News Impact of COVID-19 on season 2020 and beyond

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 4, 2004
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
China, japan, Singapore, hong kong, Taiwan, South Korea. All countries renowned for people being respectful to each other & obeying the rule of law (most democratic)
All seem to be managing the curve well after iffy starts...
Western countries dont seem to be coping as well..
Could this be the end of the USA as we know it ??
Stay safe..

I wonder where Australia fits in that list?

Square Peg

Cancelled
Fremantle Poster of the Year Fremantle Board Tipping Champion
Jul 20, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
I wonder where Australia fits in that list?

I reckon we're the worst of the lot
SE Asian society: DOES expect government to control it's life, DOES NOT expect government to bail it out in a crisis
US society: DOES NOT expect government to control it's life, DOES NOT expect government to bail it out in a crisis
Australia (and UK) society: DOES NOT expect government to control it's life, DOES expect government to bail it out in a crisis

Purplrrr

All Australian
Jun 15, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
Key points:
  • Professor Doherty does not think contracting COVID-19 twice is very likely
  • He says if a patient did catch it twice, the prior infection would give them rapid immunity
  • He believes a vaccine will be available within 12 to 18 months

In 1996, Peter Doherty won the Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine for discovering how the immune system identifies cells that have been infected by a virus.

Yeah... but I read something in Facebook about gargling warm salty water. I've got it sorted.

Sep 4, 2004
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
I reckon we're the worst of the lot
SE Asian society: DOES expect government to control it's life, DOES NOT expect government to bail it out in a crisis
US society: DOES NOT expect government to control it's life, DOES NOT expect government to bail it out in a crisis
Australia (and UK) society: DOES NOT expect government to control it's life, DOES expect government to bail it out in a crisis

Yeah, I'm a bit worried too when you look at it that way.

sumavich

Premiership Player
Aug 29, 2006
perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
I reckon they are dreaming if they think they’ll get a season with integrity this year. They should be planning foR ‘21 with new parameters. This thing will be around for a fair amount of time

Firesharter

Debutant
Apr 10, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
China, japan, Singapore, hong kong, Taiwan, South Korea. All countries renowned for people being respectful to each other & obeying the rule of law (most democratic)
All seem to be managing the curve well after iffy starts...
Western countries dont seem to be coping as well..
Could this be the end of the USA as we know it ??
Stay safe..

I wonder how it will affect their election down voting lines because it seems to me that more republicans are going to be affected.

Apr 16, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Does anyone else think it’s a bit unfair that AFL executives are taking a 20% pay cut but asking players to take a 79% pay cut? Gil and his team may be good administrators but they are surely more easily replaced than the playing talent.
Yeah, but the players have to go home and do nothing. Gill and his cronnies are actually still working in head office trying to save the code.

Players only agreed to a 50% pay cut over the next 2 months. So if that's all they give up it's actually only a 9% pay cut on their yearly contract.

Daddoo

Master Chef
Oct 31, 2015
Chicago
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers Milwaukee Brewers
I wonder how it will affect their election down voting lines because it seems to me that more republicans are going to be affected.

That’s a mighty interesting thought. Can you elaborate?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apr 14, 2018
Just up the street
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SFFC
Coronavirus crisis: Fremantle Dockers hoping to use AFL’s 10-week hiatus as opportunity to prepare for a premiership assault
Headshot of Jordan McArdle

Jordan McArdleThe West Australian
Wednesday, 25 March 2020 11:29

Fremantle are hoping to use the competition’s 10-week hiatus as an opportunity to prepare for a premiership assault in a shortened season.
Coach Justin Longmuir, CEO Simon Garlick and general manager of football Peter Bell were among those to address the playing group on Monday before everyone went their separate ways into self-isolation.
Defender Reece Conca opened up on the “weirdest” meeting of his decade-long playing career, in the midst of the coronavirus pandemic which caused the 2020 to be put on hold until at least May 31.
Conca, in his second season at the Dockers after eight at Richmond, said the message was about entering the resumption in tip-top shape and connected as a group to “have a really good run at a premiership potentially”.
The club’s long injury list could be significantly reduced by the time round two comes around, with defenders Alex Pearce (ankle), Nathan Wilson (toe), veteran midfielder David Mundy (leg), recruit Blake Acres (hamstring) all likely to be available and potentially Joel Hamling (ankle).
“It was more around the program that they’ll put in place for us, because it’s an unusual period in the sense that it’s not an off-season but it’s also not a pre-season so we’re just trying to find that balance, physically and mentally,” Conca told TAB Radio.
“Everyone will have an individual program, and we sort of spoke about it as an opportunity.
“If we can really come out of the other side of this period in really good condition, physically, mentally and really connected and united as a group and as a club, we could have a really good run at a premiership potentially because we don’t know what’s going to happen.
“And if we’re playing games every three or four days, we need everyone ready and prepared to play, so that was sort of the message from there.
“Also the flip-side of that, the club is in a really difficult position, the staff are really struggling and players are going to take pay cuts, so there was some really hard-hitting information as well.
“It was a weird sort of meeting, probably the weirdest I’ve been a part of as a footballer, for sure.”
It took a while for the news to really sink in for Conca that there was no more footy for the foreseeable future.
“It was really weird news to get, for the first little bit I sort of ignored it and kind of went about my Sunday as if it was kind of normal, or tried to at least,” Conca recalled.
“A few hours later it hit me that footy was going to be called off and a few of us Freo guys got together as leaders and just had a chat about how we go forward as a playing group and a club.
“I was constantly getting messages and emails from the club, the AFLPA, the AFL, it was all happening in such a small amount of time.
“I know there are a few other players who took it a little bit harder than myself, so we’re just getting around them.”
Conca said he felt for the Fremantle staff members who were set to lose their jobs as all 18 clubs prepare for a massive financial hit.
“A lot of these staff that are getting let down are close friends and family of myself and the Fremantle Football Club so making sure that they’re all right is probably my first concern,” he said.

Cesoir

Club Legend
Feb 11, 2019
Cairns
AFL Club
Fremantle
Wow, you really do not get it, do you? Try reading this and get a sense of what really happens of things are done the way you want them to be.
View attachment 846516
Can I ask who Ray Barrera is, and what are his qualifications in this area? I'm asking because I have seen many conflicting models for this virus and this particular scenario seems very emotive.

Not saying it's wrong, just curious to know where his data comes from to make these predictions?

Sep 4, 2004
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
Can I ask who Ray Barrera is, and what are his qualifications in this area? I'm asking because I have seen many conflicting models for this virus and this particular scenario seems very emotive.

Not saying it's wrong, just curious to know where his data comes from to make these predictions?

To me it looks like the worse (or getting towards worse) case scenario but it's stuff that all looks possible from we've seen so far in some countries.

I'm not sure about cancer treatments being elective though. Anyone in the hospital system have thought on that one?

Apr 7, 2010
West
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Brewers
To me it looks like the worse (or getting towards worse) case scenario but it's stuff that all looks possible from we've seen so far in some countries.

I'm not sure about cancer treatments being elective though. Anyone in the hospital system have thought on that one?

G Mus may know.

Apr 7, 2010
West
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Brewers

At this stage he could only be basing it on Italy's experience, which is (hopefully) the absolute worst case scenario.

Cesoir

Club Legend
Feb 11, 2019
Cairns
AFL Club
Fremantle

Yeah, I agree - everything in that post is possible. But unless this guy has access to a crystal ball I don't think we should be posting stuff up and saying "this is what will really happen" and treating another poster as an idiot because maybe he read a different article. I have a family member who sends me stuff about how this is a Chinese plot to drive the share market down and buy up all the cheap assets in the world, and I can't convince him it's not true because he read it on the internet.

My point is, maybe we could all cool our jets in terms of saying what WILL happen and discuss civilly the possible outcomes, and more importantly what we can do to help each other and the country out.

I recently read a very authoritative article from a leading data scientist who predicted the Chinese curve when practically everyone thought it would just keep going up. He is suggesting that this is closer to a three month issue than a lot of the current forecasts. I'm not going to post it because it is just another opinion, but I don't honestly believe anyone knows what will happen - every country is just trying to deal with it as best they can.

Apr 7, 2010
West
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Brewers
This is from a few days ago: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-03-21/coronavirus-covid-19-infections-spike-by-26-in-wa/12077652

Health Minister Roger Cook said as of Tuesday all category three elective surgery would be cancelled.

In addition to that, no new category two elective surgeries would be booked from Monday.

Category two elective surgery is defined as that which is deemed medically necessary within two to three months.
Category three is defined as surgery that is necessary within 12 months.
Category one is that which needs to be undertaken within a month.

WA's numbers since the first spike and over the last 4 days are encouraging. No exponential growth, just a steady linear growth. If we can get another week of linear growth you'd be comfortable we might have some grasp on it over here with current measures - BIG if though.

I wouldnt be opposed to a total compete lockdown for a month - we could really stop it and move towards a opening up the local economy

Thank * we turned away from those cruises unlike the muppets over east

25/3 - 30
24/3 - 35
23/3 - 20
22/3 - 30
21/3 -26

GoFreo4eva

Freo Tragic Since the Beginning
Sep 15, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle

Hi Cesoir. I do not know who this person is but it eloquently puts the dilemma faced by places like Italy and forecast by the Governor of New York unless something changes. I do not know his sources but its a pretty simple equation. As infection rates go up so do rates of hospitalisation. If Hospitalisation goes up so does the number of acute infections and that is when it gets very real with ICU overwhelmed very quickly leaving hospitals unable to cope with their normal load of ICU and other patients. It's not like hospitals sit empty waiting for sick people to turn up. They are already under pressure most of the time so throw in a highly infectious and deadly to some disease and well... Its just numbers and the infection rate is climbing alarmingly in some places including in NSW especially. Now they have done some seriously dumb things to make matters worse in these places but if you let the COVID-19 virus run its course it is almost inevitable the situation this guy talks about will develop quickly.

GoFreo4eva

Freo Tragic Since the Beginning
Sep 15, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Yeah, I agree - everything in that post is possible. But unless this guy has access to a crystal ball I don't think we should be posting stuff up and saying "this is what will really happen" and treating another poster as an idiot because maybe he read a different article. I have a family member who sends me stuff about how this is a Chinese plot to drive the share market down and buy up all the cheap assets in the world, and I can't convince him it's not true because he read it on the internet.

My point is, maybe we could all cool our jets in terms of saying what WILL happen and discuss civilly the possible outcomes, and more importantly what we can do to help each other and the country out.

I recently read a very authoritative article from a leading data scientist who predicted the Chinese curve when practically everyone thought it would just keep going up. He is suggesting that this is closer to a three month issue than a lot of the current forecasts. I'm not going to post it because it is just another opinion, but I don't honestly believe anyone knows what will happen - every country is just trying to deal with it as best they can.
Like others on here, I am entitled to share my thoughts and concerns. I was merely refuting the notion that just letting it run its course is the way to go as it only kills a small percentage of the population. That may well be true but the collateral damage to others in the health system is what this is talking about. I am not suggesting Belkinor is an idiot but rather he is perhaps misinformed or did not consider all aspects of his proposition. Take a look at the thread of posts and form your own opinion

As for the Chinese curve, that was likely to be much more predictable because of the eventually extreme action to isolate millions of people. That has not happened anywhere in the Western world and the scenario described in this piece has played out in Italy and is now unfolding in the US and Spain and probably the UK soon as well.

Sep 4, 2004
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle

Absolutely. I agree with all that you wrote. Like I said, it is worse case scenario so I'm not agreeing that this will happen. I've read that article so here's hoping.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back