Strategy I'm the guy who tried to run for the board, ask me anything

Remove this Banner Ad

Mr question is what is the club scared of and fearful of happening other than the obvious?
We preach gender equality and inclusiveness at all levels at the football club but when it comes to the board, nah sorry piss off?
This current board are the biggest air raiders and bullshit artist we have seen.
Aylett and Duff we saw coming as you knew their perogative.
I have no idea what this current boards goals and plans are and it’s definitely not our fifth flag.

Kimbo

Cancelled
Veteran 10k Posts
Dec 14, 2002
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Sturt, Liverpool
I know everyone is looking to vent, but aren’t all clubs run the same way? Why is this news?
In our case, the first instance of the 'independent' panel being used, and the result of this process suggesting it wasn't used as it should be used? Indeed, that it is being used to protect a boys club culture and approach, versus the democracy we thought 2007 would give us?

It's not unlike the administration telling us NMFC will always have an HQ at Arden St therefore no need for a games limit for Tassie.

Winterlong

Rookie
Jul 5, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I don't think a single person looking to be involved in the board should or needed to have had pre-planned answers to any or all of those things. They would firstly be there for their own skills and experience.

Doubt that any of the incumbents and recent past members had to prepare a dossier answering any of these questions. They'd have all been picked out for their skillsets and/or connections.
Funnily enough, I was asked to provide my election statement to the nominations committee before the meeting. I didn't think it was appropriate that my candidacy be judged based on the arguments I wanted to make, so I provided a letter that was part CV, part biography.

Dec 27, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
They have not

So there going with the ‘say nothing and hope it goes away’ approach. Need to stay loud.

If nothing else you’ve exposed their bogus committee that vets candidates. To me it seems the committee is just a group of names but don’t actually do anything.

In my opinion, it seems the only way to get a spot on the board is to be selected by the board.

Even when the elections are held, the letters are sent out way too late for people to vote unless they can get to the meeting. Hardly democratic.

Sideburns Ahern

Team Captain
Apr 6, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
In our case, the first instance of the 'independent' panel being used, and the result of this process suggesting it wasn't used as it should be used? Indeed, that it is being used to protect a boys club culture and approach, versus the democracy we thought 2007 would give us?

It's not unlike the administration telling us NMFC will always have an HQ at Arden St therefore no need for a games limit for Tassie.

Also doesn't bode well that the rumoured football department independent review will turn up any finding other than to stay the course.

Winterlong

Rookie
Jul 5, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
So there going with the ‘say nothing and hope it goes away’ approach. Need to stay loud.

If nothing else you’ve exposed their bogus committee that vets candidates. To me it seems the committee is just a group of names but don’t actually do anything.

In my opinion, it seems the only way to get a spot on the board is to be selected by the board.

Even when the elections are held, the letters are sent out way too late for people to vote unless they can get to the meeting. Hardly democratic.
The club did not mail out the call for nominations. It was visible on the nmfc.com.au front page for less than 24 hours and was apparently in the Herald Sun but I can't confirm that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The club did not mail out the call for nominations. It was visible on the nmfc.com.au front page for less than 24 hours and was apparently in the Herald Sun but I can't confirm that.

Yeah. We know what JZ & Sam Wright had for breakfast and Boomer's hotel organisational technique from 5 years ago but the club for some reason can't communicate elections via email and website notices in a timely and appropriate fashion. There have been communist country elections with more integrity than this process.

Aug 15, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
That to me rang a lot of bells. Speaks of secrecy and concealment. No nominations means no problems with outsiders. North has been a club of outsiders forever. This behaviour is anathema to our history.

El Triggso

Foremost authority and leading expert
Sep 26, 2013
Club cafe
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Greetings James,

Well done for raising an important point. The Board should most certainly not be a closed shop.

Conversely, however, I don’t know that I could criticise the club without being privy to the bio you shared with the club.

The company referenced in your letter to Ben was registered with ASIC only in August 2018, and I can’t see your bio on LinkedIn under James Wangmann. Your Argent Elections website seems to have said “full website coming soon” since December 2015. Finally, Google only brings up your name as the returning officer for a handful of Uni student council elections.

Apologies for being somewhat direct, but presumably you presented some much stronger credentials than what is publicly available?

Greetings James,

Well done for raising an important point. The Board should most certainly not be a closed shop.

Conversely, however, I don’t know that I could criticise the club without being privy to the bio you shared with the club.

You certainly can and I would. Whether he is an appropriate candidate or not the process for vetting that candidate should be open, transparent and with clear parameters outlined to all prospective candidates. A process that says, you failed, bad luck is completely undemocratic. I don't need to see James' bio to know that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back