If your team folded tomorrow who would you go for? Or would you follow another sport?

Aug 25, 2005
Grogansville
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I'm not overly interested in the AFL as it is anyway. The only reason I follow it is because of my love for the Saints.

If they didn't exist, I wouldn't have any concerns with never watching another game of AFL again.

It's funny though, I used to go to at least 2 non-Saints matches every weekend. Was a deadset footy tragic 5-10 years ago.

Don't know what it is, but modern footy just doesn't do it for me like it used to.

Asher87

Debutant
Suspended
Sep 23, 2005
Sydney
Other Teams
Bloods
When we elft Melbourne i said that I would never barrack for neone other than the Dees - but now im fanatical Swannies - I'd go bak to the Dees

skilts

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Feb 14, 2002
South-West Gippsland
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Lexton, Northcote Park
As others have stated on this thread, footy wouldn't be the same if my team folded. Hang on. My team, Fitzroy, DID cease to exist as a stand-alone entity in the AFL. And, guess what? Things weren't the same. They were much better.

The final 5 years of Fitzroy's existence were like having teeth pulled without anaesthetic, for me. Since the first final of the 1996 series I have passionately followed the Brisbane Lions, and I've been repaid, in spades. As one of those who was in favour of Fitzroy moving to Brisbane in 1986, I just wish it happened sooner. Much less pain would have ensued.

As for those who would not be interested in the game if their team folded, I can understand your position, but for me the game has always been paramount, rather than the individual teams. The game is what I watch.

Asher87

Debutant
Suspended
Sep 23, 2005
Sydney
Other Teams
Bloods
skilts said:
As for those who would not be interested in the game if their team folded, I can understand your position, but for me the game has always been paramount, rather than the individual teams. The game is what I watch.

AFL is the best - u move on - u get caught up with the passion of another team. I did.

sainter35

Club Legend
Mar 16, 2004
australia
AFL Club
St Kilda
Re: If your team folded tomorrow who would you go for? Or would you follow another sp

Nardz said:
I think you need a life.. if you're gonna sit there correcting spelling on an online forum.

and you think following you around waiting for your next spelling f@rk up isnt a life?....lets be honest........I'll always have something to do....... ;)

sainter35

Club Legend
Mar 16, 2004
australia
AFL Club
St Kilda
Tigeritis said:
As an ex-Fitzroy supporter I dont wish it on anyone - it's really shattering. Richmond were my second favourite team growing up so they became my choice.
It took a couple of years to adjust. This year is my fourth consecutive year as a member and now I am as passionate about the Tiges as I ever was when I barracked for the Roy Boys. Footy's addictive like that I guess, but saying that I couldn't change teams again.
If Richmond folded, I'm sure we'd re-emerge in some form in the VFL or local league so that would be my team.

Tiger I hear ya - was a Roy fan myself and just couldnt follow the Bears..

Saints were my second side, have been a member now 6 yrs and am as passionate about them as the Roys...but if it happened again.....f@rk football alltogether.

Nardz

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 17, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
NUFC
Re: If your team folded tomorrow who would you go for? Or would you follow another sp

sainter35 said:
and you think following you around waiting for your next spelling f@rk up isnt a life?....lets be honest........I'll always have something to do....... ;)

Fair enough...

I'll warn you though, I don't slip up very often....

Actually I think I may frow in a few for you... what can I say, I have a soft spot for the less fortunate.

sainter35

Club Legend
Mar 16, 2004
australia
AFL Club
St Kilda

Nardz said:
Fair enough...

I'll warn you though, I don't slip up very often....

Actually I think I may frow in a few for you... what can I say, I have a soft spot for the less fortunate.

Ahhh the old...."did you see me slip....what slip?...I meant it...." line.......fair enough...whatever rows your boat....us less fortunate wait with abated breath........... :D

fishmonger

Premiership Player
Jun 2, 2005
St Kilda
Other Teams
Grassroots Footy

I'd follow another team if the Hawks folded, but I'd rather see them merge or move to Tasmania or something, in which case I'd probably still follow them in a national competition.
Either that or I'd probably go for Melbourne, St Kilda or the Sydney Swans, which are kind of second teams for me anyway.
But I don't think I'd just drop everything and start watching another sport ... I love aussie rules too much for that.

RedLegs#5

Cancelled
May 30, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Socceroos,Wallabies, Glenn McGrath.

Murray said:
This thread doesn't apply to Collingwood supporters
Nor do education or proper etiquette.

The lucky people......

docsaint

Team Captain
Oct 13, 2005
victoria
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
st.kilda
Lavender Bushranger said:
I'm not overly interested in the AFL as it is anyway. The only reason I follow it is because of my love for the Saints.

If they didn't exist, I wouldn't have any concerns with never watching another game of AFL again.

It's funny though, I used to go to at least 2 non-Saints matches every weekend. Was a deadset footy tragic 5-10 years ago.

Don't know what it is, but modern footy just doesn't do it for me like it used to.
same with me, Fridays nights at the G watching Carey play was much better than the pub.

Alex_au

Club Legend
Apr 11, 2005
Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawthorn

i always had a soft spot for Geelong since they were our bitches during the 90's. But what the hell, if the Hawthorn Football CLub folded tomorrow. I would straight away buy a Geelong membership!

Sherrinator

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 1, 2004
SEQLD
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
BBFFC, Southport AFC
if lions died, i'd definitely follow the swannies. or i might even put in a few million to lobby for sharks as the 16th team.

Hurbie

All Australian
Jun 8, 2003
Sydney City
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Manly Warringah RLFC
Having actually faced this question when the North Sydney Bears folded in the NRL. I stopped watching RL for a few years but I went to a Manly match and I was there again. If you truly love the sport, you'll move on. I doubt I'll ever have the same passion for Manly as I did Norths, but I love the game too much

Back