I'm sorry I ever doubted Rhylee West...

Remove this Banner Ad

Every time I saw he touched it he was selfless. Been a big 360
180 😉

I notice he never smiles, a very serious young man. Really admire the way he has worked to improve himself and deliver what the coaches wanted from him. Scott was right - but he wasn’t then.

I haven't been very impressed with Beveridge's coaching and the match committee this season, but I think they got this one right. Different personalities respond to different ways, I think a bit of tough love is what he needed.

Something was off with him, his VFL performances weren't that impressive. He played selfishly, didn't use the ball well and he didn't have his fierce attack on the ball that he's well known for. In his last VFL game, he turned that around and now hasn't looked back in the AFL. Credit to West and the coaching staff for turning it around.

I haven't been very impressed with Beveridge's coaching and the match committee this season, but I think they got this one right. Different personalities respond to different ways, I think a bit of tough love is what he needed.

Something was off with him, his VFL performances weren't that impressive. He played selfishly, didn't use the ball well and he didn't have his fierce attack on the ball that he's well known for. In his last VFL game, he turned that around and now hasn't looked back in the AFL. Credit to West and the coaching staff for turning it around.

Have to respectfully disagree with this, sorry. West came in and was a star at VFL level from day dot. Last year he had some huge games rotating between midfield and forward, doing the dirty inside work and hitting the scoreboard. My only knock was a tendency to hold the ball too long at times, but in a similar vein to how Bont gets HTB - you take it since most times it means he finds the best option. The “selfish” tag seems to be entirely derived from one or two moments in the Richmond game last year and people parroting it ever since. Obviously a concept like “selfish” is subjective so there will be didagreements.

I’m not sure when exactly you are saying his he wasn’t attacking the ball, but it doesn’t accord with what I was seeing at VFL level over the last few years. Or the numbers really, he had 33 and 11 tackles Rd 2 of the VFL, before spending a couple of weeks with more time stationed forward (perhaps foreshadowing his AFL role). Based on what I saw, and the numbers if you like, I don’t see any basis for the idea that he suddenly became a different player half way through this year.

I really think he was just hung, drawn and quartered on this forum over one poor AFL game and many were ignoring the AFL level attributes he’s always had.

Have to respectfully disagree with this, sorry. West came in and was a star at VFL level from day dot. Last year he had some huge games rotating between midfield and forward, doing the dirty inside work and hitting the scoreboard. My only knock was a tendency to hold the ball too long at times, but in a similar vein to how Bont gets HTB - you take it since most times it means he finds the best option. The “selfish” tag seems to be entirely derived from one or two moments in the Richmond game last year and people parroting it ever since. Obviously a concept like “selfish” is subjective so there will be didagreements.

I’m not sure when exactly you are saying his he wasn’t attacking the ball, but it doesn’t accord with what I was seeing at VFL level over the last few years. Or the numbers really, he had 33 and 11 tackles Rd 2 of the VFL, before spending a couple of weeks with more time stationed forward (perhaps foreshadowing his AFL role). Based on what I saw, and the numbers if you like, I don’t see any basis for the idea that he suddenly became a different player half way through this year.

I really think he was just hung, drawn and quartered on this forum over one poor AFL game and many were ignoring the AFL level attributes he’s always had.

I think there’s a fair bit of overrating of Riley’s performances this season.

If you look at the statistical data, which is what you’ve used to push the case for him to have been selected more over the last 12-18 months, his output is on par with Robbie McCombs. Their numbers are pretty much identical, except that McComb has had more impact fwd of centre with more goals, goal assists and score involvements.

Riley’s playing well and has cemented his spot in the side and contributing to our good form. He probably also has a higher ceiling than McComb. But, when considering one player is rated so poorly that some think he isn’t good enough to be on an AFL list and the other is being hailed as a future gun and Libba’s heir apparent, with both players having almost identical onfield output, is the rating of West accurate? And more so, does this reflect yours and others opinions he should’ve been getting regular games earlier than what he has?

Adding, West has been in the AFL system for 5 years, McComb for 1.

Last edited:
I think there’s a fair bit of overrating of Riley’s performances this season.

If you look at the statistical data, which is what you’ve used to push the case for him to have been selected more over the last 12-18 months, his output is on par with Robbie McCombs. Their numbers are pretty much identical, except that McComb has had more impact fwd of centre with more goals, goal assists and score involvements.

Riley’s playing well and has cemented his spot in the side and contributing to our good form. He probably also has a higher ceiling than McComb. But, when considering one player is rated so poorly that some think he isn’t good enough to be on an AFL list and the other is being hailed as a future gun and Libba’s heir apparent, with both players having almost identical onfield output, is the rating of West accurate? And more so, does this reflect yours and others opinions he should’ve been getting regular games earlier than what he has?

Adding, West has been in the AFL system for 5 years, McComb for 1.

Ugh. I couldn't care less about a pointless West v McComb argument. Happy for both of them.

I was talking about this year, I hardly saw anything of him last year or watched much footy in general apart from later on in the season. The reason why I say he is selfish is because his eyes often light up in front of goal when there's other options. This isn't just one game, I've seen him do it on a number of occasions. The holding the ball is another one. Perhaps that one is a bit unfair, but I think he had a far too much arrogance. He's now a lot smarter when to take the game on or when to release it.

As for attacking the ball, I never said he wasn't attacking the ball. I said he didn't have the fierce attack on the ball he's known for. And I thought it was particularly noticeable when in the forward line. To me he didn't really look like he wanted to be playing forward or he never really bought into the role he had to play to get into the AFL side.

However, I thought in his last game he did turn it around and I said as much in that game below.

I didn't think West deserved to come into the side from what I've seen of him previously. I think he did on that performance. Thought he used the ball much smarter and got the ball into dangerous areas of the ground. He looked a lot more hungrier and switched on today.

I think I've been pretty balanced on my opinions of West to be honest and I do think he had the talent to be in the 22 which I've also stated. Not sure he had the right attitude and I think the coaches were right on this one.

Last edited:
I was talking about this year, I hardly saw anything of him last year or watched much footy in general apart from later on in the season. The reason why I say he is selfish is because his eyes often light up in front of goal when there's other options. This isn't just one game, I've seen him do it on a number of occasions. The holding the ball is another one. Perhaps that one is a bit unfair, but I think he had a far too much arrogance. He's now a lot smarter when to take the game on or when to release it.

As for attacking the ball, I never said he wasn't attacking the ball. I said he didn't have the fierce attack on the ball he's known for. And I thought it was particularly noticeable when in the forward line. To me he didn't really look like he wanted to be playing forward or he never really bought into the role he had to play to get into the AFL side.

However, I thought in his last game he did turn it around and I said as much in that game below.

I think I've been pretty balanced on my opinions of West to be honest and I do think he had the talent to be in the 22 which I've also stated. Not sure he had the right attitude and I think the coaches were right on this one.

Tough gig as a small forward, hand off and you’re not taking responsibility, take the shot and you’re selfish. Happy to agree to disagree about his perceived attitude/attack on the ball this year. Maybe one of those things where beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our future forward line will be ridiculously good. Naughton, JUH, Schache, Weightman and West are all a few years off their peak. And Bedendo (who has real X factor) to join them…

Didn’t he play badly in that final against GWS?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back