I'm American and want to know more!

• Thread starter KateB
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None

Remove this Banner Ad

Oh, all you really need to know is that the mighty West Coast Eagles have been the premier team of the last decade, and will continue to be for the next ten years!
wink.gif

Seriously though, it's great to see the interest from overseas...

mention in your speech that the ESSENDON BOMBERS are the most widely supported team in the league and that they have by far the most loyal and dedicated supporters.(fact)
also mention that aussie rules has been around longer than gridiron.
:)

Most loyal and dedicated supporters?

They wouldn't be the same supporters who booed Paul Salmon off Waverley in 1995 would they.

Most loyal. What a bloody joke.

Originally posted by KateB:
I am doing a speech on your great sport and would appreciate any info or opionions that anyone has.

It is a sport that is enjoyed by all age groups and both sexes it is a great way to rid yourself of stress by screaming at the opposition it is a game that can have you high one minute and depressed the next but would not miss it for quids

All you really need to know is that Essendon is the greatst club. They have the most supporters, 15 premierships (16 after this year, which will be the most), they are the only club not to have changed theri jumper, and they play at the two best stadiums in the country.

Others will no doubt shoot me down, but that is typical jealousy. Essendon inspire more jealousy in opposition supporters, especially through glamour players like Jmaes Hird, and Matthew Lloyd than any other team.

Just listen to the responses !

People love to "try" and bag Essendon. As an Essendon fam, I LOVE this. I love the jealousy from other supporters towards the Essendon Football Club

Kate, i've gotta agree with dan24 and the est...essendon are the greatest club with the most loyal supporteres and players (very few players leave essendon of their own will)

Also keep in mind that they have the most members of any victorian club (32000 as of last check)

So if you're looking for a team to barrack for or do your speech on check out http://essendonfc.com.au

cheers
staggy

------------------
2000: year of the bomber

Also mention that altho Essendon have the won the second most flags in history, the team they trail, Carlscum, have an infamous history of simply buying flags.

What distinguishes AFL from other sports worldwide is its Female following 45% of AFL crowds are female in most other mens' sports 20% is considered high.

Two clubs have a majority of female members being 55% they are Sydney and Essendon

What a load of crap that Esendon are the best team in the league. Who has the most premierships, hmmmm Carlton does. Who continually chokes, hmmmmmm Essendon, you blew a premiership last year and you know it. Jealous of Matthew Lloyd, ummmm im not, im sure Cummings won the Coleman medal last year, and i also remember MacIntosh cleaned up Lloyd last year. Jealous of Hird, he never plays, when is he not injured. For your information the Adelaide teams and the Eagles have the most members in the country, who cares who has the most in Melbourne. Also if you want to go on premierships as the guide to the best team, lets have a look at ratios. Adelaide has 2 premierships in approximately ten years ie a premiership every 5 years, where as Essendon has 15 premierships from approximately 100 years, ie a premiership every 6.66 years. So how you class Essendon has the greatest really amazes me. Most fans, collingwood got 50 odd thousand on Monday, Essendon got 43000 and at a new stadium. Essendon I will admit are a good team, but are not the greatest team as you claim.

Well, well well.
Let’s tackle a few of your issues, mate.

- you cannot possibly be suggesting that the crows are a greater team than us. The crows have only been around for under 10 years. They may have won two premierships, but true success is measured over time. Talk to me in 90 years and we’ll see if the crows have 15 flags.

- Essendon have 32, 000 members (Vic’s highest) in a state which supports 10 teams. The eagles and crows have 40, 000 each in states that only support two teams. You don’t have to be a maths scholar to work that one out mate.

- As for crowds, collingwood got 50000 to a game on a public holiday, against another Melbourne team, who were playing their first home game at their new home ground. Essendon got 43000 to a game involving a four year old team from interstate on a Thursday night. Give me a break.

------------------
2000: year of the bomber

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kate,
go to australian football for newbies on my site. There are 3 articles on Australian Football for Newbies which you might be interested in. Otherwise go to http://www.afl.com.au and click on Inside the AFL.
There are 16 clubs in the AFL. 6 from outside Victoria, and 10 inside Victoria including 9 in Melbourne. Each state and territory has it's own smaller league.
The bigger AFL clubs have between 30,000 and 40,000 members.
I can give you more info if you want.

------------------
BFN TF2K.
http://go.to/totalfooty2000
http://members.xoom.com/Total_Footy

i find it funny that shinboner talks about 10000 empty seats at a bombers game. North can barely fill 10 000 let alone 43 000. For a team as successful as North, thats a kick in the teeth.
the only game they'd pull a crowd bigger than 50 000, is against essendon.

------------------
BOMBERS REIGN SUPREME.

Arch

The thing is, us North fans aren't claiming to have the most loyal and passionate supporters. We KNOW we have a small supporter base. It just strikes me as ironic to hear all you Essendon fans claiming the most fans who are always there through thick and thin and yet you couldn't fill your stadium. One would have thought that all the *loyal* fans would have wanted to be there for the very first game at your new home ground.

By the way, North vs Essendon attendences. In the first match between us last year, only about 30,000 turned up. In the rematch later in the year, it was 65,000 or so. Where were the *loyal, passionate and through thick and thin* Essendon fans in the first match then? Or didn't you guys really believe that you would do as well as you did?

Originally posted by KateB:
I am doing a speech on your great sport and would appreciate any info or opionions that anyone has.

Kate have you been to a game for a start.

If you have and the game was a good one then u can see for yourself what its all about
Here especially in Melbourne it is religion
Its a game where u can yell and scream every second because unlike alot of other games there isn't much start stop its full on
You can sit next to members of opposing teams and yell and scream without much trouble
Its fast spectacular exciting and skillful
We dont wear padding to play either

Hi Kate

As you can see from most of the responses above. AFL is a game that fills its supporters with pride, joy, anger, frustration, exhilaration, and excitement. I'm a member of the Carlton Football Club and am proud to say that I support what is probably the all-round most hated club in the competition - success breeds jealousy, and jealousy breeds hatred. I soak it up. It makes me support my team more. I respect my opposition, and the more they rubbish my team, the more I respect them as a supporter. It's a part of AFL. We call it being a one-eyed supporter. We all hate each other for supporting another team, but at the end of the day we can all agree on one thing - AFL IS THE GREATEST GAME ON EARTH.

Good onya bluegirl. Hate your guts and your team *GRIN* but love what you said, and the way you said it.

Yes, Kate, it is a religion, rather than a game. Probably nothing like it since the Colliseum was sold off, but, unlike some other codes, the incidence of hooliganism is low. Perhaps that's our greatest source of pride, regardless of which team we support.

Shinboners

What are you talking about ?

Last year in Round 2 Essendon and North drew 48,000 and then they dew 68,000 in Round 17.

You said they only drew 30,000 in Round 2.

You were wrong.

Round 2 crowds are always a bit down. It is the most anti-climatic round of the season (after the much anticipated Round 1), and it impossible to go into a Round 2 game HOT, becasue the best winning streak you can have is 1. Round 2 crowds are always disapointing. Have a look at the past 5 years.

As for the 43,000 that watched Essendon vs Port Adelaide. This is a record for a Ess v Power game. No other club will draw that many against them.

And as for that tool, that claims Adelaide are the most successful club becasue of their two GF wins in 9 years, here are a couple of points :

*Adelaide finished 4th and 5th the two years they won.

*Adelaide have only made the finals three time in their entire history. Pathetic.

*Adelaide have never won more than 13 home and away games. Their best ever win-loss record is 13-9.

*The have finished in double figure placing on the ladder 5 times in 9 years

* Their overall win-loss record in LESS than 50%

Now, I ask you, if a team has won LESS than half their games over their entire hostory, how, how can this team even THINK to claim they are the best.

Oh, so they won a couple of Grand Finals after being the 4th and 5th best teams of the year. Big deal.

Try winning a GF from top spot, and having a 60% win-loss record over your entire history (that is what Essendon has acheived)

Shinboner,

You might be interested to know that Essendon led the league in attendances in 1997, a year in which we finished 14th.

in 1998, when we only finished 8th in another disappointing year, we AGAIN led the league in total attendance. Now, I ask you.........were you aware of this ?

That's loyalty for you. Playing in front of a million supporters over the course of a season when you finisn low on the ladder is support that North Melbourne would be very envious of.

Last year, of course, Essendon was about 250,000 ahead of the nearest team, after we finished top

Shinboner- a word of advice..... NEVER make a factual error against Dan24. The guy has no life and will check everything you say........
wink.gif

Dan24- Have any of your posts been less than an essay yet?

Eagle Fan

Yeah, thanks for the advice.....I will keep that in mind.

Of course, he never did explain why the huge, massive, so loyal, through thick and thin, more popular than the Beatles, Elvis, and Jesus combined, we really should go down on our knees to praise them Essendon fans had 20,000 less fans in our first game against them last season.

Cheers

Hey Dickheads!!! Kate didn't ask about who was the "greatest" club, biased opinions or so forth. She asked for info about football! All I can is go to the OFFICIAL AFL SITE: www.afl.com.au I won't send in any biased comments about my team, because my team isn't the AFL, all 16 clubs are!

Shinboner,

What, do you expect 68,000 every time for a North vs Essendon game or something ???

Obviously, at Round 17 last year when it was 1 v 2 on the ladder, it is going to get a bigger crowd than in round 2. There are a lot of neutral supporters who would have attended that game too.

It doesn't matter how the Bombers are going, we get good crowds. It's true. Like I said, we led the league in total attendance in 1997, when we finished 14th !!! We can be down the bottom, and we will outdraw the other teams.

I don't like to embarass you, really I don't. But you have to get your facts right before you post, or I might have to do it to you again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back