If your team folded tomorrow who would you go for? Or would you follow another sport?

harmesy 37

Premiership Player
Oct 5, 2005
Princes Park
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Nothing
I couldn't follow another team as passionately as i follow Carlton. Carlton is the only team that truly matters as it has a spirit, a soul that has been going for over 150 years. I would take an interest in the game - still watch the grand finals etc, but probably take more interest in the local league of footy.

I do believe it would be "good for the game" if Geelong won a premiership though - they have been close so many times and deserve a shot at it before most other Victorian clubs.

MarkT

Hall of Famer
Veteran 30k Posts 10k Posts
Oct 1, 2001
Melb
AFL Club
Collingwood
There would have to be some pretty serious issues facing the AFL for Collingwood to fold but if it was to happen I wouldn't follow the AFL very closely. I wouldn't go to games. I'd might watch the odd game on TV and I'd probably watch the VFL on TV now and again but I wouldn't have any passion about footy at all. Not sure what I'd do if my kids got keen on a team. I really don't think I could go and support another team with them. It’s an unlikely hypothetical though.

royalsfan

Club Legend
Jun 17, 2005
perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
east perth
I wouldn't bother with the AFL if the Eagles were not around. I would do as I did pre-Eagles, and continue to follow the Mighty Royals in the WAFL.

GoOsH1

Club Legend
Sep 3, 2005
London
AFL Club
West Coast
Re: If your team folded tomorrow who would you go for? Or would you follow another sp

dunno, have never really thought of the possibility to be honest. I suppose I'd just go for the underdog in whichever game I was watching, maybe one day I'd find another team to support or something.

swanster

Debutant
Oct 17, 2005
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
Richmond or Melbourne. Would have to be one of the VFL teams to try and ensure the same wouldn't happen to those teams I grew up watching.

bluesforever

Club Legend
Suspended
Nov 24, 2003
Geelong
AFL Club
Carlton
Not sure, I'd still follow the AFL, ******** Rugby, the most boring sport in Aus. I would probably barrack for the Bulldogs, but with not as much enthusiasm, not sure I'd even go to games for a while if the Blues died. No chance of it happening anyways.

Nardz

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 17, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
NUFC
Re: If your team folded tomorrow who would you go for? Or would you follow another sp

sainter35 said:
I think you need spell checker....... :thumbsu:

I think you need a life.. if you're gonna sit there correcting spelling on an online forum.

I have been through this. I was a South Melbourne supporter & when they folded (In my mind Sydney is not South Melbourne & I could not barrack for a NSW side) I was in the football wilderness for a few years then I started to follow North, probably mainly because in the mid eighties they were the underdog & didn't have many supporters. Now i am a passionate, signed up member of North Melbourne FC.

If North went under I guess I would go through the same process again until I decided who I wanted to see win most. Although I know it wouldn't be an interstate team or Collingwood, Essendon od Carlton.

Tigeritis

Team Captain
Sep 10, 2004
Bayside
AFL Club
Richmond
As an ex-Fitzroy supporter I dont wish it on anyone - it's really shattering. Richmond were my second favourite team growing up so they became my choice.
It took a couple of years to adjust. This year is my fourth consecutive year as a member and now I am as passionate about the Tiges as I ever was when I barracked for the Roy Boys. Footy's addictive like that I guess, but saying that I couldn't change teams again.
If Richmond folded, I'm sure we'd re-emerge in some form in the VFL or local league so that would be my team.

Portia

#DrewBlood
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog Port Adelaide - Jesse Palmer Player Sponsor 2017 Podcaster Port Adelaide - Riley Bonner Player Sponsor 2016 Port Adelaide - Brendon AhChee Player Sponsor 2014 Port Adelaide - Jarrad Redden Player Sponsor 2014 Port Adelaide - Matthew Broadbent Player Sponsor 2013 Port Adelaide - Captains Club 2012 Sponsor Port Adelaide - John Butcher 2012 Player Sponsor
Oct 7, 2001
Fragile bastion of liberalism
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Muckbuckle Dolmens
I would ditch the AFL, and probably jump on the Wests Tigers bandwagon.

Jun 5, 2004
AFL Club
West Coast
Depends on the circumstances. If they just folded and disappeared then I would still watch football, but I wouldn't be a dedicated supporter to any one side. I'd just sit back and enjoy good games, probably cheer on the underdog of the day.

If the team was absorbed into another side, then that would be a different matter. Let's say the Eagles merged with Fremantle to become the West Docking Coast Freagles... hmm... I think I'd follow another sport or take an interest in the WAFL.

cruiser

Team Captain
Apr 15, 2005
Central Coast
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Glenelg, CC Mariners
I cant imagine it happening now to the Swans, however if it did, I'd follow whichever team replaced them to represent the city of Sydney. Otherwise, the Crows as I'm from Adelaide originally and I HATE Port.

Back