Im convinced about Vince

Remove this Banner Ad

bigman said:
Springy are you prepared to come on board or do you still need some convincing:p :p

Hey mate, don't expect any pride or bravado from my way. I'm more than happy to br proven wrong abvout an AFC player. Mind you I never said he wasn't going to make it. All I said was don't read too much into into his form in a PS trial against Port. Mind you, after Friday nights game, there's alot to get excited about. A few things that excite me about the kid:

1) Not afraid to throw his body over the ball,
2) Doesn't drop his head when going for a mark in traffic,
3) Seems to have abit of the natural X factor that can't be taught. Like MCLeod, Stiffy he seems to be able to do the freakish things that are instictive.
4) Good hands.

I'm very, very happy with our pick-up of Vince.

Everything he does is clean; no other way to describe it. Ok, maybe classy fits as well.

Bigman - and anyone else who saw him play last year - can he make it as a midfielder?

McLeod23 said:
I'm very, very happy with our pick-up of Vince.

Everything he does is clean; no other way to describe it. Ok, maybe classy fits as well.

Bigman - and anyone else who saw him play last year - can he make it as a midfielder?

He certainly could in time, but seems better suited at the moment to a wing or HFF, where his uncanny ability to read the play can be used to advantage.

Was super impressive Sat night. Looked a lot like welshy running around out there. Similar build and moved a lot like him plus the bleached hair. Ill take a ticket on the train he looks like he has it

Played better in his second game and will only improve with some more muscle and strength.

Can do the things that win games - that left foot snap that was nearly a goal.

That mark in the last quarter under great pressure.

Very good below knees.

Still needs to work on the defensive side of his game.

Bernie like Boogie Knights need to tackle better and put even more pressure on the defenders. A few times today Bernie was found wanting in these areas.

Craigy has publicly stated that he thinks Bernie is not ready - and you could see today why he thinks this is the case.

It would be no surprise then if he is one of the first players to be out of the team atm.

Skippy is the most at risk however. He is just not getting as much of the ball as others at the moment. I would suggest very few changes this week.

bigman said:
Played better in his second game and will only improve with some more muscle and strength.

Can do the things that win games - that left foot snap that was nearly a goal.

That mark in the last quarter under great pressure.

Very good below knees.

Still needs to work on the defensive side of his game.

Bernie like Boogie Knights need to tackle better and put even more pressure on the defenders. A few times today Bernie was found wanting in these areas.

Craigy has publicly stated that he thinks Bernie is not ready - and you could see today why he thinks this is the case.

It would be no surprise then if he is one of the first players to be out of the team atm.

Skippy is the most at risk however. He is just not getting as much of the ball as others at the moment. I would suggest very few changes this week.

Agree completely but you can see good glimpses of what Vince will be down the track.

Have said for for a season and a half that Skippy was gone - he will not improve on where he is currently whilst Vince, Knights and Porplyzia still have loads of improvement.

Interesting comment by Craig about Porplyzias agility?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was going to bump this thread but I see that it's already been done!

Bigman has a very good eye for talent. His support for guys like Knights, Danger, Vince etc isn't out of thin air - he's clearly seen and studied these players and knows what makes an AFL player.

Amazing to read the first post in this thread and see how spot on he was over four years ago.

Heh, some interesting older posts regarding Vince are around actually. Red faces to be had by more than a few people :p

Even one where Stiffy_18 said something like Vince would never get to be as good a player as Kerr. Give it another season at his current level and maybe that will need revising!

When you look over our list of youngsters, the rate of improvement in some of them has been amazing. I hope we can see the same improvement in "Young" Reilly, Douglas, Jacky and Pertrenko in 2010.

Good call Bigman but I would also like to to congratulate the much maligned James Fantasia who was battered from pillar to post for his drafting.
Picked up Bernie Vince with a second pick when many thought he would go latter,in hindsight turned out to be a master stroke of timing who has now now become a best and fairest.

Apart from Dangerfield he has drafted a list of forwards that are now going to serve us well, it just took game time to find the improvement.

Matt Rendell is now well on the way to filling in the final pieces.

Good call Bigman but I would also like to to congratulate the much maligned James Fantasia who was battered from pillar to post for his drafting.
Picked up Bernie Vince with a second pick when many thought he would go latter,in hindsight turned out to be a master stroke of timing who has now now become a best and fairest.

Apart from Dangerfield he has drafted a list of forwards that are now going to serve us well, it just took game time to find the improvement.

Matt Rendell is now well on the way to filling in the final pieces.

yes certainly a great get with hindsight :thumbsu: fantasias recruiting in the craig era is SIGNIFICANTLY better than under the ayres era. vb, maric, knights, griffin, douglas, vince, porps, sellar, tippett and mc kay are an excellent collective bunch for 2004-2006.

we were quoted as saying they wanted to take vince with a 3rd round pick but strong interest from st kilda (with the next pick in the nd) meant we had to use the 2nd round pick instead.

dangerfield was drafted by rendell in the 2007 draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Back