If your team folded tomorrow who would you go for? Or would you follow another sport?

Remove this Banner Ad

Swannies or Saints. Swans because they are next closest, Saints because they were my childhood team before relocating to the Gold Coast.

Re: If your team folded tomorrow who would you go for? Or would you follow another sp

Helix said:
Swannies or Saints. Swans because they are next closest, Saints because they were my childhood team before relocating to the Gold Coast.

You should always return to your first love, mate.

St Kilda. My junior footy team wore their colours and as a kid Moorabin (god bless its floodlit goalposted heart) was the first footy ground i ever wont too in Melbourne. Still have an old St Kilda sew on patch too, tucked away somewhere.

Re: If your team folded tomorrow who would you go for? Or would you follow another sp

garth p said:
You should always return to your first love, mate.
True. I am still amazed that I picked the Saints, as when I was a school kid I got teased mercilessly for the run of losses! You'd think I would be scarred by it.. :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

WOW, this is a scary thought! Back in the early 90s this would have almost rung true for the Swannies :eek:

BUT, if anyone possibly the Western Bulldogs. The underdog in more than one way! ;)

UNIT said:
St Kilda. My junior footy team wore their colours and as a kid Moorabin (god bless its floodlit goalposted heart) was the first footy ground i ever wont too in Melbourne. Still have an old St Kilda sew on patch too, tucked away somewhere.
I stood in the outer at Moorabin with my dad, and still remember the game Phil Carmen head butted the ump (or rather, how my dad reacted to it - I think i was 8).

no chance of this ever happening and i really cant decide..

i do like the bulldogs and the demons, however i think id have to go for brisbane or sydney.. footy wouldnt be the same tho.. i really wouldnt care, much like the english premier league.. ill follow it and have a favourite team but deep down i dont really give a s**t

I'd still love football, but I could never follow another club if Richmond were to fold.

I honestly don't know how anybody could ever change teams - I would never be so self-absorbed to say that I love my club more than any of you, but there aren't many things in my life that mean more to me than the Richmond Football Club, and I could never throw away what is just as much a lifestyle as it is an alliance.

I honestly don't know how passionate Fitzroy supporters could lead a complete life now, because I'd rather die than see Richmond go under - a part of me would certainly die with the club...

I couldn't support another team, my heart wouldn't be in it.

Ild still follow the game though, ild get along to a few games each year, cause i couldn't think of life without footy...

I would definately keep following footy, but I doubt any club would go under completely. Far more likely a merger/takeover/relocation in which case I would continue to follow my club in whatever form they happen to exist in.
Hypothetically speaking if they did go under completely, probably the western bulldogs.

Unlike most of you I HAVE been faced with that very predicament. The AFL Club CEOS met around the round table to decide whether their 'little Sydney experiment' would be continued. They were going to vote for Carlton to go to Sydney to play its away matches, but when Allan Mcallister heard wind of that, he cracked the ********s. The backlash led to us being kept as the Swans in Sydney.

At the time I was beside myself. But was kind of fatalistic at the time, given the amount of support and understanding the then-VFL had for the development of not only the Swans but the game in NSW. (Remember it was only when Barassi got the 'bug', the AFL seriously started make an greater effort to actually understand the Sydney market and what needed for the club to be successful here.)

At the time when I shared following the Swans 50-50 with the Canberra Raiders, I guess I was resigned to the fact that I would be getting more into the league.

If the swans ever went under (which is as far away from happening at the oment as it has been in the club's history in the Harbour City), I guess I would probably get into follow grass roots sport. I'd watch the SFL in the winter as well as rock up to every Newtown Jets home game. I'd probably make Sydney FC my number one team and follow them around the country. As even though the Swans are my number one priority in life, I am more than likely going to watch a good game of futbol from continental europe (complete with the crowd going ape******** in the background) than I would an every day AFL match on TV.

I'm am NOT being cocky here (Well, OK I''m kinda smiling cheekily writing this),but we know that the Swans are the most important card the AFL has at its disposal right now. We could sent the TV rights deal through the roof to unprecedented level. And has the potential to untap previously unknown both supporter and corporate interest more than pretty much all of the other clubs put together.

But it was NOT always like that. And I remember those days as if they were just yesterday. In 1991 I shed a tear because my club survived, in 1993 I shed a tear because they beat Melbourne, in 2005 I shed a tear because we won a flag. The Swans are like a plant I have not only watched grow, but helped nourish. They are one bloody healthy old beanstalk this day. But the local soil retains the potential to become unfavourable in a dry spelt. (Therefore constant watering is highly recommended.)

JF

I'd follow the game, but would have to wait and see which team kind of grew on me the most. Have had a soft spot for Sydney for some time now (long story as to the reasons why), so if it happened right now, then probably Sydney. But it wouldn't be the same. I'd most likely go back to my first love - South Fremantle - on a more serious basis. I get to a few of their games each year; I'd make more of an effort to go as often as I could. Probably catch the odd AFL game by heading to Sydney once or twice a year and maybe going to weagles games at Subi now and then. But only to barrack for the opposition, of course. ;)

Would never have the slightest bit of interest in following another team.

The only interest i would have would be on games i bet on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back