Remove this Banner Ad

El_Scorcho

Hall of Famer
Aug 21, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Aston Villa, San Antonio Spurs
I'm an overwhelmingly positive person who can find positives in anything. I'm overwhelmingly positive about the quality of our list and believe it can win now, and should have been competing for the last half a decade. I am very wary of blaming individual players for what has been underperformance across the board bar Robbie Gray.

When we aren't even close, you start analysing why.

For what it's worth, if Janus decides to step away for his own sanity that's absolutely fine, but I've always said the board is weaker without him.

I think if an internet forum is having a negative influence on you in real life you probably do need to step away and examine the root cause there are bigger issues.

The internet is for pr0n and if that gets you down you have real problems

This is a common defence of the coaches by those few who still defend them, but it doesn't really cut it.

I believe Ken Hinkley has the best interests of the PAFC at heart. I don't think he's a bad coach on purpose. But I do think he's a bad coach. And I believe you have the best interests of the PAFC at heart too, but I think you've backed the wrong horse.
What kills me about Janus is that he/she doesn't have their own opinions. Every post is a justification of why things, being as they are, will turn in our favour. Everything is about how our gameplan is and how that will work and how Hinkley is a great coach for setting up this plan which will definitely start to work from now.... or now...... or now, rather than an opinion or critical analysis. And every piece of analysis just bends information in ridiculous ways to serve his/her confirmation bias. We know what our gameplan is we live it, and it keeps not getting results. It can be backed into the hilt like you said, but at the end of the day the results do not back it up. She could've been very right with all the daily predictions that have been horribly wrong, if Hinkley was actually a great coach, but he isn't. Years of failure and stats on his performance tell us that.

#sackhinkley

FWIW I don't even think Ken is a bad coach

#sackhinkley

I think Ken is a good coach, and he probably is at the top of his game. He took us from oblivion to being competitive, whether that was him or just good timing we'll never know, but since then we have a good program in place, good kids. We've made a couple SANFL GF's, etc. So the structure of the program seems good. We have maintained a spot on the fringes of the 8 in every year and threatened the top 4.

However.....

#sackhinkley

- He is not a GREAT coach. He's not an AMAZING coach. He's not a SUCCESSFUL coach. He oozes mediocrity. He accepts it, often talking excuses about hard draws, being unlucky, or a tough comp. All loser talk concepts, stemming from a near enough is good enough culture and a failure to get results.
- He has continually failed to extract the best out of players and/or develop them to the next level and there's an extremely large list of these players from Chad to Young, from Boak to Neade.
- He has never taken a top 4 list to the top 4, his gameplan while competitive has always had flaws that have been overlooked or not appropriately catered for by the coaches, yet exploited by our opposition.
- He has achieved finals victories in only 2 of 6 seasons, and likely to be 7 shortly.
- He has had all the tools available to him, good footy dept spend, great drafting, great trading and free agents, and still failed to improve performance.
- He overseen incredibly repetitive themes in all his years. Years we couldn't beat top sides, years we were horribly inconsistent (and blamed it on the juniors when it was the senior players), token comebacks, scoreless quarters, etc.
- He has overseen 7 years of failure in close games and an only just better than 50% win record at home.

#sackhinkley

Hinkley has ultimately done OK, but OK isn't a concept the Port Adelaide football club should accept. We're competitive, but we should be trying to be the best. It's time to stop accepting mediocrity and push for something more.

#sackhinkley

This club desperately needs the reinvigoration of a new coach, it has been incredibly obvious since 2017. Hinkley is not going to turn into a super coach and suddenly win us a flag. It is time to move on and reinvigorate the gameplan, players, club and the supporter base with renewed hope.

The super extension of Ken will go down as one of our clubs worst board decisions of all time. Stability equals success is a motto that will define KT & Koch's term, and also the lazy reactive mistake they made with re-signing Ken.

#sackhinkley

Last edited:
Who gives a fu** what some w***ers on a forum think of your opinions. Keep posting, who cares who agrees and who disagrees. If it pisses off the clique, good. Keep it up. There's probably more people reading that agree to some degree then those who agree with the s**t thrown at you on here.
Exactly I've been hearing it for years. Could not give a *. Hope Janus sticks around if we lose this week

I like our bunch of freaks on this board.

OneGreatClub should come back though. I love that he is such a positive nuffie who I didn’t interact with much and wondered why he posted half the s**t he did but he was completely inoffensive and just loves his Ports to pieces.

Janus, as you describe is a different beast who I still enjoyed but he desperately needs to learn the meaning of the word humility.

Put your hand up if you are wrong and cop it sweet. People tend to respect the fu** out of that sh*t.
I'd put my hand up. I normally do but unfortunately I've been right for years as we've been a joke of a club for a long time.

Port Adelaide has a problem with how it presented itself. It still does.

Too many people make excuses for poor commercial performance by saying we don’t have the advantages of Adelaide. But the flipside of that is, we don’t have the disadvantages of them either.

It all depends on the perspective of the people involved. We give the Crows s**t for their mailing list memberships, but it was those memberships that convinced Optus to come aboard, because in the absence of contrary data it proves that there are more Adelaide supporters than Port.

We should be selling our links to China much better than we are. Right now, when we have a young group coming though and Adelaide looks like falling of a cliff, is when we need to strike.

That’s why 2020 is a huge year.
This is a problem which permeates through every facet of the club. Instead of behaving like winners we behave like also rans. It affects everything we do.

It's why expectation management type language is so damaging. It affects the players, the supporters, the administration, everyone.

Dress like the club you want to be, not the club you are.

Koch declaring finals was the minimum acceptable standards was the closest we've gotten to this for years.

Back when i was young I thought clique was just the french way to write cliche and that they were the same thing.

tumblr_o6guj6iuh91uprixbo1_500.jpg

I'm an overwhelmingly positive person who can find positives in anything. I'm overwhelmingly positive about the quality of our list and believe it can win now, and should have been competing for the last half a decade. I am very wary of blaming individual players for what has been underperformance across the board bar Robbie Gray.

When we aren't even close, you start analysing why.

For what it's worth, if Janus decides to step away for his own sanity that's absolutely fine, but I've always said the board is weaker without him.

You think we aren’t even close. I look at the strength of our fixture and see it’s the fourth hardest in the league after Hawthorn, Western Bulldogs and North Melbourne in terms of the teams we’ve had to play twice, whereas teams like Brisbane, GWS and Geelong are in the six weakest double up opponents.

It’s because all the teams in the top eight have double ups against opponents that are clearly weaker than them at this point in time.

Brisbane has Gold Coast and Hawthorn (who only made top four on the strength of their weak fixture last year).

GWS has Gold Coast and Sydney.

Geelong has Sydney and Adelaide.

West Coast has Fremantle and Adelaide.

Adelaide has St Kilda and Gold Coast.

These teams were gifted four wins at the start of the season before a ball was even bounced. All they needed to do was split the other games at worst, and that’s 7 wins and halfway to finals.

We, on the other hand, have only won 2 out of our 8 games so far. We can go 4 out of 10.

After this year, you’ll find that we get the soft fixture to ensure at least one team from the South Australian market qualifies for finals. They went with Adelaide this year because they thought they would bounce back. But you can see it in the media narrative about Port Adelaide building something, which is what they were saying about Brisbane last year.

This place kills what we used to enjoy about football. Because we watch it not for the contest itself, but so we can be proven right on whatever agenda we are trying to push.

it's the opposite for me in that this place gives humour and life when the on- and off-field performance of our club is killing what i used to enjoy about football.

Call it negative, but it's mostly gallows humour and actually having a laugh (as well as being genuinely pissed off) when we predictably lose is preferable to delusions of 'yes but we will win soon' or 'we played ok in that game' (GWS game lol)

it's the opposite for me in that this place gives humour and life when the on- and off-field performance of our club is killing what i used to enjoy about football.

Call it negative, but it's mostly gallows humour and actually having a laugh (as well as being genuinely pi**ed off) when we predictably lose is preferable to delusions of 'yes but we will win soon' or 'we played ok in that game' (GWS game lol)

You can call it what you want - gallows humour, self-deprecation, whatever.

I call it a cop out from someone who wants to run with the foxes and the hounds. Predicting the team loses so you get the smug satisfaction of being right when it happens, coupled with the joy of an unexpected win that can be attributed to whatever the raison de jour is.

Unfortunately, that's what most of this forum is like now.

If you get enjoyment and 'life' from people acting that way and laughing at the club you all supposedly support, you are to be most pitied. We've got enough people making it hard for the team as it is. We don't need the weight of people who should be helping to elevate it pile on.

I think if an internet forum is having a negative influence on you in real life you probably do need to step away and examine the root cause there are bigger issues.

If you aren't affected by the emotions of others, regardless of the communication medium, you're the one who has the bigger problem. It means you're a psychopath. And I'm quite certain there's a few of them on here - all form of social media attract this personality type. Not heaps, but there's definitely one or two.

Psychopathic traits include a lack of empathy, guilt, conscience or remorse, with the requirement to experience intense emotional stimuli due to the fact that they have shallow experiences when it comes to regular emotions. Also displaying controlling behaviour - when they can't control a situation, say for instance if someone doesn't fall lock step into their own personal paradigm - they will always lash out.

Probably no one was shocked when scientists demonstrated that those who post hate-filled comments and intentionally rile people up online tend to have psychopathic tendencies.

"The research, conducted by Erin Buckels of the University of Manitoba and two colleagues, sought to directly investigate whether people who engage in trolling are characterized by personality traits that fall in the so-called Dark Tetrad," reports Slate. "It is hard to overplay the results: The study found correlations, sometimes quite significant, between these traits and trolling behaviour."

Also, there's this. This statement is about politics, but you can apply it to the ideologies of football:

"One interpretation is that psychopathic individuals are attracted to these topics because they revolve around issues of power, authority, and conflict that they might find particularly attractive," the study authors note. "In addition, these topics on social media are often rife with conflict and may provide a venue for aggressive online behaviors that psychopathic individuals are prone to engage in."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you aren't affected by the emotions of others, regardless of the communication medium, you're the one who has the bigger problem. It means you're a psychopath. And I'm quite certain there's a few of them on here - all form of social media attract this personality type. Not heaps, but there's definitely one or two.

Psychopathic traits include a lack of empathy, guilt, conscience or remorse, with the requirement to experience intense emotional stimuli due to the fact that they have shallow experiences when it comes to regular emotions. Also displaying controlling behaviour - when they can't control a situation, say for instance if someone doesn't fall lock step into their own personal paradigm - they will always lash out.
Everybody sing this song, doodah, doodah
Well everybody sing this song all the doodah day

the media narrative about Port Adelaide building something, which is what they were saying about Brisbane last year.
You have to demolish what's there to build something. The plans look ok but you have to get rid of the cockroach infestation first. We started building something in 2013 and it's fallen apart 3 times. Perhaps we need new builders.

You have to demolish what's there to build something. The plans look ok but you have to get rid of the cockroach infestation first. We started building something in 2013 and it's fallen apart 3 times. Perhaps we need new builders.

Maybe we do, and if that decision is made, then it will have my full support. But until that time, the builders we have the opportunity to lay down the framework. KT said it in his interview in the other thread - the recruitment process has changed with us bringing in players like Burton, Houston, Duursma, Butters, Byrne-Jones and Rozee who are all decent kicks of the football.

I still maintain that people really have no clue just how ****ed the club was in 2011/12. Our scouting program was virtually non existent, which is why we wasted so many picks. Since 2013, it's been a lot better.

Maybe we do, and if that decision is made, then it will have my full support. But until that time, the builders we have the opportunity to lay down the framework. KT said it in his interview in the other thread - the recruitment process has changed with us bringing in players like Burton, Houston, Duursma, Butters, Byrne-Jones and Rozee who are all decent kicks of the football.

I still maintain that people really have no clue just how f’ed the club was in 2011/12. Our scouting program was virtually non existent, which is why we wasted so many picks. Since 2013, it's been a lot better.
People are aware where we were at that point nobody here has a short memory. We have invested a lot on our football program and our recruiting and drafting has been a hell of a lot better yes but on field results says otherwise. One final in 5 years is not good enough.

For the record and I know I'm still somewhat new here, but I like having you here Janus. At best you're insightful and at worst you're entertaining.

Of course we all go back and forth and disagree sometimes. We all want the same thing but have different ideas of how to get there and how far off we are.

Example: Ken apologists support him because they think he will come good and win us our next flag. Ken haters say sack hinkley because they think a new coach is more likely to achieve that goal.

We all have far more things we agree on than disagree on.

For the record and I know I'm still somewhat new here, but I like having you here Janus. At best you're insightful and at worst you're entertaining.

Of course we all go back and forth and disagree sometimes. We all want the same thing but have different ideas of how to get there and how far off we are.

Example: Ken apologists support him because they think he will come good and win us our next flag. Ken haters say sack hinkley because they think a new coach is more likely to achieve that goal.

We all have far more things we agree on than disagree on.

I think that whoever coaches Port Adelaide will win a flag at the exact same time no matter who it is, because the list is very good and only going to get better with the additions of this years first round draft pick + Mead and next years first round draft pick + Schofield.

I've even started to like Bonner's game and think that Burton won't automatically come back into the side to replace him this year.

If you aren't affected by the emotions of others, regardless of the communication medium, you're the one who has the bigger problem. It means you're a psychopath. ...
Brilliant diagnosis Dr Janus. Once again you show how little you actually know while attempting to appear all knowledgeable.

Many people on the autism spectrum have impaired empathy. I'm sure they'll be happy to know that they are psychopaths.

I think that whoever coaches Port Adelaide will win a flag at the exact same time no matter who it is, because the list is very good and only going to get better with the additions of this years first round draft pick + Mead and next years first round draft pick + Schofield.

I've even started to like Bonner's game and think that Burton won't automatically come back into the side to replace him this year.

We agree on one thing - the list (or at least the potential of it) right now is exceptionally good.

Brilliant diagnosis Dr Janus. Once again you show how little you actually know while attempting to appear all knowledgeable.

Many people on the autism spectrum have impaired empathy. I'm sure they'll be happy to know that they are psychopaths.

You've got to have all the qualities I mentioned, not just impaired empathy. People with autism don't generally try to compensate for their lack of empathy with intense emotional stimulation - that would be the last thing a person with autism would want.

At any rate, people who suffer from psychopathy know their behaviour is morally wrong, they just don't care. People with autism are generally unaware that what they are doing is wrong and are doing it because of their condition. That's why people with ASD can get criminal convictions overturned due to a lack of mens rea.

You've got to have all the qualities I mentioned, not just impaired empathy. People with autism don't generally try to compensate for their lack of empathy with intense emotional stimulation - that would be the last thing a person with autism would want.

At any rate, people who suffer from psychopathy know their behaviour is morally wrong, they just don't care. People with autism are generally unaware that what they are doing is wrong and are doing it because of their condition. That's why people with ASD can get criminal convictions overturned due to a lack of mens rea.
I know you have to have other qualities but I quoted the first paragraph of your response to JimmyBeerCans and you said what you said and it is wrong. No mention of requiring additional qualities in that definitive statement.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back