iiNet

Remove this Banner Ad

May 15, 2007
Not close enough to Freo
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
South Dragons
[RANT]I just moved in to a new house about a month ago so obviously I needed a new phone and internet service. iiNet seemed to have a pretty good deal going with their Naked DSL plan for phone and broadband internet, so once I'd gotten some other crap sorted out, I rang them to get it connected. Didn't have to wait on hold or speak to a machine, it was great. Everything seemed to be going along nicely.

They gave me an appointment time for about 2 weeks down the track (last Thursday) and told me I needed to stay at home between 8am and 1pm. I took the morning off uni (like I needed a reason :rolleyes:) to stay at home to let the tech in. Lo and behold, he didn't show. I was at least a little bit pissed off but I thought he might just show up late, so I stayed until 5pm. Still nothing. So I decided I'd go to a pay phone the next day to have a go at them.

After waiting on hold for half an hour, I finally got through to someone who palmed off the blame to Telstra and re scheduled my appointment for the Tuesday just gone. I was still a little bit annoyed but at least it was going to get done.

Come Tuesday, I took another day off uni and waited patiently for the technician. Again, nothing. To add insult to injury, I received a text message at about noon saying my appointment would be in another 2 weeks time! BASTARDS!!!

So now I'm getting totally screwed, I've got no phone so I can't ring my friends or pay my bills, I've got no internet to access my online uni materials or do my banking, look for a job, waste time on here, look at the racing fields or use my email! God dammit it's frustrating! They waited until I was in their trap and then BAM! They ****ed me over.

So it's going to be 5 weeks between calling them and getting my account set up and getting my phone line switched over. Then it will be at least another week until my modem arrives and my account activated. I reckon this has got to be illegal somehow, especially because they told me when I first rang them it would only take 10-20 days before it was all ready to go.

Has anyone had a similar experience and does anyone know how I can stick it up the bastards? I've been told there's nothing they can do but I'm sure that if I yell and scream loud enough they'll find a way to fix it. I'm thinking fair trading or consumer watchdog.

[/RANT]

That sucks mate. If you can't get online I better hold off on putting my $2,000 on Rich And Wild. ;)

I'm with iiNet and haven't had a problem. Optus on the other hand...........

I spent 3 months overseas in 2006, so I set up my Optus mobile for global roaming. In some countries I could make calls but not sms, and in some countries I could sms but not make phone calls, so I was regularly on the phone (when it was working :eek:) to Optus trying to get it sorted.

When I got home and checked the bill Optus had charged me $160+ for calls to them. :mad: They ended up giving me credit for 75% of the money, but I still paid around $40 to call them about their s**t service.

That sucks mate. If you can't get online I better hold off on putting my $2,000 on Rich And Wild. ;)

Jeez, you're a worry sometimes Dom! :p

I spent 3 months overseas in 2006, so I set up my Optus mobile for global roaming. In some countries I could make calls but not sms, and in some countries I could sms but not make phone calls, so I was regularly on the phone (when it was working :eek:) to Optus trying to get it sorted.

When I got home and checked the bill Optus had charged me $160+ for calls to them. :mad: They ended up giving me credit for 75% of the money, but I still paid around $40 to call them about their s**t service.

Looks like you were lucky with iiNet then. But I guess your Optus experience (which sounds pretty bloody frustrating too) proves that the phone companies are all as bad as one another when it comes to service. You try to tell them what they've done wrong but it's just like beating your head against a brick wall!

Trust me, It is all Telstras fault. Everything thats wrong with telecommunications can pretty much be traced back to Telstra.

He's right Big Kev. iinet aren't allowed to physically go to the exchange and do the work. It's all done by Telstra who seem to go out of their way to piss of customers of other telcos. Blame those bastards.

Its probably no help but your not alone, lots of people have been screwed around by the Telstra techs not showing up.

Have a look at this thread.

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=914073

He's right Big Kev. iinet aren't allowed to physically go to the exchange and do the work. It's all done by Telstra who seem to go out of their way to piss of customers of other telcos. Blame those bastards.

Its probably no help but your not alone, lots of people have been screwed around by the Telstra techs not showing up.

Have a look at this thread.

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=914073

Spot on, when I signed up for broadband with westnet, The modem was here the next day . I then had to wait 3 weeks for Telstra to run one jumper in the exchange.

If you have a combined phone/net service it could take years.

In this case Telstra can take a tiny amount of the blame, but most of the problem lies with iinet not having enough staff and not being prepared enough for such a surge. Alot of the problem is because they don't have enough technicians, and also that the iinet DSLAMS are full. So they are franatically runnign around trying to upgrade them for more capacity. Good sale goods, good product, bad follow through. It would help if they stopped thinking they were the google of perth.

Spot on, when I signed up for broadband with westnet, The modem was here the next day . I then had to wait 3 weeks for Telstra to run one jumper in the exchange.

If you have a combined phone/net service it could take years.
funny that i bet if you connected with telstra they would have somebody there that arvo.

westnet don't have their own dslams in very many places, if you just order DSL they are basically calling telstra and going "Set this up", whereas iinet have their own techs, they just need access to the exchange (which is not hard to get at all). The slowdown at the moment is iinet techs.

In this case Telstra can take a tiny amount of the blame, but most of the problem lies with iinet not having enough staff and not being prepared enough for such a surge. Alot of the problem is because they don't have enough technicians, and also that the iinet DSLAMS are full. So they are franatically runnign around trying to upgrade them for more capacity. Good sale goods, good product, bad follow through. It would help if they stopped thinking they were the google of perth.

Got Telstra shares by any chance?

In these cases the DSLAMS have ports. Just no connection to the line, A Telstra problem.

westnet don't have their own dslams in very many places, if you just order DSL they are basically calling telstra and going "Set this up", whereas iinet have their own techs, they just need access to the exchange (which is not hard to get at all). The slowdown at the moment is iinet techs.

Way incorrect. This work is done by Telsra techs

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No its not. iinet have their own dslams and use their own techs. unless you think iinet are letting telstra techs work on their DSLAMS they setup? If you are not on an iinet dslam already then they need a telstra tech to patch to their dslam, thats it, and that isn't hard to get. The delay is with iinet.

No its not. iinet have their own dslams and use their own techs. unless you think iinet are letting telstra techs work on their DSLAMS they setup?

iinet techs (or contractors) install and upgrade the dslams, However the connection of the lines is done by telstra staff only. This is where the problems occur.

Don't even talk about International Roaming!! 3 didn't tell me it wasn't part of my cap, so ended up paying $400+ in phone calls/sms. Then they cut off my phone, so I had to find somewhere to get online to contact someone back here.

iinet techs (or contractors) install and upgrade the dslams, However the connection of the lines is done by telstra staff only. This is where the problems occur.

that's right. As doing the connection results in the techy having to touch both Telstra and iiNet equipment

Yeah I was told by the iiNet bloke on the phone that although iiNet have their own technicians and contractors, to get the connection set up they need to mess with Telstra gear so only Telstra people can do the work. He even said that if they detect a problem, they can send their guys out to look at and find out exactly what's wrong with a faulty piece of equipment, but if it's Telstra gear, they can't touch it.

I think my rage was misplaced earlier. I should probably be more angry with the Government for allowing this sort of bullshit to go on while they drag their feet on de-regulating the telecommunications industry to take the power away from Telstra. Fair enough, Telstra built all of the infrastructure, but in those days the Government WAS Telstra, so it should technically be the Government's infrastructure. And they should allow all of the telcos access to it so that it can receive the attention that it needs.

Yeah I was told by the iiNet bloke on the phone that although iiNet have their own technicians and contractors, to get the connection set up they need to mess with Telstra gear so only Telstra people can do the work. He even said that if they detect a problem, they can send their guys out to look at and find out exactly what's wrong with a faulty piece of equipment, but if it's Telstra gear, they can't touch it.

I think my rage was misplaced earlier. I should probably be more angry with the Government for allowing this sort of bullshit to go on while they drag their feet on de-regulating the telecommunications industry to take the power away from Telstra. Fair enough, Telstra built all of the infrastructure, but in those days the Government WAS Telstra, so it should technically be the Government's infrastructure. And they should allow all of the telcos access to it so that it can receive the attention that it needs.
There we go.

Lol @ Belkanor, so how much do you have invested in Telstra?

Nobody likes Telstra except Telstra people.

Don't even talk about International Roaming!! 3 didn't tell me it wasn't part of my cap, so ended up paying $400+ in phone calls/sms. Then they cut off my phone, so I had to find somewhere to get online to contact someone back here.

Depending on where you are going and how long for it's often best to get a sim card in the country you are in. It was much easier getting a sim card in Germany from a dude who barely spoke English than dealing with Optus. :mad: I think it was about 10 cents per sms and 30c a minute to call Australia, much cheaper than global roaming.

Depending on where you are going and how long for it's often best to get a sim card in the country you are in. It was much easier getting a sim card in Germany from a dude who barely spoke English than dealing with Optus. :mad: I think it was about 10 cents per sms and 30c a minute to call Australia, much cheaper than global roaming.

Yeah, if I had known that then that's what I would have done. I was kinda homesick and rang my friend about an hour, which cost me almost half the 400 :eek: and most of the texts were a result of Vietnam being mostly pubs...:p

I do kind of feel for telstra (and the shareholders) in that telstra has to service the whole country were their competitors only cover the profitable areas (thus eating into Telstra’s profits) and now people are complaining that telstra is dragging their feet so the people can use telstra infrastructure for free.....

The government should not have sold the basic infrastructure when telstra was floated - but they did and now telstra is left carrting the can.

I do kind of feel for telstra (and the shareholders) in that telstra has to service the whole country were their competitors only cover the profitable areas (thus eating into Telstra’s profits) and now people are complaining that telstra is dragging their feet so the people can use telstra infrastructure for free.....

The government should not have sold the basic infrastructure when telstra was floated - but they did and now telstra is left carrting the can.

Your understanding is as good as your typing. No one uses Telstra infrastructure for free. The ACCC has ruled on pricing for LSS and ULL. The fact that Telstra wants to abuse their monopoly powers and stamp their feet when they are not allowed is a sore point for them. Tough s**t, thats the rules that Telstra was sold under

Remove this Banner Ad

Back