Remove this Banner Ad

basashi

Premiership Player
Jun 18, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
FFC Quay Club
The new NBL TV Deal that is isn't a TV deal (http://www.nbl.tv/earlyRegister) is basically a copy of the NFL's Gamepass or the Cricket Australia CATV.

In essence, it is a virtual channel that carries all their games, highlights packages, panel shows etc.

You pay an annual fee to get a password - with the password you can watch on your phone, tablet, internet enabled TV, laptop, desktop and on any old tv if you plug a laptop or other device into it. Replays are delivered through the same platform.

Given that
- so many footy fans only actually want the footy channel
- many are pst off with having to pay nearly 1k a year for the "forced" package of unrelated garbage you have to have
- satisfaction levels with the rest of foxtel appear to range between low and dismal

...there would have to be huge scope for the AFL to go down this path. Especially since the march of technology will be delivering more and more enabled devices by the time the next tv deal is due. Nearly every TV sold now is internet enabled and the viewer experience would be quite seamless.

I would guess that the average footy fan would dump foxtel and pick up a more flexible "footy channel only" subscription at a price point far in excess of whatever it is that Foxtel pay the AFL.

I reckon 90% of footy fans who get foxtel would happily pay 300 to 400 to the AFL and dump the foxtel. Personally, I would probably pay 500 or 600 as we get nothing out of foxtel at all.

Would it work for footy?

What would your price point be?

Would the next tv rights renewal be too early in terms of tecnology?

Or are too many footy fans enamoured with foxtel's mish mash of cage fighting / monster trucks / "worlds hungriest lion" / "my brudder is my pappy!" content level?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back