News Impact of COVID-19 on season 2020 and beyond

Remove this Banner Ad

Season over.

Aside from all the bullshit coming out of Victoria, the Qld teams playing their entire season at home is the biggest load of compromised s**t I’ve seen from the AFL. Can’t blame the Qld teams, but all this crap = season over.

“Windfall”??? For whom? FMD.

Season over.

Aside from all the bullshit coming out of Victoria, the Qld teams playing their entire season at home is the biggest load of compromised sh*t I’ve seen from the AFL. Can’t blame the Qld teams, but all this crap = season over.

I think they're going to get sent to a hub in NSW, rather than staying on in Queensland.

TBH I'm not too fussed about Cotchin whinging. If Richmond players are worried about missing their kids being born they have every right to sit out the hub. The bigger concerns I have is:

1. If the AFL cave into that. If Richmond can't get their full list together they should be sent to the hub without those players and I'm fine with that. If the AFL sets up a Victorian hub to help them out it'll be really hypocritical.

2. How Richmond and other clubs possibly having key players sit out impacts the draft. If Richmond collapse by going to a hub without important players it'll be concerning if they're rewarded with a high draft pick, while clubs that retain their players get higher finishes and lower picks as a return.

Season over.

Aside from all the bullshit coming out of Victoria, the Qld teams playing their entire season at home is the biggest load of compromised sh*t I’ve seen from the AFL. Can’t blame the Qld teams, but all this crap = season over.

Oh well, it's compromised but I would only be annoyed if we were contending. If we can get games into our younger players especially last years draft picks, Longmuir can experiment with less pressure on him given the circumstances, we can let our injured players recover properly (Hamling & Pearce) and get them ready for next season rather than trying to rush them back for games or finals in a normal season, our members end up still getting to watch 7 games at home and at the end of it we will probably have a top 5 draft pick.

Considering the circumstances I think we come out of this year pretty well.

On the other hand teams contending (or meant to be contending) or teams that banked on themselves being successful and traded future picks would be spewing about this season.

2. How Richmond and other clubs possibly having key players sit out impacts the draft. If Richmond collapse by going to a hub without important players it'll be concerning if they're rewarded with a high draft pick, while clubs that retain their players get higher finishes and lower picks as a return.

Hit them with draft penalties, something similar to how our points deficit works. Not sure how you come up with a number, but maybe something per player per game. I guess they could just invent an "injury" though. Probably too many grey areas now that I think about it ... e.g. if they win the game(s) when players sit out.

I think players not going to the hub in exceptional circumstances is reasonable - baby just about to be born. Pregnant wife with serious complications, dying parent etc. these are reasons and when you narrow it down to individual circumstances, I doubt most people would object to Cotchin's stance. But the reluctant vibe he's giving off, and the lack of grace about four other clubs having already don't this is a load of crap. Sounds like he has a high school reunion or his kids friends birthday party to attend, so couldn't possibly go. 🙄 "Other challenges and things going on in their life"... spare me.

Hit them with draft penalties, something similar to how our points deficit works. Not sure how you come up with a number, but maybe something per player per game. I guess they could just invent an "injury" though.

They've already set the standard for governance failures which is what this would be be. $2M fine, officially finish ninth and banned from the first 2 rounds of draft.

THE AFL has slapped Essendon with the biggest penalty in the game's history, kicking the Bombers out of the finals and handing them a $2 million fine for the club's governance failures last season.

The Dons will officially finish the season in ninth place.

After two days locked in talks at AFL House, AFL Commission chairman Mike Fitzpatrick announced the punishments on Tuesday.

The Dons have been banned from the first two rounds of this year's NAB AFL Draft. They will also lose picks in the first two rounds of the 2014 draft for their part in bringing the game into disrepute for the supplements scandal that has overshadowed this season.

Hit them with draft penalties, something similar to how our points deficit works. Not sure how you come up with a number, but maybe something per player per game. I guess they could just invent an "injury" though. Probably too many grey areas now that I think about it ... e.g. if they win the game(s) when players sit out.

Would have to be a club penalty for tanking. Give them the tanking title and make them fork over cash and start next year in a points deficit unless they have a legit exceptional reason to stay.

Oh well, it's compromised but I would only be annoyed if we were contending. If we can get games into our younger players especially last years draft picks, Longmuir can experiment with less pressure on him given the circumstances, we can let our injured players recover properly (Hamling & Pearce) and get them ready for next season rather than trying to rush them back for games or finals in a normal season, our members end up still getting to watch 7 games at home and at the end of it we will probably have a top 5 draft pick.

On the other hand teams contending (or meant to be contending) or teams that banked on themselves being successful and traded future picks would be spewing about this season.

I would also add that I love how the players and club went about the hub mentally. Sure we haven't won a game yet but we have been competitive in all games bar maybe the Port game but even then that was just one quarter.

In my opinion the playing group deciding to treat the hub as a business trip and as tempting as it might've been, to all decide to not bring any family or partners and instead bond as a playing group is a really good sign. From the outside looking in I get the feel of a united and driven playing group who want the club to succeed, albeit one that is young and inexperienced and will have ups and downs along the way.

Cotchin is such a precious isn't he? I don't think I've disliked a player more than him. You have a job Trent, do it.

AFL players, for me, are Prima Donnas. They play 22 games a year, every second game they fly. NBA play 82 games and are travelling 5 days a week at times.
MLB players aren’t getting paid much more then AFL, with only their elite players on max contracts. They play 161 games and sacrifice significantly in order to play the sport they love.

AFL is far from a national comp. Richmond haven’t left MCG in 25 rounds now. They last played away against Gold Coast last season, before playing 9 straight at MCG. Tigers players are the last players that can complain

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AFL players, for me, are Prima Donnas. They play 22 games a year, every second game they fly. NBA play 82 games and are travelling 5 days a week at times.
MLB players aren’t getting paid much more then AFL, with only their elite players on max contracts. They play 161 games and sacrifice significantly in order to play the sport they love.

AFL is far from a national comp. Richmond haven’t left MCG in 25 rounds now. They last played away against Gold Coast last season, before playing 9 straight at MCG. Tigers players are the last players that can complain

Do you mean MLS (minus the 161 games bit). The minimum MLB salary is about 800k (AUD). The average is 6.5 million (AUD).

But yes, I agree that AFL players are prima donnas.

Ha. Richmond players should be the last to even complain. Last played Gold Coast as their away game more then a year ago.
Play at most 5-6 games away. 22 games of the year.
Whereas other sports have 30+ games with every second week away.

Do you mean MLS (minus the 161 games bit). The minimum MLB salary is about 800k (AUD). The average is 6.5 million (AUD).

But yes, I agree that AFL players are prima donnas.
Yeah, baseball. 800k for 161 games. Where if you hurt your arm or any injury, contract is voided and on the free agent list.

Now that I have had my rant, I'll explain.

Obviously, no one has an issue with players staying behind for the birth of a child etc but there is no way there is no more than 10 / 15 players (and that's being generous) across all Vic teams with significant issues preventing them from heading over into a hub. From the 4 clubs currently in a hub - 1 was going to stay back for personel reasons (Schofield), but he went in the end. It's not worth mentioning without an agenda behind it

Trent Cotchin is the long term captain of one of the biggest clubs in the AFL, he has had media training out his arse and know's what he is doing.

The non-hypocritical response is to say "yeah we are looking forward to it, we might have 1 or 2 stay back for a bit since they are expecting a baby soon but the team will play anywhere"

If one or more players make individual decisions not to go into an interstate hub because of their family sitution that is a perfectly reasonable decision for those individuals to make.

If they are key players the only club they really hurt is their own, not only in the short term by missing those games, but in the long term as well. Sustained success in the AFL is bloody difficult and while the Tiges might be the current premiers there is no guarantee that a poor season this year will magically right itself when everything returns to normal next year.

Richmond and the Eagles are the two clubs that seem to have been most put-out by the hubs. They are only impacting on their own premiership chances, not anyone else's.

Whoever wins the flag this year will have an AFL premiership. That will be in the book and no-one will care that the fixture had to be re-written. Just like no-one cares that the Eagles won a flag with some of its team undoubtedly on drugs. And no-one cares that Sampi got scragged in the dying seconds of the Sydny premiership. No-one cares that Libratore kicked a goal that was given as a point and that was the difference between Adelaide making a Grand Final that they won or losing a Prelimary Final to Footscray. Once its done, its done.

If one or more players make individual decisions not to go into an interstate hub because of their family sitution that is a perfectly reasonable decision for those individuals to make.

If they are key players the only club they really hurt is their own, not only in the short term by missing those games, but in the long term as well. Sustained success in the AFL is bloody difficult and while the Tiges might be the current premiers there is no guarantee that a poor season this year will magically right itself when everything returns to normal next year.

Richmond and the Eagles are the two clubs that seem to have been most put-out by the hubs. They are only impacting on their own premiership chances, not anyone else's.

Whoever wins the flag this year will have an AFL premiership. That will be in the book and no-one will care that the fixture had to be re-written. Just like no-one cares that the Eagles won a flag with some of its team undoubtedly on drugs. And no-one cares that Sampi got scragged in the dying seconds of the Sydny premiership. No-one cares that Libratore kicked a goal that was given as a point and that was the difference between Adelaide making a Grand Final that they won or losing a Prelimary Final to Footscray. Once its done, its done.

If the winner ends up winning from a hub it will be known as the hardest won flag in AFL history. If we play eight games in a row at Optus and make the finals, win through to a grand final and win it will be because we spent two months at home in a hub and discount the achievement.

If the winner ends up winning from a hub it will be known as the hardest won flag in AFL history. If we play eight games in a row at Optus and make the finals, win through to a grand final and win it will be because we spent two months at home in a hub and discount the achievement.

Was thinking the same thing. Anything's possible. The manure of our Qld hub may well be replaced by the beautiful rose of 10 home games to end the season. We should still be aiming for finals. Come home with a wet sail. Bulldogs circa 2016 etc etc. The dream is still alive!!

True dat :)

After round 5 Freo will have 9 Melbourne clubs, the 2 Sydney sides and WC to play.
Probably play GWS in Brisbane.
The 9 Melbourne and WC games under present conditions would be played in Perth
Sydney in NSW.
Would that be right?
The other scenario would be playing a couple of the Vic sides in Adelaide.

well some do that to Richmond because of their run of MCG games in the 2nd half of last year.

But most do not care in the slightest and criticise those who do as wringers

Remove this Banner Ad

Back