News Impact of COVID-19 on season 2020 and beyond

Remove this Banner Ad

WA's numbers since the first spike and over the last 4 days are encouraging. No exponential growth, just a steady linear growth. If we can get another week of linear growth you'd be comfortable we might have some grasp on it over here with current measures - BIG if though.

I wouldnt be opposed to a total compete lockdown for a month - we could really stop it and move towards a opening up the local economy

Thank fu** we turned away from those cruises unlike the muppets over east

25/3 - 30
24/3 - 35
23/3 - 20
22/3 - 30
21/3 -26
I don’t trust the numbers because the testing criteria is too narrow and doesn’t allow for community transmissions to be accurately reflected. Then there’s the other part of my brain that says if there is more widespread infection why is the death rate so low?

Now I’m worried that these cruise ships off the coast are going to be stranded in WA waters and COVID will spread on-board. We will be obligated to provide medical assistance to critically ill passengers and our system will be overrun with foreigners before community transmission even starts to accelerate.

Like others on here, I am entitled to share my thoughts and concerns. I was merely refuting the notion that just letting it run its course is the way to go as it only kills a small percentage of the population. That may well be true but the collateral damage to others in the health system is what this is talking about. I am not suggesting Belkinor is an idiot but rather he is perhaps misinformed or did not consider all aspects of his proposition. Take a look at the thread of posts and form your own opinion

As for the Chinese curve, that was likely to be much more predictable because of the eventually extreme action to isolate millions of people. That has not happened anywhere in the Western world and the scenario described in this piece has played out in Italy and is now unfolding in the US and Spain and probably the UK soon as well.
Yeah, not going to labour the point GoFreo4eva, we are all entitled to have and share our opinions. It was really just the tone of your post, which suggested Belnakor "didn't get it, and this is what really happens". We don't know yet what will really happen, and as I said, I have seen really credible research suggesting that this thing will not be as bad as we think and really credible research saying it is a 12 - 18 month scenario.

Point is, we just can't say "this will happen" - I suspect it will be a case of "not as bad or as good as we think it is".

Anyway, that's just my two cents' worth - all good.

WA's numbers since the first spike and over the last 4 days are encouraging. No exponential growth, just a steady linear growth. If we can get another week of linear growth you'd be comfortable we might have some grasp on it over here with current measures - BIG if though.

I wouldnt be opposed to a total compete lockdown for a month - we could really stop it and move towards a opening up the local economy

25/3 - 30
24/3 - 35
23/3 - 20
22/3 - 30
21/3 -26

Additionally almost 25% of those cases have come off cruise ships.

Now I’m worried that these cruise ships off the coast are going to be stranded in WA waters and COVID will spread on-board. We will be obligated to provide medical assistance to critically ill passengers and our system will be overrun with foreigners before community transmission even starts to accelerate.

Yep, these cruise ships need to be moved on ASAP. Use the military if necessary. Neither the Artania or Magnifica were even supposed to come anywhere near Fremantle ... up the east coast of Oz, then head west below Indonesia/Singapore and on towards India. Doesn't sound very nice, but Australians should come first.

Wikipedia tells me the MSC Magnifica cost $547 million to build and is due for a 140 million Euro upgrade in 12 months. My mind is blown.

That’s a mighty interesting thought. Can you elaborate?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I’m generalising here but the older people in the states are more likely to vote and they’re more likely to be religious and conservative and vote Republican. Republicans are also more embracing of the notion of maintaining their ‘freedoms’, which means fighting against the virus that threatens those freedoms by maintaining their lifestyles. This has been in the news recently. There is also a conservative push at the moment to end social isolation. However, they are also more likely to be able to afford healthcare. Personally I think the states will cop it worse than anywhere else, so it’ll be interesting, albeit in a macabre sort of way.

25/3 - 30
24/3 - 35
23/3 - 20
22/3 - 30
21/3 -26

On the 22/3/20 WA had 120 CV-19 recorded cases....I was reading some where that the magical number for the doubling rate of cases is 6 days or more.

Yeah, I agree - everything in that post is possible. But unless this guy has access to a crystal ball I don't think we should be posting stuff up and saying "this is what will really happen" and treating another poster as an idiot because maybe he read a different article. I have a family member who sends me stuff about how this is a Chinese plot to drive the share market down and buy up all the cheap assets in the world, and I can't convince him it's not true because he read it on the internet.

My point is, maybe we could all cool our jets in terms of saying what WILL happen and discuss civilly the possible outcomes, and more importantly what we can do to help each other and the country out.

I recently read a very authoritative article from a leading data scientist who predicted the Chinese curve when practically everyone thought it would just keep going up. He is suggesting that this is closer to a three month issue than a lot of the current forecasts. I'm not going to post it because it is just another opinion, but I don't honestly believe anyone knows what will happen - every country is just trying to deal with it as best they can.

Blah blah blah, people like you are always going to say 'see that wasnt so bad, I told you.' Not realising that the measures put in place are inspired by those who believe in the expecting a worst case scenario.
People like you were doing at the foreshore having bbqs with mates on the weekend increasing the risk for everyone.

Blah blah blah, people like you are always going to say 'see that wasnt so bad, I told you.' Not realising that the measures put in place are inspired by those who believe in the expecting a worst case scenario.
People like you were doing at the foreshore having bbqs with mates on the weekend increasing the risk for everyone.
I have followed every directive from the government to the letter and will continue to do so.

"People like you"? You know nothing about me.

Last edited by a moderator:
raffrox I wasn’t following the question/comment trail as I haven’t been on here much lately but there’s different categories for procedures, category 3 has been effectively stopped

F81BA9CC-C303-499D-9892-DC74D73945EB.png

With 1 and 2 still happening at our hospital

These cancellations are due to limited resources (PPE) as we aren’t able to resupply due to the reserve being saved for COVID patients and inability to import

All chemo/immunotherapy is still happening even patients on non-MBS treatment as well as mastectomies etc

Edit: just saw this has pretty much been explained my bad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

raffrox I wasn’t following the question/comment trail as I haven’t been on here much lately but there’s different categories for procedures, category 3 has been effectively stopped

View attachment 846852

These cancellations are due to limited resources (PPE) as we aren’t able to resupply due to the reserve being saved for COVID patients and inability to import

All chemo/immunotherapy is still happening even patients on non-MBS treatment as well as mastectomies etc

Appreciate another source of info from someone close to it.

Announcement for today
Time restrictions on hairdressers lifted. WTF
If it wasn't so sad or would be hilarious.
It’s ludicrous. Our team at work have a dial in teleconference every morning and yesterday all the girls were talking about their emergency hairdresser appointments they have booked. I mean who the * are they trying to look good for? I was speechless.

Meanwhile, my pregnant wife and I have done everything bar weld the front door shut and do not intend to leave the house except for scheduled antenatal appointments. The gov needs to lock down everything to protect society from their dumb, ignorant, entitled selves.

Go fu** yourself mate. I have followed every directive from the government to the letter and will continue to do so.

"People like you"? You know nothing about me.
Good. Just shut the * up with your it 'isn't that bad' Facebook pseudo science horse s**t. Dumb *s with your * attitude got us here in the first place.

Announcement for today
Time restrictions on hairdressers lifted. WTF
If it wasn't so sad or would be hilarious.
The people who were complaining that the 30 minute time restriction were sexist are the same people complaining now that the time restriction was lifted :rolleyes:

It’s ludicrous. Our team at work have a dial in teleconference every morning and yesterday all the girls were talking about their emergency hairdresser appointments they have booked. I mean who the fu** are they trying to look good for? I was speechless.

Meanwhile, my pregnant wife and I have done everything bar weld the front door shut and do not intend to leave the house except for scheduled antenatal appointments. The gov needs to lock down everything to protect society from their dumb, ignorant, entitled selves.
I think the point was more that 30 minutes was such an arbitrary time limit. Hairdressers should either be open (with social distancing and hygiene standards followed) or shut. Right now they are open - and soon they will be shut.

The people who were complaining that the 30 minute time restriction were sexist are the same people complaining now that the time restriction was lifted :rolleyes:
You'll see the same phenomenon when schools are eventually closed. Mothers will realise that they preferred it what their ratbags were at school, and not destroying their house.

My mother is a teacher, and she noted that a couple of the more troublesome kids have magically returned to school after being kept at home for a couple of days.

You'll see the same phenomenon when schools are eventually closed. Mothers will realise that they preferred it what their ratbags were at school, and not destroying their house.

My mother is a teacher, and she noted that a couple of the more troublesome kids have magically returned to school after being kept at home for a couple of days.
I think that says more about parenting skills..

Generalising negatively with assumptions doesn't help a situation like this at all. Although I get the superiority feel goods in saying "see these idiots, I'm not like them", but we're all prone to logical errors, particularly in emotional times like these. Best to focus on the specific actions that are useful or not and to debate those on observable evidence.

As was pointed out to my son who is a schoolteacher
At the minute he has a full class of 30 kids, if he dies from the virus 10 can come to his funeral, if he marries 4 can come to the wedding, if he goes to a boot camp whatever the hell that is 10 can come, if he sees one of his students in the mall or street he has to be 2 metres away from them.
Its ludicrous.

View attachment 846852

Thanks G Mus

Remove this Banner Ad

Back