News Impact of COVID-19 on season 2020 and beyond

Remove this Banner Ad

I’ve wondered that, we need a private owner. WAFC have often placed us as 2nd most important.

Private ownership comes with its own problem, needs to be in the right hands.
I'd expect it to be around asset value + $20,000,000 at this point.

The immediate injection of money into the WAFL might dig them out of a hole but I expect it will disappear fairly quickly - perhaps with the building of another WAFC owned ground that they will then pressure WCE to play at.

I’ve wondered that, we need a private owner. WAFC have often placed us as 2nd most important.

Luc longley and Rove should sit down to discuss. Good mix of Australian sporting royalty and entertainment producer

I'd expect it to be around asset value + $20,000,000 at this point.

The immediate injection of money into the WAFL might dig them out of a hole but I expect it will disappear fairly quickly - perhaps with the building of another WAFC owned ground that they will then pressure WCE to play at.

How long is the contract at Optus for?

Maybe more likely: a cashed up WAFC buys a majority share in the WACA and, over the course of a decade or so, the the majority of WAFL games are played there. Or they convince Vincent to sell them a lease on Leederville Oval.

I think we will one day see private ownership of an AFL club in WA, but I think it is more likely to be WA#3 with the proceeds of the sale going east to support some new AFL project (perhaps cash for WA#3 will underwrite Tasmania?)

How long is the contract at Optus for?

Maybe more likely: a cashed up WAFC buys a majority share in the WACA and, over the course of a decade or so, the the majority of WAFL games are played there. Or they convince Vincent to sell them a lease on Leederville Oval.

I think we will one day see private ownership of an AFL club in WA, but I think it is more likely to be WA#3 with the proceeds of the sale going east to support some new AFL project (perhaps cash for WA#3 will underwrite Tasmania?)
The WACA can't be bought; lease terms.

I don't know how long the agreement is to play at Optus.

There is planning for an events train station at the HBF Arena in Joondalup, they could put their $100,000,000 into buying and developing that facility into a 30,000 seat stadium - then send West Coast to play there against lesser drawing interstate sides, mostly as a threat so that the arrangement for Optus is far more commercially viable when they pack that ground out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hope Freo doesn't have any medical emergencies in the hub. Queensland hospitals are for Queenslanders only according to the Premier (despite the rest of us helping to pay for them).

GF in Brizzy, Adelaide fall back.
Wet Toast to get 1 final in Perth, but will have to play at Adelaide Oval if they make Prelim

Last edited:

in the entire sporting landscape, how many private owners do good? reality is most people with even 40 million to buy a footy club got that money because they're sly *ers.

private ownership would be a blight on the game and would be absolutely crushing for the football club.

Fremantle can appoint their own CEO, football departments, coaches... Fremantle is also one of the stronger clubs in the country and pretty financially sound. any issues aren't at the blame of the WA footy Commission.

I don't know how long the agreement is to play at Optus.

There is planning for an events train station at the HBF Arena in Joondalup, they could put their $100,000,000 into buying and developing that facility into a 30,000 seat stadium - then send West Coast to play there against lesser drawing interstate sides, mostly as a threat so that the arrangement for Optus is far more commercially viable when they pack that ground out.
West Coast are nae chance of moving from Optus Oval.

how often do they dip below 40,000?

this isn't Victoria where people just want to see historical clubs against one another, then watch it at home when it's Fremantle, Port, or the Suns.

Eagles fans are the sort of people to get more excited about an inevitable flogging.

they have pretty consistent numbers.

Arena Joondalup is just insane for any club that isn't based out of the northern expanses of quasi-Perth. it'll always be a second rung ground. in my opinion it's ludicrous how often it's patronised as a mandated pre-season venue. in fact, the next oval should be a 10-20,000 WACA then boutique rejigs of Freo Oval, Leederville, and tidy ups of EFO and Bassendean.

in the entire sporting landscape, how many private owners do good? reality is most people with even 40 million to buy a footy club got that money because they're sly f***ers.

private ownership would be a blight on the game and would be absolutely crushing for the football club.

Fremantle can appoint their own CEO, football departments, coaches... Fremantle is also one of the stronger clubs in the country and pretty financially sound. any issues aren't at the blame of the WA footy Commission.
Robert Kraft at the New England Patriots has seemed to do OK.

Or, don't have one person/family having ownership. Have the club owned by a private not-for-proft company with rules limiting how many shares any one person can own. Like the Green Bay Packers.

Interesting to see how pre season training will pan out with Melbourne in lockdown until at least Xmas. Will the Vic clubs stay in hubs . Will pre season start late , with a late start to the season as a follow on.

Interesting to see how pre season training will pan out with Melbourne in lockdown until at least Xmas. Will the Vic clubs stay in hubs . Will pre season start late , with a late start to the season as a follow on.
There is 0 chance Melbourne will still be in lockdown in 4 months. Back in lockdown due to a third wave, possibly. Even then they might just wear it. Extending a state of emergency does not necessarily equate to a extending a lockdown. We are still in a state of emergency in WA and we have effectively been unrestricted for 10 weeks.

I expect in that situation the AFL will apply the fairness rule, similar to what happened earlier this year, and prevent interstate clubs from training in any manner that may give them an advantage over Victorian clubs.........It’s only fair.

Robert Kraft at the New England Patriots has seemed to do OK.

Or, don't have one person/family having ownership. Have the club owned by a private not-for-proft company with rules limiting how many shares any one person can own. Like the Green Bay Packers.
one example.

wanna look at Newcastle United, Arsenal, Leeds United 15 years ago? Bolton Wanderers, Charlton... Malaga!

I was thinking about this earlier, given their are no games on, surely in pre-season everyone can train as a group with no restrictions, then a month or so out from the pre-season matches, everyone gets tested and go back to restricted group training if required.

Think its vital for us we can train as a group if we are any chance to fix that forwardline connection

Remove this Banner Ad

Back