I'm dying out here!

Remove this Banner Ad

There's been something bugging me for years about a certain ex-player. I'll get to that problem later. The bloke in question is Mark Maclure. He was a big, blonde centre-half forward with an accurate kick who played in the 70's and 80's. He was pretty reliable and a regular goal kicker although I can't ever recall him kicking too many huge bags. It always seemed to me that once he had 3 or 4 he'd put the cue in the rack for the day and consider his work done.

He was around when the Blueboys were right into the party culture (but still managing to win flags) and would have been among the hardest party-goers along with Jimmy Buckley, Slav Perovic and WoW Jones.

I recall one day standing in the right scoreboard pocket at Princes Park with my dad in the early 80's sometime, listening to this effeminate, plaintive voice behind me continually moaning "Oh Mark, I love you Mark". Turned out to be a psychologically distressed fella who obviously had the hots for the big No 36. Dad and I looked about the near crowd as you do. Most thought it hilarious as the love-sick bloke kept on about his undying affection for Mark. So it seemed MM attracted both sexes - he certainly had a bit of a name as a hunk.

Since retiring he must have definitely had a sense of humour bypass operation going by his ABC Radio commentary. Today he comes across as dour, humourless and a bit of a bullying perfectionist. When commenting on a team's performance he gets extremely pissed off if things aren't carried out on the field just the way he thinks they should be. If a player shirks or makes a mistake he pillories the poor bloke mercilessly. I wonder if he developed this outlook during his time with the Swans?

Anyway, this has all been a very long way of asking the following question:

WHY THE **** IS HIS NICKNAME "SELLERS"?

I never remember him being called ' sellers ' Thylacine . I saw it mentioned in another thread as well . As a teenager around late 70s & early 80s , i thought he was a pretty good player although not our best . Didn,t sell the dummy in those days did he ?

Sorry, my mum can't be of any help. She used to call him 'Boxhead'

I think your up against it Thylacine . Tried looking it up in the Blueseum and in a book i have on all players since 1897 but there is no reference as to why he was called 'sellers' in either .:thumbsdown: now i'm curious , thanks .:rolleyes:

• Banned
I think your up against it Thylacine . Tried looking it up in the Blueseum and in a book i have on all players since 1897 but there is no reference as to why he was called 'sellers' in either .:thumbsdown: now i'm curious , thanks .:rolleyes:

That's why I think there might be something "socially suss" behind it, i.e. what Vinnie Cat is suggesting above.

I think it either had something to do with he had a cellar downstairs or he owned a cellar that sold alcohol...... OR to do with the drinking of alcohol that was done back in those days by himself & others......

But please do not quote me on this...... memory in old age is not the best..... lol

I reckon Mediumsizered might be your man here Thylacine. Funnily enough, i've wondered the same thing. How MM got that nickname.
"Sellars" as in Peter Sellars from the movie " The Party". This was on Grumpy old men a few years ago.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

"Sellars" as in Peter Sellars from the movie " The Party". This was on Grumpy old men a few years ago.

Heys thanks for that, Lenny. So it meant he just partied a lot or he did a good Indian impersonation ala "Birdy NumNum" or something else? Did he get the nickname on GOM or they spoke about it on the show? God, I'm persistently annoying.

Heys thanks for that, Lenny. So it meant he just partied a lot or he did a good Indian impersonation ala "Birdy NumNum" or something else? Did he get the nickname on GOM or they spoke about it on the show? God, I'm persistently annoying.

No worries mate,
They spoke about how he got the nickname. One of the players gave it to him - can't remember who.

No worries mate,
They spoke about how he got the nickname. One of the players gave it to him - can't remember who.

Something's been bugging me for years. Who was the player who gave Mark Maclure his nickname "Sellers". :D

r175869_668895.jpg

He certainly looks like the Pink Panther in this photo. :D

You beat me to it Lenny. I remember watching that episode of Grumpy Old Man & I must admit, for a show which was meant to be light-hearted & a little bit tongue-in-cheek, 'Sellars' Maclure really didn't get into the spirit of it.

Considering he was such a party animal during his playing days, his persona nowadays is a total contrast. I guess you wouldn't find him in the bar at the 'Blush & Stutter' (of course it is no longer called that) with Val Perovic these days on a week night.

Thanks for that Lenny. Would never have made that connection.

Okay, just so I can die peacefully, Mark Maclure was nicknamed "Sellers" by a team-mate because he was a party animal and Peter Sellers once starred in a film called "The Party". Correct?

so it would seem Thylacine , did you ever see the movie ?

Course. I had the hots for the French accented girl who Sellers mixes with. Think she might have been married to Andy Williams or some such thing. Personally I found Peter Sellers about as funny as Kouta's knee injury. Anyway as a final comment I have to say that "Sellers" is one deadset, overly cryptic, unfunny, obtuse, lamo nickname. That is all.

Course. I had the hots for the French accented girl who Sellers mixes with. Think she might have been married to Andy Williams or some such thing. Personally I found Peter Sellers about as funny as Kouta's knee injury. Anyway as a final comment I have to say that "Sellers" is one deadset, overly cryptic, unfunny, obtuse, lamo nickname. That is all.

Good player but.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back