Injury/Rehab Iliotibial band syndrome (ITB Syndrome)

Remove this Banner Ad

keyboard_warrior

Team Captain
Nov 7, 2008
cyberspace
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Jon bones Jones
So how would I fix this problem? Do you now think that I may not have ITB? And just have a muscle imbalance that is causing the pain in my knee ?

I think you prob have a muscle imbalance that has caused the itb syndrome/ lateral leg pain.

to fix it you need to work on glute activation at a low level eg hip hitching off a step (this should be monitored by someone who knows what they are doing tho as it is easy to compensate by flexing the trunk instead of moving the hip). youtube glute med activation exercises and im sure there will be heaps of exercises. just work on that and punish your ITB/TFL on a foam roller to start with. should help you out a bit i hope

true but if the weak muscle/s can't work in isolation they certainly won't work in integration so they need to be activated separately and then trained together

i persoanlly look for at least 10cms btw wall and feet for ankle mobility w/ absolutely NO pronation and pressure taken off the heel

yeah thats true on your first point but the single leg squat is just used as a screen in this stage then you find the problem and work on it from there. its pretty hard to give a decent diagnosis through a forum.

10cm is about right. i think the rule is around 12-15 for decent biomechanics through running but you can get away with 10. my point was its rare for someone to have such a restriction that they cant do a SL squat. if it was an issue tho just put them on a decline ramp and it takes away the ankle mobility issue anyway

TeamThatSavedAFL

Senior List
Sep 30, 2010
Australia
AFL Club
Geelong
Maybe it has been mentioned and I didn't see but thought it worth mentioning. If the ITBFS is caused by feet/gait issues then stretching/strengthening interventions may help treat the pain but not its root cause.

If feet are all sorted, leg lengths are equal and you're not bow legged. Then yeah, what the others have said - foam roller, massage, strengthen glute med & VMO.

keyboard_warrior

Team Captain
Nov 7, 2008
cyberspace
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Jon bones Jones
Maybe it has been mentioned and I didn't see but thought it worth mentioning. If the ITBFS is caused by feet/gait issues then stretching/strengthening interventions may help treat the pain but not its root cause.

If feet are all sorted, leg lengths are equal and you're not bow legged. Then yeah, what the others have said - foam roller, massage, strengthen glute med & VMO.

true mate but glute strength can help with feet issues. cant remember the authors but read a paper that had glut med strength reducing pronation by about 20-30%.

This in conjunction with peroneal strength can help too as they help actively support your arch. but definately feet need to be looked at.

swifty

Senior List
Jul 26, 2008
melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Ok so first game this week, Pain is still there but I can complete training sessions on tues & thurs. would you guys recommend heat (deep heat etc) to be applied before the game to warm it up? Will this cause more injury or more pain ? Or will this benefit me during the game, and after the game i can just ice it up again?

I am also ggoing for a deep tissue massage done tomorrow night, hopefully that helps a little.

Thanks

cptkirk

Premiership Player
Oct 6, 2009
st kilda east
AFL Club
Sydney
just a gif dose of foam rolling, quad/hip flexor stretching and glute activation prior to training and games should do the job and the same each day at home and attacking the glutes in the gym

Beamdogg

Club Legend
Jul 6, 2005
Shepp
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Leeds United
Just strengthen your glute med/min and loosen up your hip flexors and increase core stability.

See a physio on how to do this.

I also saw a chiro for some knee joint manipulation work. I havent had a problem in 4 months after having issues for 4 yrs.

swampy

Senior List
Sep 21, 2008
NYC
AFL Club
Hawthorn
i'm sure you've already tried something like this but i found certain stretches really helped my ITB issues (had excruciating pain on the outside of my left knee on any sort of incline/decline): http://runningtimes.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=6099

particularly stretch 3 worked wonders for me - really paying attention to this before starting any exercise. good luck and hope it works for you

Remove this Banner Ad

Back