I'm sorry I ever doubted Rhylee West...

Remove this Banner Ad

Dogsbestfriend

Team Captain
Mar 2, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I like that when he takes a mark he has the confidence to play on immediately and looks to kick it to the attacking part in the centre of inside 50.

Most of our players and players from other teams take too much time to kick it forward allowing defenders to get numbers back so then it has to be kicked inside 50 defensively towards the boundary pocket which is probably team rules to keep the ball in but makes scoring harder.

Westy backs himself and seems to believe in his skills and decision making probably why he has so many score involvements.

This automatically catches defenders off guard and our forwards lead instinctively and mark it in better positions.

Also he and Schache seem to have a good connection most likely from developing together in the VFL.

Overall he’s already become a damaging player.

Sep 22, 2008
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I’m starting to think he stays forward of the ball - he’s just so so dangerous there. His vision and ball use is absolute gold, there’s not many that can turn a 70-30 against contest into not only a win but then a shot on goal through his hands & vision in a congested forward line. This trait is worth it’s weight in gold.

He’s a beast in the air too, he should be targeting 2 and 15-20 per week, that’s worth more than 30 touches in the guts imo, his ball use is at its best in the forward half. He really is our answer to Toby Greene tbh, has added a whole new dimension to our forward line, when you’ve got Cody and West as your main smalls you have a hell of a lot of avenues to goal

Palace03

Club Legend
Jan 2, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Crystal Palace, Victory
The contested mark on the wing, play on and left foot pass to Naughton on the half time siren, showed a skill set I didn't think Westy had. Very very capable forward, generates shots at goal for himself and teammates. Weightman and West as the smalls with Naughts, Bruce and Jamarra could be some forward line. One live wire Kossie style small forward away from a complete forward line.

Sep 22, 2008
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
The contested mark on the wing, play on and left foot pass to Naughton on the half time siren, showed a skill set I didn't think Westy had. Very very capable forward, generates shots at goal for himself and teammates. Weightman and West as the smalls with Naughts, Bruce and Jamarra could be some forward line. One live wire Kossie style small forward away from a complete forward line.
JJ! JJ was great on friday, was so silky and showed what we’ve been missing - was one of our best even when we were poor, made things happen.

Naughty, Bruce, Jamarra, West, Cody, JJ is the starting 6 we need to aim for - there’s some serious ability in that, when you throw in the likes of Bont, Dunks, Treloar & Adzy coming through

Charlie Bucket

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 16, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Don't think it will give him much of a headache. It's pretty clear cut. They have invested in him, he has obviously worked really hard to improve his game and now he is starting to reap the rewards. Need to stick with him, give him another contract and see how far he can go. The West name needs to stay at Whitten Oval.

His contract renewal will be anything but clear cut imo.

You can guarantee, up until a few back at least, the West clan would have been planning his future away from the dogs. If Scott was unhappy a year or so ago, how do you think he’s been since then when Riley’s mostly been playing twos? That will still be front and centre in his management/families thoughts.

I reckon it could get messy.

Palace03

Club Legend
Jan 2, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Crystal Palace, Victory
Will be JJ this year at least, was really good Friday night :thumbsu:
JJ! JJ was great on friday, was so silky and showed what we’ve been missing - was one of our best even when we were poor, made things happen.

Naughty, Bruce, Jamarra, West, Cody, JJ is the starting 6 we need to aim for - there’s some serious ability in that, when you throw in the likes of Bont, Dunks, Treloar & Adzy coming through

l
His contract renewal will be anything but clear cut imo.

You can guarantee, up until a few back at least, the West clan would have been planning his future away from the dogs. If Scott was unhappy a year or so ago, how do you think he’s been since then when Riley’s mostly been playing twos? That will still be front and centre in his management/families thoughts.

I reckon it could get messy.
You reckon without the Eyes of Sam Power. o_O

Charlie Bucket

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 16, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
l

You reckon without the Eyes of Sam Power. o_O

From a list managment perspective it’ll be clear cut. Powers proven himself to be one of the best in that regard. Even with West probably adding another $100k to his worth after last nights performance.

I just think we’ll face some difficulty from their end and it won’t be as straight forward as some are suggesting.

Al dente

All Australian
Sep 11, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
West's output has been a long way behind his ambition.
That gap is now closing.
Hopefully he becomes one of the highlights of 2022.

1:10-ish - he's had a few of these now where he just rips the ball out of oppo hands with determination and strength.

Libba-esque. I think as Libba winds down, West will be able to do an apprenticeship in that midfield role.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bald

Premium Gold
Apr 5, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Boston Celtics
He reminds me a lot of young Luke Dahlhaus to be honest.

footscray1973

Premiership Player
May 17, 2004
Pepperland
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
He reminds me a lot of young Luke Dahlhaus to be honest.
Nothing against Dahlhaus in his early years, his pressure and attack on the ball and defenders was great, but Rhylee West has better disposal. Also West has a stronger build, and looks ready to at least rotate through midfield sooner rather than later, where Dahlhaus was great as a small pressure forward in his early years, but never really a genuine midfield rotation option.

weltschmerz

Brownlow Medallist
May 23, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Nothing against Dahlhaus in his early years, his pressure and attack on the ball and defenders was great, but Rhylee West has better disposal. Also West has a stronger build, and looks ready to at least rotate through midfield sooner rather than later, where Dahlhaus was great as a small pressure forward in his early years, but never really a genuine midfield rotation option.

Westy's built like a brick. Seems to have good strength through the hips which is great for breaking tackles.

footscray1973

Premiership Player
May 17, 2004
Pepperland
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
Westy's built like a brick. Seems to have good strength through the hips which is great for breaking tackles.
Yep, unlike Lipinski, West will force his way into midfield rotation, and as others have said, will eventually most likely assume Liber's inside role, or at the least share it with him as a transition.

Yep, unlike Lipinski, West will force his way into midfield rotation, and as others have said, will eventually most likely assume Liber's inside role, or at the least share it with him as a transition.

West or Lipinski? I know it wasn't necessarily one or the other but with our stacked midfield neither were getting a look-in. We wanted to keep Lippi (we offered him a contract) but we weren't able to offer the role and opportunities he wanted. West was in a similar position until a few weeks ago.

I like Lipinski - seems a nice kid - and I wish him well but he's pretty close to his ceiling already. However I should add that he is playing more productive footy at Collingwood than he ever played for us.

From what we've seen the last couple of weeks West has a higher ceiling and is more the type we need. Right now we need West as a high pressure forward who can kick multiple goals. In a few years we'll need him to fill Libba's role. Libba is the oldest of our gun midfielders and there's always the concern over his knees.

Lipinski is an elite kick which is always valuable, West is not quite as good but still OK with his kicking. Both have good vision and close to elite handball. Neither is quick but West is more physical and aggressive - he has that unmeasurable extra quality of fierce competitiveness.

Lipinski is nearly 24. West is nearly 22. Despite West being 6cm shorter he has already taken more CMs than Lipinski in 52 fewer games. Doesn't seem to spill many. That adds a different dimension to his game. West has surprised me with his contested and lead-out marking, which makes him dangerous in the f50.

It's not often that Lipinski kicks multiple goals. He has kicked 3 goals only once in his 70 games and that was four years ago. West has kicked 3 only once as well (in 18 games) but he could easily have had 5 on Friday and he has certainly looked a constant threat in recent games.

Sorry to see Lippi leave but happy we have retained West. Let's get his contract extension sorted, Sam!

footscray1973

Premiership Player
May 17, 2004
Pepperland
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
West or Lipinski? I know it wasn't necessarily one or the other but with our stacked midfield neither were getting a look-in. We wanted to keep Lippi (we offered him a contract) but we weren't able to offer the role and opportunities he wanted. West was in a similar position until a few weeks ago.

I like Lipinski - seems a nice kid - and I wish him well but he's pretty close to his ceiling already. However I should add that he is playing more productive footy at Collingwood than he ever played for us.

From what we've seen the last couple of weeks West has a higher ceiling and is more the type we need. Right now we need West as a high pressure forward who can kick multiple goals. In a few years we'll need him to fill Libba's role. Libba is the oldest of our gun midfielders and there's always the concern over his knees.

Lipinski is an elite kick which is always valuable, West is not quite as good but still OK with his kicking. Both have good vision and close to elite handball. Neither is quick but West is more physical and aggressive - he has that unmeasurable extra quality of fierce competitiveness.

Lipinski is nearly 24. West is nearly 22. Despite West being 6cm shorter he has already taken more CMs than Lipinski in 52 fewer games. Doesn't seem to spill many. That adds a different dimension to his game. West has surprised me with his contested and lead-out marking, which makes him dangerous in the f50.

It's not often that Lipinski kicks multiple goals. He has kicked 3 goals only once in his 70 games and that was four years ago. West has kicked 3 only once as well (in 18 games) but he could easily have had 5 on Friday and he has certainly looked a constant threat in recent games.

Sorry to see Lippi leave but happy we have retained West. Let's get his contract extension sorted, Sam!
Thanks dogwatch, you've captured much of my extended thoughts.

I liked Lipi too, but agree on exposed form at this stage West has a higher ceiling and more variety to his skills. West's contested advantage will also stand up better under finals pressure.

Put the ball on the ground or in the air and tell West and Lipinski to fight for it. Who wins??

West was a bit of a victim of Bevo's Bingo but I think he has bided is time and earned a spot in his team. His old man talking s**t only hurt him.
You surely don't really think Scott West getting on Twitter and criticising Bevo and using Schache as an example hurt Rhylee's chances of playing last year?

Rhylee has come on leaps and bounds this year and thoroughly deserves his spot in the team. Last year he was a fringe player at best.

Kudos to Rhylee - hard work pays off and it's a real testament to his character. 👍

Back