Strategy I'm the guy who tried to run for the board, ask me anything

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
I knew this would be the end result of the proposal to require anyone who'd want to challenge the boys club by running against them.

View attachment 674728

You people seriously ****ed up on the watch whilst I was away meditating.

I am disappointed in ALL of you.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Shintemaster, we are in violent agreement about the ‘process’. But Mr Wangmann’s credentials are absolutely relevant. He claims to be shocked he was rejected.

I want to (try to) understand if this was a sloppy management process to reach the right outcome, or more scandalously, did we reject a credentialed guy who wasn’t one of the boys?

The fact that he can be rejected is the issue.

Absolutely farcical.

If this were an isolated incident, I would find it deeply concerning.

But this is not an isolated incident, is it?

The motion to cap the number of games played in Tassie was kyboshed. Why?

In other threads on this forum, we've read of long-term members, some of them paying huge $$$, being treated like dogshit.

The clowns running the club can't even get right basic stuff like sending out membership packs in time.

I don't know who this Wangmann dude is, I want to know what he brings to the table, he could easily be a clown, too.

But guess what? I don't know what ANY of the people on current board bring to the table, and I know for a fact they are currently running a circus.

If this is not longer a member-based club, that's fine, just be honest about it.

If I'm going to support a ***en franchise I'd rather spend my money supporting one which wins more often than it loses.

And I'm sure certain other stakeholders and parties would like to know that this is no longer a member-based club.

ASIC, or the ACNC, or a group like this, perhaps.

It is a member based club, if we choose out of ignorance or apathy to allow the board to do whatever it wants to do then it is the fault of members for allowing it and members would have the power to force the issue to be raised at an AGM or EGM and rectified if it wasn't operating within what was expected. We have the power to spill the entire board if members so choose.

I think James missed the question as to has he currently or had in the past any business relationships with De Rauch, if he had, it would not be surprising if the club would reject a candidate they thought was a proxy for De Rauch.

I don't think Peter or friends should be barred from running for the board, that should ultimately be for the members to choose as long as they know it has the potential to recreate the board drama we had in the past. I do not think the committee should be seen as a mechanism to just choose which candidates go up for election or protect existing board members, it should just be a mechanism for weeding our candidates that shouldn't be running for any director role. Would the criteria they have used to block James also have blocked previous board members like James Brayshaw in the past had this committee been in place back then? As we have seen, sometimes the obvious candidates aren't always the best candidates. Despite JB's limitations, it was his heart being in the right place as someone who loved the club that was critical to ensure we survived a troubling time, do we have a flawed candidate of JB's ilk sitting on the board?

I think we should have very clear and transparent criteria for who are eligible and who are not, I don't think we can afford to give the board the freedom to safeguard their positions by preventing potential rivals from being on a ballot.

mouncey2franklin

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 16, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
We have the power to spill the entire board if members so choose.
It would seem that we don't even have the power to run for a spot on the board, dude.

That is the the very problem which Wangmann has brought to our attention.

Nobody is ever 'spilling the board'. It's like saying, 'you could just join the ALP or the Libs and change from within'.

Technically true, but laughable in the real world.

The ability to at least run for the board gives us a legitimate and practical method for sharing our opinions with the broader membership base.

Even if you run and don't get up, at least you got to explain why you thought your vision was worthy of taking the time to run.

Now, we can't even RUN for the board.

Are you ******* kidding me?

Pykie

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life North Melbourne - North 2007 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
Whilst dodging the questions around his company registration and work history hasn't gone unnoticed, I don't think it ultimately maters, it's the principal of the situation in an organization such as our clubs nomination and election process.

Can some people also please get off their high horses in regards to the applicant.

The club recorded a turnover of $41m last year.

Now I know most on here come from vastly different walks of life and experience, however from someone who dwells in fairly large private business, $41m is a tadpole in relative business terms. It doesn't and shouldn't require a person of exceptional business experience to qualify to run for a board position of a company of that size.

Let stop pretending for a minute that he has nominated for the board of BHP.

I wonder if people would have an issue with Winterlong running for the board of the RSPCA of Victoria with an annual turnover of $38m? I wouldn't of thought so.

Our current board members:

Ben Buckley - "Stood down" from the CEO of the Football Federation of Australia, Worked in Senior Management for Foxtel, COO of the AFL, Nike and EA Sports. Currently is executive director of a management consultancy firm in Sydney. Interestingly he was appointed Director of Marketing of Nike Japan 18 months after his football career finished despite having no tertiary background in this field. Something slightly fishy there. I would of thought living near and being available to the football club at all times would be paramount to the charter for potential candidates of the board, just quietly....... We aren't talking about being the Chairman of Sony or Disney here.

Carl Delina - Managing director essentially elected CEO from his previous position on the board of directors. Not great.

Paul Dwyer - Founder and group managing director of of PSC Insurance. Turnover of approx. $81m.

Julie Laycock - Head of Marketing for 7-Eleven Australia.

Brady Scanlon - ....

Brian Walsh - Managing Director of Bastian Reputation Management. Former Journo and senior AFL communications officer. Running a company owed by Fergus Watts, a notrious AFL boys club buisness with the like of Simon Garlic, Hamish McLaughlin involved. Turnover of around $21m.

As much as I love the man and he certainly brings different things to the table, but Glenn Archer spent 15 years kicking the ball around the field whilst most on here were running or growing business'. Being a director of Stride Sport and Kobe entertainment is hardly earth shattering stuff.

Now this isn't really a post about laying the boot into the current board, but the above group of people and the organisation they are overseeing are in absolutely no position to be "deciding" who is and isn't appropriate to run for a democratically elected clubs board such as ours. Not a single one of them strikes me as absolutely irreplacible and I think a decent chunk would fail their own selection process if not pushed through via close personal contacts. I'd be interested if someone from overseas or interstate ran for the board with the intention of not moving to Victoria how that would be viewed by the vetting committee..........

I don't think it's a coincidence that half the board are from a communications and marketing background and the other half specialize in corporate governance. This situation has been completely engineered with the sole intention of exactly what they've demonstrated over the last few months.

It's extremely worrying for future issues like Tasmania etc.

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
It would seem that we don't even have the power to run for a spot on the board, dude.

That is the the very problem which Wangmann has brought to our attention.

Nobody is ever 'spilling the board'. It's like saying, 'you could just join the ALP or the Libs and change from within'.

Technically true, but laughable in the real world.

The ability to at least run for the board gives us a legitimate and practical method for sharing our opinions with the broader membership base.

Even if you run and don't get up, at least you got to explain why you thought your vision was worthy of taking the time to run.

Now, we can't even RUN for the board.

Are you ******* kidding me?

I was wrong about you. Apologies.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
I am calling for an alternative ticket which shall from this day forward be referred to as "The Crutchy Push"!

1558003669560.png

deano28

Club Legend
May 21, 2008
melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
melbourne victory , aussie cricket
Whilst dodging the questions around his company registration and work history hasn't gone unnoticed, I don't think it ultimately maters, it's the principal of the situation in an organization such as our clubs nomination and election process.

Can some people also please get off their high horses in regards to the applicant.

The club recorded a turnover of $41m last year.

Now I know most on here come from vastly different walks of life and experience, however from someone who dwells in fairly large private business, $41m is a tadpole in relative business terms. It doesn't and shouldn't require a person of exceptional business experience to qualify to run for a board position of a company of that size.

Let stop pretending for a minute that he has nominated for the board of BHP.

I wonder if people would have an issue with Winterlong running for the board of the RSPCA of Victoria with an annual turnover of $38m? I wouldn't of thought so.

Our current board members:

Ben Buckley - "Stood down" from the CEO of the Football Federation of Australia, Worked in Senior Management for Foxtel, COO of the AFL, Nike and EA Sports. Currently is executive director of a management consultancy firm in Sydney. Interestingly he was appointed Director of Marketing of Nike Japan 18 months after his football career finished despite having no tertiary background in this field. Something slightly fishy there. I would of thought living near and being available to the football club at all times would be paramount to the charter for potential candidates of the board, just quietly....... We aren't talking about being the Chairman of Sony or Disney here.

Carl Delina - Managing director essentially elected CEO from his previous position on the board of directors. Not great.

Paul Dwyer - Founder and group managing director of of PSC Insurance. Turnover of approx. $81m.

Julie Laycock - Head of Marketing for 7-Eleven Australia.

Brady Scanlon - ....

Brian Walsh - Managing Director of Bastian Reputation Management. Former Journo and senior AFL communications officer. Running a company owed by Fergus Watts, a notrious AFL boys club buisness with the like of Simon Garlic, Hamish McLaughlin involved. Turnover of around $21m.

As much as I love the man and he certainly brings different things to the table, but Glenn Archer spent 15 years kicking the ball around the field whilst most on here were running or growing business'. Being a director of Stride Sport and Kobe entertainment is hardly earth shattering stuff.

Now this isn't really a post about laying the boot into the current board, but the above group of people and the organisation they are overseeing are in absolutely no position to be "deciding" who is and isn't appropriate to run for a democratically elected clubs board such as ours. Not a single one of them strikes me as absolutely irreplacible and I think a decent chunk would fail their own selection process if not pushed through via close personal contacts. I'd be interested if someone from overseas or interstate ran for the board with the intention of not moving to Victoria how that would be viewed by the vetting committee..........

I don't think it's a coincidence that half the board are from a communications and marketing background and the other half specialize in corporate governance. This situation has been completely engineered with the sole intention of exactly what they've demonstrated over the last few months.

It's extremely worrying for future issues like Tasmania etc.
Very well said Pykie , this is a good old fashion Coup D’etat that the club has engineered over its constituents.

Back