Strategy Improvements for 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure using the tigers as an example helps your point.
One bad game costs you your shot. Pressure game is all they had, lose 1 or 2 top players or off the boil and they got destroyed. We need more tricks than just pressure is my point. Not sure we have enough play makers at this point, and we can't rely on our current kpps to support us when things are tough. As we saw last Saturday.

One bad game costs you you're shot. Pressure game is all they had, lose 1 or 2 top players or off the boil and they got destroyed. We need more tricks than just pressure is my point.
I agree with your last point, I just don’t think using the tigers as an example proves it.

Isn’t Kelly contracted?

At best McLarty would have 24 games under his belt if we made a grand final. Sorry but how many 24 game key backs win flags.

May is available if he elects pies he will get here
Ben Reid played his 28th game in 2010 GF

Murphy to play the Scharenberg role next season. He tells me he is expected to grow to 195cm and club hope to play him at 90kg. Courageous and athletic and could play the Langdon role if required too, although I presume we retain Tommy.

Has he grown at all this year or still the 190cm he was drafted at?

Serious question.

Where is Rupert Wills at?

Does he have scope to partner Sier and add to our mids?

Is he just too injury riddled?
Or is his talent level, ok but not quite there?

Interesting year ahead for him.

I’m unsure he makes it, but could he be another piece that really works for us?

2018 has been a really disappointing year for him. Struggled again with injuries and now Sier seems to have gone past him in the pecking order. I'd like us to persevere with him but he may see greater opportunity elsewhere.

There was talk a while back that he had an inch or so on De Goey at a public appearance...

There was talk a while back that he had an inch or so on De Goey at a public appearance...

If he gets to that 193-195cm range and adds a bit of bulk he'd be starting to look like a Ben Reid clone with the way he moves and his ball use. Not quite the penetration in his kicking but makes good decisions and rarely wastes it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Welcome to Collingwood post from the draft on CFC website lists him at 188cm.
Selection No. 39 – Nathan Murphy

Position: Forward
Height: 188cm
Weight: 80kg
Born: 15/12/1999
Recruited from: Sandringham Dragons

He is now listed at 190cm on the CFC website.

Perhaps he has grown 2cm in the past few months?
He's still only 18, so certainly some scope for growth in height still. He is still slight in build, suggesting he also will fill out naturally and may not have stopped developing physically.

Welcome to Collingwood post from the draft on CFC website lists him at 188cm.
Selection No. 39 – Nathan Murphy

Position: Forward
Height: 188cm
Weight: 80kg
Born: 15/12/1999
Recruited from: Sandringham Dragons

He is now listed at 190cm on the CFC website.

Perhaps he has grown 2cm in the past few months?
He's still only 18, so certainly some scope for growth in height still. He is still slight in build, suggesting he also will fill out naturally and may not have stopped developing physically.

Will watch with interest.

Most vital thing we need to do is sign Darcy. He has tremendous untapped potential and can be much better than May or anyone else we get to replace him. He is a glaring need in our list. The matches he did play in 2018 were dangerous. He looked to have improved hugely.

Lose him and we may see another ex Collingwood Moore running around elsewhere as one of the best players in the comp.

Improvement is not linear. Being young does not guarantee improvement either.

We are just as likely to miss the 8 next year unless we can find real solutions to some of the issues our team faces. This year we won 14/14 against lower ranked teams, but only 3 from 12 on higher ranked team. Points to some significant gaps
  1. More A grade talent replacing some of the medium level talent. Not easy I know but make sure we get Kelly and Quaynor. I do like Knightmares bold strategy to trade out some of our talent to see if we can land a top 3 pick. Gotta give quality to get quality.
  2. Must keep Moore and Langdon unless they are part of the equation to land pick 2 or 3.
  3. Treloar needs to find his break away pace after the serious hamstring surgery
  4. Injuries - need a change in fortune here
  5. Some of the young guys need to get serious game time - Murphy, Appleby and McLarty (sure he gets crack next year?)
  6. Cox up forward is critical but needs to improve his leading patterns, contested marking and depth in his kicking.
  7. Back up plan for Grundy. He is now the most critical player on our list but we need to give him more support. Felt he was monstered in the GF.
  8. Keep our assistant coaches together - chemistry here is vital for the year ahead.

We finished 2nd right?

Not 2nd last
Agree but fault can easily occur by believing you are closer than you really are. 2nd position flatters our list as it stands for mine. We had a kind draw and we maximised that by not losing to bottom teams. No drops at all is unusual. We need to improve our form against the better teams. We are probably a 4-8 list on talent so we need that topped up. Beating Richmond with the benefit of them having an off night doesnt equal we have necessarily gone past them as an example. Our list needs some work to reach Rich, WCE, GWS and Melbourne for a start.

Last edited:
Agree but fault can easily occur by believing you are closer than you really are. 2nd position flatters our list as it stands for mine. We had a kind draw and we maximised that by not losing to bottom teams. No drops at all is unusual. We need to improve our form against the better teams. We are probably a 4-8 list on talent so we need that topped up. Beating Richmond with the benefit of them having an off night doesnt equal we have necessarily gone past them as an example. Our list needs some work to reach Rich, WCE, GWS and Melbourne for a start.
Agreed and all those things are reasonable

Its some of the other stuff in this thread that have me shaking my head in disbelief

Last edited by a moderator:
2018 has been a really disappointing year for him. Struggled again with injuries and now Sier seems to have gone past him in the pecking order. I'd like us to persevere with him but he may see greater opportunity elsewhere.
Good summation.

Though Sier is well past him.

I'd venture Sier is now considered a lock on selection assuming he does preseason as well as the expected. He's no longer fringe. That's for sure.
Credit to him.

Of course he can't take it for granted.

See how Wills goes, but he might seek pastures greener

Finals overall but if purely down back, enter 2010 GF mk1 vs replay.

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/amp...h/news-story/546768984101d01116655485eac23f27

And still for the record, I wish he played the replay and stayed another year or two.
Agree he could have retained his spot in the replay.
I'd have brought in Goldsack but left out the number 47 player.
Just my preference.
But good luck to the premiership players they all did the job required and deserve the accolades.
Davis was unlucky but form was iffy at that point.

Shame he didn't stay longer.

Agree on most of that.
Not sure why people are so readily buying into Melbourne.
I thought they had a soft underbelly and beat up on a hapless Geelong and underwhelming hawthorn.
Eagles exposed them.
We beat them too.

I'd think on balance we were a worthy 3rd side.
Because of our brutal team ethic we gained a GF spot then held on for grim life almost..... but not quite.

I think the group coming through, now playing the needed 50 + games is the future.
That group, the emergence of Sier, Stephenson, we certainly have something.

As always we do need some extra A grade talent.
Hopefully the one I've earmarked, Murphy, shows us some real high level play.

This year Stephenson changed the whole dynamic. Those things a club turns towards the good.

Just need to build on our best talent: Grundy, Pendlebury, De Goey, Sidebottom, Treloar,
Then get fully fit Elliott and Moore.
Build with the rest of them....

We're certainly getting there.

Tend to agree, don't think we have room for Wills and Sier but I think both are capable with Sier being the preferred.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back