I'm calling it early....

Remove this Banner Ad

golions

Team Captain
Jul 10, 2000
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I'm calling it early - in a couple of years, Australia will have a pace attack as good as the Windies greats of the 80s.

Pattinson, Cummins, Hazlewood, and one of Starc/George.

The only question is, if there's no clear choice for a spinner, do you play 5 bowlers? One line of thought is that with Pattinson looking like a solid batsman, he could basically play as an all rounder allowing a spinner to play as the 5th bowler. The other line of thought is that, the above attack will run through most batting line ups that a spinner won't be required.

Either way, I look forward to this thread being bumped in a couple of years.

Geez, there is a very long way to go before then mate.

Pattinson and Cummins, 3 tests between them and already better bowlers than Lillee and McGrath.

Aussies will be smashed by England next year both home and away.

Pattinson and Cummins may never get over the experience of Alistair Cook and Ian Bell scoring centuries at will against them.

Looooong way to go.

A bit like calling the GWS 5 time premiers.

Can't say if they will be as good as the Windies as yet, but my word, the young guys look bloody impressive. I have seen Pattinson and Cummins and both of them look class. If Aussies can put their act together in batting they will be invincible again which I don't want to happen lol :D

:D:D:D:D

3 Tests/1 Test/no Tests and 2 Tests/no Tests. A lot of water to go under the bridge before then.

its exciting, and I we can hope.

Pattinson looked awesome today and bowled without luck.

Siddle too was nudging 150 and bowling really well without luck.

I'd be happy with cummins, siddle and pattinson for the next 3/4 years.

Frankly if siddle bowled like that ever test, he'd be in the 26/27 range for bowling, not 31/32 range.

The problem is this is a hugely short sighted vision.

Just expecting players to be good.

Cricket Australia has the same attitude.

Unfortunately the current Australian Cricket team is a huge failure.

Expectation is great.

But, Show Me the Money.

The problem is this is a hugely short sighted vision.

Just expecting players to be good.

Cricket Australia has the same attitude.

Unfortunately the current Australian Cricket team is a huge failure.

Expectation is great.

But, Show Me the Money.

some of this is true.

assuming we can keep them on the park we will certainly have an attack capable of winning tests consistently against the best in the world i think. whether we will have a batting order capable of not losing tests consistently is more of an issue imo

My bad. Still the vibe I was getting after stands, less than 10 tests experience/exposure. A lot of water to go under the bridge yet.

For me George/Starc is a worry.
George is slow. I don't mean like McGrath 135kph med fast, more like 125 kph mediums. Not too many top class batsmen are going have sleepless nights over that.
Starc is raw. He is putty in CAs hands. Good thing they've got a good track record with fast bowlers :S

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Patto and Cummins look promising at this incredibly early stage and its exciting to think of what our pace battery could evolve into. But leave off the hyperbole saying they will reach Marshall/Holding/Ambrose territory.

If one these guys reaches the best of the Windies 80s l would be over the moon because it means they are the best pace bowler of all time :rolleyes:

lets not forget Brett Lee burst on to the scene and finished with a +30 test bowling average, bowling over 150 kph means jack all when u cant create wickets, I say 15 test is the perfect time to reflect on just how good they are gonna be !

I'll just be happy when Harris, Cummins and Watson comer back and join Pattinson. Admittedly we've only seen Cummins in one Test even if he looked a class above the other two he bowled with in that Test. time will still tell but I'm confident. Pattison, while just in his 3rd Test, has settled nicely and certainly looks the part. Certainly not just a one Test "wonder".

Watson probably seen his last Test as an opener, for now at least, with Warner and Cowans there. Mean we can bowl him more overs batting down the order.

lets not forget Brett Lee burst on to the scene and finished with a +30 test bowling average, bowling over 150 kph means jack all when u cant create wickets, I say 15 test is the perfect time to reflect on just how good they are gonna be !

Give Lee one thing, for all the expensive bowling he could create a wicket. Good one's at that. He was great at the start of his career, crappy in the middle where the average blew right out, and good again at the end, getting his average under 30, until injury caught up with him and kicked it back over 30. While he bowls on the short 4 and 10 over games he looks better now than any time in his career.

Cummins has played one Test. One. Can we all settle down a bit on him?

Word from CA is that Cummins stress fractures in his foot may be very serious.

No guarantees that he ever comes back to the game for long periods of time.

He played his first test under injections which was not a smart move as it has just made the matter worse.

Just playing devil's advocate yeah?

He's shown a lot tp like. Why do you have an issue with fans predicting big things for him?

Are you a kiwi?
I'm all for predicting big things for him. But he's played ONE Test. Let's not talk him up as the next Michael Holding. He'll come back, bowl about as well as you'd expect a talented 18 year old to bowl, but people will criticise him and call him rubbish because in their minds they'll have build him up into some kind of god.

You watch, by the time he comes back people will be talking about him bowling 160km/h inswinging yorkers. Absolutely no doubt he'll have a big future, but part of a pace attack as good as the WIndies in the 80s? Let's just settle down.

It's a pretty exciting group of players. Cummins, Pattinson, Hazlewood, Faulkner, Cutting all 24 or under and all very good bowlers who have a huge upside. They might not all kick on, I dont know, but it doesnt hurt us moving forward with such a group of bowlers.

it's the most exciting grouip of quick australian bowlers i've seen and sprearheaded by pattinson and cummins.

unfortunately in the modern day injuriesp lay a big part and you really can't predict them. and with cummins out at the moment.... well what do they say about best laid plans and all that sort of s**t....

but not just these lads. hazlewood and faulkner are potential guns, george is good, duffield is good... cutting belongs with hazlewood and fualkner.... but the big smokey for me is nathan coulter-nile... everything about watching him bowl makes me love him...

as good an attack as windies 80's?? hmmmmm that's getting a bit over board just yet...

if i was gonna back any of them in look at the saffers. in the last three months they've just unleashed the philanderer, who is off having sexual relations and missing the second sri lankan test ;) and now they've just pulled out de lange who looks every bit an absolute gun... don't forget steyn isn't ready to move into his 30's for another 2 years as well so they've got a long time to build together....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back