Strategy Improvements for 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Apart from our deficiencies in defence. In 2019 we need a kick in strategy. Too often we get locked in trying to get the ball out from our goal square. Yesterday was embarrassing when we continually kept kicking wide to WC numbers, over and over. I know it was late in the game and we were spent but it created multiple rebounds that are eventually going to wear you down and hurt you on the score board. Yet WC (and other good teams) release with ease from theirs.

Yeah, but we really need an elite kick in player — oh, I remember the days Leon Davis was averaging 100% after about 20 rounds....

Window is open for the next 2 to 3 years and even longer me thinks...

So I would get Jarred Roughhead to help boost the forward line. He would help spread the talks away from Cox. And he can also kick to the small forwards well.

Get a big tall... Sure Moore, Reid and May are available but need someone else next to Howe who can contest the top defensive 50 aerial balls.... Pies biggest weakness since 2010 has been That air delivery at the defensive 50 (for Pies)... Always looks like the Pies are skiing uphill... They need someone like McGovern... But someone more likeable

No to Roughead. We need don’t need players in decline. We’ve already got a couple of those. And I get that we need his type — but that’s Mihocek.

We need to keep Moore desperately. But we need him physically right. Unfortunately at this stage of he’s career the jury is it on his body. He’s broken down way earlier than Ben Reid did!

Steven May would be a bonus.

I still think we can get away with the talls on our list, if we get some class ball users into the side. I used to wet myself every time Buckley delivered to Tarrant on a lead.
If we had 1 I’d Reid, Moore or Dunn available we could be celebrating right now.

List is ok but no team has the depth to cover 3 key back injuries

I still think we can get away with the talls on our list, if we get some class ball users into the side. I used to wet myself every time Buckley delivered to Tarrant on a lead.

I am hoping for Elliott forward and WHE on the midfield outside playing the "Wells role" If by some miracle Wells gets fit and on the park for a fair portion of 2019 then all the better.

Yeah you wouldn’t be taking too much of an axe to the list.
- Blair
- Oxley
- Smith
- Wills

I’d look at a trade involving picks to get a KPD and then look at how we can improve in our forward structure. We were one of the best scoring teams in the Comp with our even spread, you need to play to your strengths not shy away from them.

Our deficit has been in controlling big forwards. Losing Dunn and Shaz and Moore was woeful, once they get fit we’ll be better for it. Someone mentioned Findlayson from GWS?

But the list is young and healthy with some experienced players who can keep going - Sidney, Pendles, Sack and Dunn for at least another 2 years. Then we have a lot of mid-tier players who are only going to get fitter/stronger each pre season.

Murphy as a HBF to allow Aish to have more midfield time?

Wills is contracted so unless he's being traded I doubt he's going anywhere. I'd suggest those definitely gone are:

Blair
Oxley
Smith
Murray

Those out of contract who may be going include:

Fasolo
Greenwood
Broomhead
Goldsack
EDIT: Should have included Kirby here as well. Hopefully he's cleared to play on.

The Dunn deal is being worked out, Elliott just re-signed, I think deals will get done for:

Moore
Mihocek
Appleby
Madgen
McLarty
Daicos
Langdon.

Last edited:
Wills is contracted so unless he's being traded I doubt he's going anywhere. I'd suggest those definitely gone are:

Blair
Oxley
Smith
Murray

Those out of contract who may be going include:

Fasolo
Greenwood
Broomhead
Goldsack

The Dunn deal is being worked out, Elliott just re-signed, I think deals will get done for:

Moore
Mihocek
Appleby
Madgen
McLarty
Daicos
Langdon.
Delist/leaving for me -

Blair
Smith
Fasolo
Broomhead
Murray

Delist/leaving for me -

Blair
Smith
Fasolo
Broomhead
Murray

I assume you're not including rookies and that's why you haven't mentioned Oxley.

Broomhead is an interesting 1 for me. He was in our best 22 in round 2 this year so the club obviously value him. I wouldn't be disappointed to see him get re-signed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think this is the only way I can deal with the pain and emptiness, time to look forward...

Firstly I think the coaching group were first rate and should be kept together at all costs. Footy cap restricts us from making further improvements.

Mason Cox - he has started to clunk marks as we all knew he could, expect that to improve further over the preseason and expect his aerobic capacity to improve as well as his ruck craft. He will be even bigger in 2019.

Brayden Sier- now knows what it takes to play senior football and expect him to work harder over the preseason so that he has the capacity to play 4 quarters and work better in transition. Wills could partner him on ball...

Darcy Moore - I think he is staying, and I look forward to him building some strength and agility into his limbs now that they are fully grown at 22 years of age. He was the missing piece yesterday. If he leaves we should get May in return.

Jamie Elliott - needs to get fit or we move him on. We desperately need another quality small to allow Jordy to have more midfield rotations. I really like the idea of getting Kelly in 2020, his polish is what we lack...or could it be Daicos...Kirby.

Scott Pendlebury - I want to see him getting more outside ball, average 30 possessions, when the ball is in his hands things happen. Even his shanked kick yesterday resulted in a goal!

I hope we finally get our injuries down, I can’t help but think it’s to do with the break neck speed and way we play the game. We need to use our depth to rest players strategically and proactively rather than waiting for them to break down. Bring in Wills, Mclarty, Brown, Daicos, Broomhead, Murphy... for stints.

The 17 players that hadn’t played a final now have, that is huge and cannot be understated. They will reflect on why they came up short and be better for it come next year. Crisp really should have pumped that ball back in boundary side rather than switching to Sidey...we lost the game retreating...that’s me dwelling, can’t stop!

Some fair treatment from the footy gods and the umpires would be nice too, Eddy get to work!

I’d like to see Collingwood supporters stand by their team no matter what, side by side.

Ultimately all the pieces are there, we just have to make it work. Floreat pica
Yeah I'm still sore from Saturday and I didn't even play, just barracking from the rafters in the great southern stand.

I think Moore's best position is the ruck forward, not defence. There were a couple of games there last year when it happened and the bones were there. I reckon that's what the swans have in mind.

Is Wills in contract? I don't think he takes us forward anymore.

Pendles in trouble of rapid downfall if he can't learn another role. Gastro aside he struggled over the ball a few times this year. Eagles exploited this 3 times this year.

Cox needs some endurance and another KPF to support him. He could be anything. Mihocek was outstanding this year in a surprise role. Reid didn't really give us much and his body is suspect.

Love to see Jamie back up and about leading and flying for marks too

While its great we made a grand final its not going to just happen again without a fair bit of improvement.

I believe Demons, GWS, Essendon, Richmond, Hawks, Geelong, Sydney ect can all push hard and will be trying to do what we did (and then some)

I think we have to get far more consistent and really lock in a top 4 spot to give us the best chance of another chance.

Our draw was super easy so dont count on that again.

I think Moore's best position is the ruck forward, not defence. There were a couple of games there last year when it happened and the bones were there. I reckon that's what the swans have in mind.

Pendles in trouble of rapid downfall if he can't learn another role. Gastro aside he struggled over the ball a few times this year. Eagles exploited this 3 times this year.
Agree. There's no reason we couldn't play Moore as a forward/ruck. Leave Cox forward and get a KPD.

Pendles was strong over the ball earlier this year when he was ripped from pre-season. When he got sick before the QF he looked gaunt and weak.

On a general note:
If we solely focus what works, we are one step behind the rest of the comp who are working on what brought us down.
Our medium size fwds and defenders got outdone by big bodied men and we failed to keep our pressure and running game going.
And make no mistake, in the past 2 weeks, WCE nullified the 2 most dominant ruckmen in the comp and a runner up in the Brownlow.
Not sure how many other teams can copy that plan but we have to be prepared for it or we will lose again.

Underrated post. However I think Buckley is astute enough to make some tweaks to the gameplan so we don't come back ready to be picked apart next season. That was Malthouse's mistake in 2011 - blind faith in an unchanged gameplan that was eventually overcome.

I think Goldsack is spare parts next season. Pendles is the one that worries me. I don't see him being suited to an outside midfield role but his inside work has been in decline recently. I think he could do some damage in the forward line though - strong overhead, good defensively as well and still with the ability to step through traffic, and this might allow WHE to go back to a wing. Moore at CHB, assuming he's fit, allows Howe off the chain and goes some way to solving our defensive issues. I'm going to make believe Dunn will be back before the half way mark of 2019 as well.

Worst post of 2018
Goldsack was great, mihocek and aish are solid role players every club needs and mayne was probably second to Sidebottom as our best in September.

You’re just to close to it, need to think laterally
Goldsack was cleaned up in all finals when it counted, Mihocek won’t sign a new contract and will go probably to GC, Aish just isn’t mobile enough and we have enough of those types, Mayne not fussed either way, Phillips just a plodder who accumulates possessions but doesn’t hurt the opposition

Come back with a counter argument then?

Think all tradable for the right deal

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Underrated post. However I think Buckley is astute enough to make some tweaks to the gameplan so we don't come back ready to be picked apart next season. That was Malthouse's mistake in 2011 - blind faith in an unchanged gameplan that was eventually overcome.

I think Goldsack is spare parts next season. Pendles is the one that worries me. I don't see him being suited to an outside midfield role but his inside work has been in decline recently. I think he could do some damage in the forward line though - strong overhead, good defensively as well and still with the ability to step through traffic, and this might allow WHE to go back to a wing. Moore at CHB, assuming he's fit, allows Howe off the chain and goes some way to solving our defensive issues. I'm going to make believe Dunn will be back before the half way mark of 2019 as well.
Pendlebury is a lot of things.. but Strong overhead is not one of them.
Probably the biggest deficiency in his game, along with accuracy from Set shots, across the whole of his career.

Pendlebury is a lot of things.. but Strong overhead is not one of them.
Probably the biggest deficiency in his game, along with accuracy from Set shots, across the whole of his career.
Fair enough. He used to be strong overhead but maybe hasn't been since his finger injury.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back