im sorry but.... adam cooney is a d!@K He@&...

D Mitchell

Premiership Player
Jul 28, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray Football Club
Blasphemy, Blasphemy. Coons is a bad knee and bad managerial decision (move to Essendon ???) away from being a Club legend, right up there with...and God. Brownlow medalist, grab the ball, put on the clappers, nobody catches Coons. Spends all night at hospital with his sick step daughter then comes out and plays a blinder, kisses Gary Ablett on his bald pate at the Brownlow, even Ted Whitten wouldn't get away with that. Let's canonise him, right now, Australia's second Saint. He's St Coons.

What's the weather like in Athens ?

Last edited:

RedWhite&Blue

Premiership Player
Jul 21, 2005
Vic
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Yea he seemed to like himself a fair bit didn’t he. Arrogant and smartarse are the words I think describe Coons the best. He was great in his early years with us but his last 5 after he did his knee were pretty ordinary and he was one of the highest paid players at the club. We needed to discard the dead wood to get better and he was the definition of dead wood.
Interesting that Scott West says that Coons is the one who has no interest in getting back to the kennel as an ex player. Interesting but it does not surprise me one bit.

ringa5

CRAZY HORSE
Jun 1, 2009
goldcoast
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I think that for players that change clubs for one reason or another.Like Dempsey,Templeton,Hardie even Dougie Hawkins and now Coooooony.
We should make a bigger effort to let them know they will always be bulldog immortals.

Cooney, alienated himself from the club. He and Lake screwed the club over with contract negotiations and then walked anyway. Remember Cooney in the Hawthorn rooms when they won the flag, all emotional. I didn’t seem him showing much interest in 2016, in fact I think he actually said some pretty dismissive comments.

I have a bit of sympathy for him with his knee injury, cutting him down in his prime, ironically against Hawthorn in that qualifying final in 2008. His career was definitely cut short.

Aug 14, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
There was clearly some bad blood when he left. Whose fault that is is anyone’s guess.

I know some fairly ITK contributors to the club who said he and Lake were an ongoing problem the club wanted to excise, but keeping in mind how many left on bad terms in that era it might be the club was unreasonable or at fault itself.

I remember in Lake’s Open Mike, which was aired during the ‘16 finals series, he said he thought guys like Cooney had been hard done by and would find it hard to swallow if the Dogs won a flag any time soon (little did he know what was coming within the following fortnight).

Lake’s obviously not a great role model off field but he is also a multiple AA, 3 time premiership player and Norm Smith medallist. Might be more to it.

It’d be nice if past players (even troublemakers) came back to the club. Glad West said what he said, but I don’t bear Cooney any ill will. Essendon have probably been over-compensating with past players to make amends.

How dare a gun mid have his career threatened by being forced to ruck. Insanity. No wonder he wanted to go to Essendon.

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Maybe that's why Dunks wanted to go to Essendon...with Cooney as a ruck coach the sky would be the limit!

Back