Roast Improving as a supporter base; is improving as a club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Upon reading Bigfooty the last 3 weeks, I've noticed a poisonous culture starting to form, I know people are frustrated, but some of you are being straight up irrational. We're starting to look like another club with a sash, known for it's whinging and not getting anywhere.

The last 3 weeks has been hard, as members, as supporters, as passionate associates of a club we love so much. But there are serious patterns emerging that can and will stop us from progressing as a club, something we as supporters need to fix.
We're known; as a supporting base for this ridiculous ability to take things out on our players, as opposed to supporting and encouraging them. Even I have been guilty-ish of this at times.

Dyson Heppell is a player that every single team in the league would want, yet we're sitting there bitching after he gets 11 tackles, which is a gigantic improvement from last year, something he's clearly worked on and has reaped the rewards. He's got a cool head under pressure which we badly needed yesterday. It's these irrational attacks on our players that keep us behind as a club.

We did the same to Stanton; who's turned out to be one of the better gut runners in the comp in the last 15 years, behind only really Crawford and Harvey.
We did the same to Hooker; who's turned out to be one of the better KPD's in the competition.
We did the same to Melksham; who happens to have game breaking capabilities once he's found some form. Not to mention he killed Pendlebury before the umpires brought him back into the game.

The only thing that needs to change, is the mentality of the playing group, which is something that can happen within months, especially with the kind of leaders we have at the club! It's something we, as supporters can also help with. Sometimes I think people need to study the words "Supporter" and "Member" a little bit more carefully. We are here to support, and as members we're a part of what's going on.

Watson, Goddard and Chapman are immense leaders, all of which play their guts out and are big game players.
Bomber Thompson, a 2x Priemiership, could have been a 3 time premiership coach and a premiership captain.
Simon Goodwin and Nathan Bassett, both Premiership players with Adelaide.
Matthew Egan; premiership player at Geelong.

Nobody could have looked at the first 6 weeks and said they expected an easy run.
We've been through a near on impossible year and a bit as a club, yet we've stuck through that with our heads held high and have defended the club ruthlessly. So why are we letting our armour chink now when we lose a few games!?

Can we please just trust these people?
Clearly they all know what it takes to get us the glory we so dearly seek.

DON THE ******* SASH LADS!

Why do we have a few untouchables on this board? Why is Heppell exempt from criticism, when his footskills are far below what he's capable of, week after week? Playing the "kid" card is lazy, he's good enough to be considered in the topline midfield group, so he should be held to that standard.

Incidentally, the umpires didn't get Pendles back into the game - Melksham got Pendles back into the game with some ridiculous holding efforts.

So you thought Heppell was lazy yesterday Ben?
I felt like he worked hard, but worked hard defensively more so than offensively.
Could have been told to work harder defensively? Learning the balance would be next.

That's not what I said at all.

His foot skills are so far below what we've seen from him and what he's capable of that it's ridiculous. I'm thrilled that he's learning to rack up 30+ with some regularity, but *, he needs to do some damage with them.

His foot skills are so far below what we've seen from him and what he's capable of that it's ridiculous. I'm thrilled that he's learning to rack up 30+ with some regularity, but ****, he needs to do some damage with them.

What do you feel would fix it? Is it an attitude thing?
He's sure as hell not given the sort of space he used to have, anything to do with that?
He's kicking flat footed more so than usual, but that appears to be a team wide thing.

Minor note BPB but Bassett never won a flag with Adelaide, started in 98 after the Crows won there flags.

Nor did Egan at Geelong.

I don't know how to fix someone who's suddenly forgotten how to kick. All I know is that his 30+ games won't be particularly dangerous until he does. I'd rather 20 from Stanton than 30 from Heppell at the moment.

I think it comes down to immaturity of people on this board Bipolarbear

I can be guilty of it too. As someone who loves this club I can get very heated. Go and visit the Geelong board, the Collingwood board even (I know they are 'winning' clubs but that doesn't matter, even after losses they are a good bunch to read).

They are an informative bunch who will listen and take into account another posters p.o.v. We seem to get up on our high horse and not want to lister to others.

As BtG mentioned, some are exempt from criticism, looking on those other boards, EVERYONE is criticised with passion but fairly after a poor showing.

I only dream that our board would go back to the way it was when i first joined (back in 2007 - far out!! where did that time go?). You had some highly knowledgable people who would inform of us youngsters from a different p.o.v but a right one, inform us of the young talent coming through. I probably wouldn't be as passionate about the VFL if it weren't for the great ant555 who was seemingly pushed off these boards for other reasons left unsaid.

As BpB said, let the guys who the club think are the best candidates to teach our players the way to win and watch gleefully watch on with the development. It will come together. I know times are tough, but let's stick together.

We are here to support, but we also invest emotionally. We have absolutely every right to throw anything into question if the side isn't successful when we're in a period where it should and needs to be.

There shouldn't be protected species. And nor should people feel like they can't post certain things because they'll cop a spray of invective for it.

I am however getting rather tired of personal agendas dominating the posting and behaviour of too many people. It's absolutely understandable that we're frustrated at the moment, and I think the events of the last twelve months probably magnify that.

But I really think some would do well to not oscillate so much; to not be so bipolar in their attitude. You know, either we're heading for a flag or are complete rubbish- that sort of thing. Hiding behind some vale of "no I won't calm down" doesn't wash with me- that's effectively an admission that you're not being completely rational. And I don't see that as helpful. I find it embarrassing given the scorn we've heaped on other supporter bases for doing similar, too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We are far too quick to place expectations on the players. It's like 1993 turned our collective brains to mush.

Players a few games in and the next minute we all imagine them becoming superstars and fixing all our problems.

Merrett, gleeson and daniher all show something. As did hurley, zaka and heppell before that.

Once players get to that level of competent afl player, people are angry at them for not being as good as they hoped they would be, as if it's the players own fault for our lofty expectations.

I never really understood the idea we should unconditionally trust the coaching panel or leaders. The reality is they may be right and they may be wrong. Would you trust Knights to deliver? Did he? Would you trust unconditionally the same panel that that led to the largest sanctions and reputation loss the Bombers ever received? As a supporter I support my club and the players and coaching panel are part of the club not the club itself. I will make comments accordingly in what I feel will lead to the right direction/outcome for the club and every supporter has that right.

I never really understood the idea we should unconditionally trust the coaching panel or leaders. The reality is they may be right and they may be wrong. Would you trust Knights to deliver? Did he? Would you trust unconditionally the same panel that that led to the largest sanctions and reputation loss the Bombers ever received? As a supporter I support my club and the players and coaching panel are part of the club not the club itself. I will make comments accordingly in what I feel will lead to the right direction/outcome for the club and every supporter has that right.

Not saying things or people can't be questioned but when people grab one thing like a bone and litter every single thread with the same opinion over and over and over and over for days or sometimes weeks on end it gets really tiresome really quickly.

Lots of fair criticism on this board lately. If you don't like it go bury your head in the sand and come back when we win.

Unfortunately for Hepp he is carrying the midfield bar Watson and is getting clobbered and battered. People expect him to get it inside, then run with it outside and do it all. With Hocking and Myers out there is no protection for Hepp and Jobe as Zaka is not hard enough and the other guys aren't doing enough.

more pissed off at this illness that has ****ed the beginning of our season after a promising start

Not saying things or people can't be questioned but when people grab one thing like a bone and litter every single thread with the same opinion over and over and over and over for days or sometimes weeks on end it gets really tiresome really quickly.

Most people feel the need to repeat an opinion over and over because people keep arguing against that opinion.

For example, if hypothetically someone started a thread proposing that Carlisle and Hurley swapped.. and EVERYONE on this board immediately went.. yes yes that is a good idea. Then no one would need to re-iterate their opinion, one way or another, over and over.

This is a forum, there will be debate. When a team starts 2-4 there will be lots of debate. When a team is mediocre for 10+ years.. there will be lots of intense debate.

As mentioned, 56K of us signed on and paid good money to support this club, despite the s**t that went down last year.

Most people feel the need to repeat an opinion over and over because people keep arguing against that opinion.

For example, if hypothetically someone started a thread proposing that Carlisle and Hurley swapped.. and EVERYONE on this board immediately went.. yes yes that is a good idea. Then no one would need to re-iterate their opinion, one way or another, over and over.

This is a forum, there will be debate. When a team starts 2-4 there will be lots of debate. When a team is mediocre for 10+ years.. there will be lots of intense debate.

As mentioned, 56K of us signed on and paid good money to support this club, despite the s**t that went down last year.

There is debate and then there is childish keyboard mashing. Nobody is trying to stifle the former.

There is debate and then there is childish keyboard mashing. Nobody is trying to stifle the former.
Hmm I agree. Isn't it funny that the people who don't see your point of view are always the ones that are childish keyboard mashing..

Odd phenomena that.

Don't try and kid yourself or anyone else that that's what it is.

It is a well known psychological thing. Try google searching 'in groups' and 'out groups'. In short:

It's a well-known principle in social psychology that people define themselves in terms of social groupings and are quick to denigrate others who don't fit into those groups. Others who share our particular qualities are our "ingroup," and those who do not are our "outgroup."

Wasn't trying to say anything special, just mention that we are all human and we all behave this way. It is exactly the same in real life. We naturally tend to believe those who share our ideas (in group) are more intelligent and thoughful than those who do not share our ideas (out group).. very natural, very ok and not really that surprising.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back