Discussion If you were to take over Champion Data, What would you change?

Dec 7, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Manchester United, All Blacks
Less trades is fine, but you would need to do something to still make it possible to get a complete team. Currently you'd need an almost perfect run to do that with 25 trades. You'll lose a lot of coaches if they get wrecked by injuries early and have less trades.

Maybe dropping all the rookies to under $130k to make cash gen a bit easier?

Or have seperate trades for players that are LTI. Maybe a player can be traded for free in they miss 4 games through injury? Then there is still an advantage to other coaches.

Premiership Player
Mar 29, 2010
Victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Manchester United
When there were 20, then 24 trades, you had to really think about your trades, especially which rookies to take, and you really couldn't afford to sideways trade if you wanted to properly finish your team. It probably encouraged people to pick more mid-priced players too. This year most would agree that there has been 'carnage' at various stages, yet people have still copped this, made multiple errors, and still finished their teams, often with trades to spare. With 30 trades each year it has become a case of not whether to trade / hold one back, but what two trades will I do this week?

Dec 3, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne
Less trades is fine, but you would need to do something to still make it possible to get a complete team. Currently you'd need an almost perfect run to do that with 25 trades. You'll lose a lot of coaches if they get wrecked by injuries early and have less trades.

Maybe dropping all the rookies to under $130k to make cash gen a bit easier?

Or have seperate trades for players that are LTI. Maybe a player can be traded for free in they miss 4 games through injury? Then there is still an advantage to other coaches.

Still possible to complete. Won't be possible to own every uber-premo though so complete teams would be a bit more mid-pricey.

Ingy

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 5, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Idk about that.
If you are good at picking a starting team you get an advantage.
As you now have to do it twice.
Still having your wild card this time of year and having a decent ranking would mean you have a massive advantage.
same as with leagues this round.
what it would do to leagues is cut down the number of ghost ships.
that has to be a good thing.

If the wild card was a thing, and I was going for league glory, my starting team would be purely about cash generation. I wouldn't pick a guy that wasn't going to make me at least 100k. By Round 8 I'd be so far behind on overall that I couldn't possibly catch up, but when I used all that cash later on to build a completed team from the ground up, with full knowledge about all the players that had better roles and had broken out etc, a team that was set to try to win the weekly in Round 1 would be uncompetitive against me, I feel. That's the way I see it. You couldn't have your cake and eat it too like you can now, if you pick a good enough combination of studs and cash cows. I could be wrong but I definitely think the contrast between goals would be more stark

Dec 7, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Still possible to complete. Won't be possible to own every uber-premo though so complete teams would be a bit more mid-pricey.
Yeah fair enough. I think the less trades you have the more luck comes into though, with regards to injuries. It would just come down to who dodges the carnage better (which isn't all luck of course). I would expect to see a lot of very similar starting teams in that case as everyone picks the "safest" players.

The flip-side would be having to trade in players below the SP level as they would be un-affordable so teams would become more varied as the season progressed.

May 20, 2009
coburg
AFL Club
North Melbourne
If the wild card was a thing, and I was going for league glory, my starting team would be purely about cash generation. I wouldn't pick a guy that wasn't going to make me at least 100k. By Round 8 I'd be so far behind on overall that I couldn't possibly catch up, but when I used all that cash later on to build a completed team from the ground up, with full knowledge about all the players that had better roles and had broken out etc, a team that was set to try to win the weekly in Round 1 would be uncompetitive against me, I feel. That's the way I see it. You couldn't have your cake and eat it too like you can now, if you pick a good enough combination of studs and cash cows. I could be wrong but I definitely think the contrast between goals would be more stark
Going ultra value will leave you so far behind in leagues you would struggle to make finals.
let alone top 4.
Any cash league is ultra competitive.
You dont really get to 12-12.5 mil until the byes as it stands.
which requires cycling through rookies. ie downgrading a maxed rookie to a new one.
It would be almost impossible to do it with just your starting team.

Ingy

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 5, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Going ultra value will leave you so far behind in leagues you would struggle to make finals.
let alone top 4.
Any cash league is ultra competitive.
You dont really get to 12-12.5 mil until the byes as it stands.
which requires cycling through rookies. ie downgrading a maxed rookie to a new one.
It would be almost impossible to do it with just your starting team.

That's because only half of your squad are making you cash, and some of the other half bleed on you.

Wild card would change a lot of things.

Do you not agree it would create more variance in overall strategy?

May 20, 2009
coburg
AFL Club
North Melbourne
That's because only half of your squad are making you cash, and some of the other half bleed on you.

Wild card would change a lot of things.

Do you not agree it would create more variance in overall strategy?
yep.
more variance in teams also.
Much more. Different teams depending on which week its used.
the major factor is helping with attrition.
Weve had a heap of folks get cruelled by mass injuries and quit each year.
they can have another crack and not become ghost ships.
Using it early will be a negative for both leagues and overall.
but at least it keeps peeps active.

Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide
I’ll use my workplace as an example. Years ago everyone was playing it and obsessed. I’ve watched most of them drift away and they all use the same excuse that it’s too time consuming now.
Definitely a lot more strategic with VC loops, trading during the rounds, etc.
I prefer it now myself, but even then I’m down 600+ points through work commitments where I miss late outs, unable to capitalise on a decent VC score.
Think you'll find the younger players have less committment to most things in general ......never understood people who watch a DVD movie and then turn it off 20 min B4 the finish, saying "i'll finish it another day"

Oct 17, 2017
Puppies
AFL Club
West Coast
Think you'll find the younger players have less committment to most things in general ......never understood people who watch a DVD movie and then turn it off 20 min B4 the finish, saying "i'll finish it another day"
People still watch DVDs?

1.gif

Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to make the game harder instead of easier?
Interesting ?

Maybe HS offers 2 levels of game participation .....novice and experienced

"Novice" level could have 2 trades a week to keep their involvement going ......and the "experienced" level have the same criteria as current

How would you make the game harder ......scoring, prices, or trades ? .....less DPP's

Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide
People still watch DVDs?

View attachment 1188534
No, but I had to make the message understandable to all generations .....should have added in VHS's

All my 6,000 movies are on a bank of HD's Mr Newman .....all played via a Minix Media Player and Kodi software interface

Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide
Weve had a heap of folks get cruelled by mass injuries and quit each year.
they can have another crack and not become ghost ships.
So Buttox how are you suggesting this point be addressed ....without disadvantaging those that have chosen less injury prone players, or saved trades

IMO one of the biggest frustrations is getting a player injured in the first 20 min of play .....an injury trade or ability to use an (E) player in a circumstance where a player is injured early in a game

I haven't thought it through ....so not sure of how the mechanics would work

Dec 3, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne
Interesting ?

"Novice" level could have 2 trades a week to keep their involvement going ......and the "experienced" level have the same criteria as current

How would you make the game harder ......scoring, prices, or trades ? .....less DPP's

Inb4 experienced campaigners like Judd_Magic register as "Novice" in 2022 :p

Perhaps the HS could also issue participation certificates to zoomers who's attention spans are equivalent in length to most youtube vids. :rainbow:

Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide

Perhaps the HS could also issue participation certificates to zoomers who's attention spans are equivalent in length to most youtube vids. :rainbow:
LOL ...thought you were going to recommend I participate in the novice division .....thankyou for showing restraint

Apr 25, 2011
Launceston
AFL Club
Richmond

Well I've been playing for a while I'm just not very good. Can I have more trades? Cheers.

May 20, 2009
coburg
AFL Club
North Melbourne
So Buttox how are you suggesting this point be addressed ....without disadvantaging those that have chosen less injury prone players, or saved trades

IMO one of the biggest frustrations is getting a player injured in the first 20 min of play .....an injury trade or ability to use an (E) player in a circumstance where a player is injured early in a game

I haven't thought it through ....so not sure of how the mechanics would work
I think that is part of the game.
early injuries create excellent melts. dont take away my popcorn moments.
You can pick non injury prone players some years and still have 5 injuries in a week.
the game can be cruel.
thats what makes people quit.
5 forward injuries and 2 trades a week.
A WC is one get of jail free card a year.
Everyone gets a massive jolt to there team the week they use it.
The higher your team value the better so mass injury teams are actually at a disadvantage.
eg dusty dropping 25k his injury week.

Dec 7, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Interesting ?

Put Longmire in charge of all the rookies

Back