Society/Culture Imported White Trash

Remove this Banner Ad

The Viets have done very well by and large here.

This has changed a bit given the patterns of who gets employed at times of full employment. Not sure how often ABS puts out these stats.

http://www.abs.gov.au/AUSSTATS/ABS@...e=Summary&prodno=1301.0&issue=2005&num=&view=

The unemployment rate for all Australian residents in 2001 was 7%. The unemployment rates for Italy-born and United Kingdom-born Australians were lower, at 5% and 6% respectively. For New Zealand-born residents the unemployment rate was above Australia's rate, at 8%. Vietnam-born residents had the highest unemployment rate of the selected birthplace groups (18%).

This has changed a bit given the patterns of who gets employed at times of full employment. Not sure how often ABS puts out these stats.

http://www.abs.gov.au/AUSSTATS/ABS@...e=Summary&prodno=1301.0&issue=2005&num=&view=

The unemployment rate for all Australian residents in 2001 was 7%. The unemployment rates for Italy-born and United Kingdom-born Australians were lower, at 5% and 6% respectively. For New Zealand-born residents the unemployment rate was above Australia's rate, at 8%. Vietnam-born residents had the highest unemployment rate of the selected birthplace groups (18%).

The Vietnam born ones yes, but the children of the immigrants are doing very well.

I suspect many of the Vietnam born ones are relos brought over on family visas.

The Vietnam born ones yes, but the children of the immigrants are doing very well.

I suspect many of the Vietnam born ones are relos brought over on family visas.

Its often very hard to know given the way stats are collated ie Australian born Vietanemese vs Vietnamese born. The UK even splits chilrden depending on parennts, ie children of two immigrants get counted as immigrants and children of one immigrant and one UK citizen are counted as Brits.

Many assume differences in employment rates and income will quickly converge. Whilst this can occur is it very common for it not to. Not just in Oz but worldwide. See blacks and Hispanics in the US, Pakistanis and Bengalis in the UK, North Africans in France etc

The Indians in the UK have done well, however, they were typically well off and well educated before they arrived.

Its often very hard to know given the way stats are collated ie Australian born Vietanemese vs Vietnamese born. The UK even splits chilrden depending on parennts, ie children of two immigrants get counted as immigrants and children of one immigrant and one UK citizen are counted as Brits.

Many assume differences in employment rates and income will quickly converge. Whilst this can occur is it very common for it not to. Not just in Oz but worldwide. See blacks and Hispanics in the US, Pakistanis and Bengalis in the UK, North Africans in France etc

The Indians in the UK have done well, however, they were typically well off and well educated before they arrived.

I agree. Its common sense. I grew up in inner city Melbourne and was continually amazed at how so many of my Vietnamese friends parents all had engineering degrees or were doctors etc.

Thus, they imparted a culture of education and hard work to their children.

People who were brought over as primarily low paid menial labour - pakistanis in Britain, North Africans in France - generally do not have the same.

I agree. Its common sense.

You would think so but few will acknowledge it for a variety of reasons.

Australia did well out of post WWII immigration because many people displaced by the war were highly educated and previously well off.

This is no longer a common occurrence and thus the povery cycle continues on.

Many Indians in the UK were kicked out of Uganda with stuff all but they had the education and skills to do well in the UK. The Pakistani and Bengali migrants from the countryside did not

The situation is further worsened by arranged marriages where immigrants go back and grab a spouse who is often poor and uneducated.

I will leave matera goals diatribe alone as he seems to need major re-constructive shoulder surgery for that massive chip.
But I will take you up on your post.
The crimes by english gangs are already commonplace. Not only in the north of Perth, but, as mentioned by another poster, in areas like Rockingham/Mandurah.
I cannot comment on the eastern states, but I am sure that this situation is not uncommon.
If pommy bashing sells papers then why aren't the media so keen to follow this line of enquiry?
Do pommies write more scathing letters to the editor?
And, again, why aren't all of our BF brothers and sisters, who are so keen to lambast other ethnic goups, jumping all over caucasion groups of thugs who are causing just as much angst and violence on our streets as their non-white cousins?

Do you have any links to articles or stories regarding these crimes? I'm sorry but 'my mate the copper told me....' doesn't work for me. As SLF said, Pommy bashing is a national sport and i'm sure every newspaper in the country would be lining up to give the Poms a kick at the first sign of an English immigrant crime wave in this country.

You would think so but few will acknowledge it for a variety of reasons.

Australia did well out of post WWII immigration because many people displaced by the war were highly educated and previously well off.

This is no longer a common occurrence and thus the povery cycle continues on.

Many Indians in the UK were kicked out of Uganda with stuff all but they had the education and skills to do well in the UK. The Pakistani and Bengali migrants from the countryside did not

The situation is further worsened by arranged marriages where immigrants go back and grab a spouse who is often poor and uneducated.

By the same token, plenty of those now arriving in illegal boats are those with the education, money and contacts to pay their way out.

By the same token, plenty of those now arriving in illegal boats are those with the education, money and contacts to pay their way out.

Money to an extent not convinced re the others.

People ie Fairfax will often say that we should let in boat people because they are hardworking, ingenious etc. I am far from convinced re this and the stats dont back their argument.

I was in HK around the time of the handover. The smart locals had welll before hand organised their escape route via Australian and Canadian passports (and hoodwinked those countries in the country via a carousel).

There has been a war there for years. I am sure plenty of smart people made contingies a long time ago.

Call me a cynic.

People in Sri Lanka (where most of the current boat people are coming from) face a markedly different situation to that of HK.

HK is not an accurate comparison IMO.

Do you have any links to articles or stories regarding these crimes? I'm sorry but 'my mate the copper told me....' doesn't work for me. As SLF said, Pommy bashing is a national sport and i'm sure every newspaper in the country would be lining up to give the Poms a kick at the first sign of an English immigrant crime wave in this country.

Isn't that the whole point of this thread though? The media AREN'T reporting it in that manner at all. And regardless of whether you believe my, or others, anecdotal evidence or not, the problem actually exists and is getting worse.
If pommy bashing is such a national passion then why isn't the media lining up for a turn to kick them?
Is it because they fear the backlash from the good pommies? And I readily acknowledge that the vast majority of them are fine, upstanding citizens. Just like the Africans, Vietnamese, Indians, Sri Lankans et al.
Is it because, as this thread is starting to illustrate, that the general public will refuse to castigate their cousins from the mother country?
Or is it that our national psyche has changed and we now prefer to choose our ethnic bashing based on race, colour and media hysteria.

People in Sri Lanka (where most of the current boat people are coming from) face a markedly different situation to that of HK.

HK is not an accurate comparison IMO.

Yes you may be right to an extent. My point was the smart cookies in HK knew the handover was coming and took out a contingency plan.

They didnt wait for the Chinese army to start a civil war (or even wait until the war was basically lost) to run.

Yes you may be right to an extent. My point was the smart cookies in HK knew the handover was coming and took out a contingency plan.

They didnt wait for the Chinese army to start a civil war (or even wait until the war was basically lost) to run.

The defeat of the Tigers in SL was, in the context of that 25 year conflict, remarkably swift and unexpected.

The defeat of the Tigers in SL was, in the context of that 25 year conflict, remarkably swift and unexpected.

Wars often end like that. WWI a good example as was Vietnam War.

I would have thought life would have been very average in the Tamil areas for quite a while.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And regardless of whether you believe my, or others, anecdotal evidence or not, the problem actually exists and is getting worse.

I had never heard of it until this thread. I have never heard of such issues in Melbourne. I distinctly remember a bit of an issue with Vietnamese gangs re Salt, samurai sword in a park, deaths in the Yarra etc.

I am sure if the soap dodgers got up to that it would have made the press.

Thus even after the recession the economies of the US and the UK will be far ahead of where they would otherwise have been without the growth in banking.
LOL. You are so utterly deluded. The past decade there has been ZERO net jobs created in the US and ZERO net wealth created. Wage growth in real terms has been negative since the 70s.

Yes, economies have grown (a somewhat amorphous 'we' for a supposed libertarian to use) but this has by and large accumulated in the top echelon of society. Completely meaningless to the millions who've lost their jobs and homes.

Wars often end like that. WWI a good example as was Vietnam War.

I would have thought life would have been very average in the Tamil areas for quite a while.

Not always so. The Tigers response to the tsunami in the areas they held astounded foreign aid workers who said it was better and more effective than many governments managed.

Its wildy off topic but the main reason the SL Gvt beat the Tigers was they split them in two by buying off one commander (Karuna) then used Israeli weapons, tactics and advisors to do the remnants.

Yes, economies have grown (a somewhat amorphous 'we' for a supposed libertarian to use) but this has by and large accumulated in the top echelon of society. Completely meaningless to the millions who've lost their jobs and homes.

And somehow more jobs and higher median wages would have occurred if GDP was 1% pa less?

What sort of logic is that?

Do we have a shortage of bankers?

Answer yes or no.

I would say we have a shortage of useful workers such as doctors and engineers, who get paid far less than bankers. Yet, according to you, price indicates value or shortage. Are you sure you're not completely deluded?

I think some are getting a little too caught up in bashing bankers. FWIW I have some freinds in the UK who have tried several times to get residency in Australia. He is an engineer for Honda & has skills that would most certainly be usefull in any country. They are financially secure owning property in the UK as well as in France & Turkey & both have UK super & pensions waiting. Unfortunatley she does not fit the skills requirement because she manages a supermarket. I wouldn't mind if this strict policy was universal but it would certainly appear that many less qualified & less secure immigrants are getting preference.

And somehow more jobs and higher median wages would have occurred if GDP was 1% pa less?

What sort of logic is that?
Quite simple logic. You (and the Economist) are looking at the financial elites seizing control of US (and UK) economy as the only thing that could have driven growth in those countries. A completely different history could have occurred.

I think some are getting a little too caught up in bashing bankers. FWIW I have some freinds in the UK who have tried several times to get residency in Australia. He is an engineer for Honda & has skills that would most certainly be usefull in any country. They are financially secure owning property in the UK as well as in France & Turkey & both have UK super & pensions waiting. Unfortunatley she does not fit the skills requirement because she manages a supermarket. I wouldn't mind if this strict policy was universal but it would certainly appear that many less qualified & less secure immigrants are getting preference.
Hey, I agree. We need more engineers.

Quite simple logic. You (and the Economist) are looking at the financial elites seizing control of US (and UK) economy as the only thing that could have driven growth in those countries. A completely different history could have occurred.

Just because the financial system is liberalised doesnt mean that the benefits have to flow in the manner they did in the US. The rules re hedge funds and carried interest were stupid. That was a huge loop hole. It need not have been.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7786149.stm

16 December 2008

Income distribution in the UK has not changed since 1991, the Office for National Statistics figures indicate.

What else would have driven growth in the UK economy? The manufacturing base was shrinking and would have been extraordinarily difficult if not impossible to revive to the extent needed and North Sea gas is running out.#

Financial Services is where the UK has its competitive advantage over other countries. It is a very large part of the reason why the UK has done comparatively well since the late 80s until now. It is not the entire story but it is quite a bit of it.

http://www.theage.com.au/national/temporary-skilled-migration-halved-20100111-m2o9.html

TEMPORARY skilled workers migrating to Australia have halved since this time a year ago, after more stringent workplace laws came into force.

and these;

''Registered nurses, general medical practitioners and medical practitioners in training top the list of occupations, along with computing professionals,'' Senator Evans said.

''Almost 90 per cent of primary visas granted were to managers and administrators, professionals or associated professionals.''

and this;

No labourers, clerks or transport workers were granted temporary work visas in the state this financial year. Successful applicants were concentrated among professionals and managers, the report said

Isn't that the whole point of this thread though? The media AREN'T reporting it in that manner at all. And regardless of whether you believe my, or others, anecdotal evidence or not, the problem actually exists and is getting worse.

My mate the copper told me that he once arrested a lesbian albino dwarf and it didn't make the paper so the media are protecting the short, same sex loving, pigmently challenged also.

If pommy bashing is such a national passion then why isn't the media lining up for a turn to kick them?

Because there are not gangs ov chavs lookin for it on the estate innit.

One incident where there may or may not have been English involved doesn't make for a conspiricy.

My mate the copper told me that he once arrested a lesbian albino dwarf and it didn't make the paper so the media are protecting the short, same sex loving, pigmently challenged also.
You just don't get it, do you.

Because there are not gangs ov chavs lookin for it on the estate innit.

One incident where there may or may not have been English involved doesn't make for a conspiricy.

I am assuming that you have visited/lived in Perths northern suburbs or the Rockingham/Mandurah area to be so confident in your assumption.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back