and your emergency hasn’t played, and there is a mechanism where you can sub your emergency in for the injured player, as you may want to keep your injured players score

BFMC

Senior List
Mar 22, 2021
Geelong
AFL Club
Essendon
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to make the game harder instead of easier?

1 - Contentious and will never happen, but amusing to consider: Cap on the number of players you can select per side. Maybe 3 total and can only field 2 (and even 1 per line on field). Want Lloyd/Mills/Warner/Gulden/Hickey/Campbell (for example)? Bad luck. Want Bont + Macrae, Merrett + Parish, Zorko (mid) & Neale, Piggy & Petracca etc? Tough s**t. Whats that, Bramble comes out of the woodwork late in the season and you've got Titch, Jiath and Phillips? Unlucky....

2 - More realistic, and would actually like to see it: Back the trades off. 20 'open' trades with an additional 5 injury trades (i.e. can only use to trade out a player that has an injury flag). To make it really interesting, you could make the injury trades just have to involve a player with a flag either in our out. Would mean you could gamble your injury trades on a 1 weeker/player about to return without having to use 1 of your 20.

Jun 19, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
1 - Contentious and will never happen, but amusing to consider: Cap on the number of players you can select per side. Maybe 3 total and can only field 2 (and even 1 per line on field). Want Lloyd/Mills/Warner/Gulden/Hickey/Campbell (for example)? Bad luck. Want Bont + Macrae, Merrett + Parish, Zorko (mid) & Neale, Piggy & Petracca etc? Tough sh*t. Whats that, Bramble comes out of the woodwork late in the season and you've got Titch, Jiath and Phillips? Unlucky....

2 - More realistic, and would actually like to see it: Back the trades off. 20 'open' trades with an additional 5 injury trades (i.e. can only use to trade out a player that has an injury flag). To make it really interesting, you could make the injury trades just have to involve a player with a flag either in our out. Would mean you could gamble your injury trades on a 1 weeker/player about to return without having to use 1 of your 20.
More granular positions. 2 key position forwards, 2 key position defenders etc. Although that could actually make teams more similar.

Ingy

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 5, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
This would never happen, but if I was the all-powerful overlord, I'd price players based on a curve instead of linearly. The magic number wouldn't be a constant even within a round.

Effectively, this would make midpricers cheaper and premos more expensive. The super-premos would become prohibitively expensive, you wouldn't be able to jump on them after they did a Sean Darcy, you'd have to have already got on them.

The reason I'd do this is that it would make the number of SC relevant players much bigger, which would make the game more interesting in my opinion. Accurately predicting that a guy was going to go from a 65 average to an 80 average would be worth something. Right now that is useless even if you are right, unless a player enters the realms of the premos, improvement isn't enough to make them a good pick, and I'm not a fan of that.

This would have a similar, but even more telling, effect to reducing the salary cap. Full premo becomes impossible unless you got on them before they became premos, and mid-pricers would have their day

Premiership Player
Mar 29, 2010
Victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Manchester United
Not sure the specific injury trades would work, as quite often it is not really known whether a player is actually injured, dropped, COVID, 'general soreness', 'managed', 'mental health', 'calf awareness', etc. The whole thing would be pretty grey.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back