Roast Improving as a supporter base; is improving as a club.

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm 25 years of age, so I'll go with yes.

You'd be a young puppy then.

It is not until you get older that you become more cynical, and begin sporting sexually gratuitous avatars :eek:

I love you all, this supporter base is amazing.

Weaker clubs would have fallen to pieces after the last 18 months, we've got record membership and a brand spanking new facility that is one of the best in the ******* world.

Other clubs supporters have never hated us more. This is a combative pursuit lads, that means we're doing a lot right.

Of course we back our people, but we can question them when we think they've made a mistake. That's ok, we're all passionate.

We still keep showing up in big crowds to support manically. We're not worried about "ugly" football. We're not selling OUR home games to the highest bidder like some cheap sidewalk prostitute ****. We're not burning membership cards, we're making #standbyhird cards.

* em

Go Bombers

The thing that I was so proud of last year was, despite the stresses of being supporters while that s**t storm was raging in its full fury around us and our club, that we were able to remain almost universally respectful of each other.

Respectful of each other's loyalty and passion for the club, respectful of the stresses we were collectively enduring as a supporter base, but most importantly, respectful of the right for each supporter for their own individual opinion. Not just respect for the right to an opinion either- respect for the right to express it.

Recently, this togetherness has frayed around the edges on this board, and that's a real pity. There's probably a fair argument to be made that to a degree, this is inevitable- like a delayed outpouring of frustration after all the rubbish of 2013. But I think a reminder of a few things would be pertinent:

-we're individuals that are bound together by one thing, and one thing only ultimately; we support the Essendon Football Club. This doesn't mean we can't question or criticise them if we believe it to be warranted, it means we all want the ultimate success; we all want Jobe Watson up there on the dias, collecting the premiership medal and quite possibly Norm Smith on top of that. That's what binds us all together. We are not, and I repeat, not, some amorphous hive mind where support for the ultimate success for EFC is underpinned by a stipulation that we all must support things being done in a certain way.

For some of us, that might mean you believe James Hird must return. For others, it means you believe Bomber must be kept on. For some, it might mean we need a fresh face. All are legitimate opinions and none of them consign those who believe it into being caste as lesser supporters of the club. That's just one example.

All I ask is that the furthering of your personal belief of what is best, in whatever area, is advanced appropriately, rationally and in context; it is repetition, often to the smothering and detriment of discussion and often not particularly in context of topical discussion, that is a detracting factor at present.

-sometimes, we come across individuals we just plain don't get along with. That's human nature. If this is the case, you have an ignore function and it is very appropriate you use it in those circumstances. What is unhelpful is when the same users keep sniping at each other.

Basically, people, we all want to see #17. Let's just keep that in mind before we go replying to the poster you see onscreen on the Essendon board.

While your free lesson on the intricacies of human psychology is interesting, ultimately it's of limited relevance here rines.

I'll say this once and for all, and this is for everyone's consumption.

No one is not allowed to express their opinion, and I'm utterly sick of the implication that that is the case. If you share your opinion and the majority happen to disagree with it, you will get taken to task for it by more than one person. That in itself is not a personal attack
, and the manner in which some spit the dummy when their opinion is challenged is very unhelpful to good discussion. It's getting to the point where we may consider carding transgressors.

I'll say another thing. This obsession with being vindicated is so useless. Is self worth and credibility really that closely tied to a few things posted on an Internet forum that people must constantly be reminded by it, ad nauseam, for year upon year afterwards?

Who cares if you were proven right on something years ago? It's very easy to cherry pick stuff we get right in hindsight. It's also very easy to cherry pick stuff we got wrong in hindsight. The point is, we're all right and wrong at some point, and frankly, it matters not a jot.

Classic case is me and Stanton and my 5 year ground war posting my not so flattering opinions on the way he plays.

I've been able to vent my spleen to the hundreds of different Essendon supporters who read this board and at the same time not be totally crucified by my fellow other hardcore, regular posters..........(I'm now warming to him and enjoying watching his current form).

This is what makes this board great..better then most others. Anyone can give their view. People will howl them down and argue for weeks..but in the end we'll all united in our love for the club and no one hates one another.

Let the nutters rave on I say. It's entertaining and funny to read the absurd dribble. You don't have to read it all.

I have trained my eye to skip over blandness. Posts that repeat the same message many times over. Try it..it's easy!! :)

You can usually tell the 'free thinkers' in a forum space, they will often have polarising opinions, be seen as a 'wild cat'

I've never heard of that term before. Except for that totally awesome Goldie Hawn film Wild Cats.

download (3).jpg

Last edited:
We did the same to Stanton; who's turned out to be one of the better gut runners in the comp in the last 15 years, behind only really Crawford and Harvey.
We did the same to Hooker; who's turned out to be one of the better KPD's in the competition.
We did the same to Melksham; who happens to have game breaking capabilities once he's found some form. Not to mention he killed Pendlebury before the umpires brought him back into the game.
Us supporters gave these players constructive criticism and made them the players that they are today!

Us supporters gave these players constructive criticism and made them the players that they are today!
Some posts need to telepathically have sarcasm emoticons attach to them when the author fails to do it themselves...

Recently, this togetherness has frayed around the edges on this board, and that's a real pity. There's probably a fair argument to be made that to a degree, this is inevitable- like a delayed outpouring of frustration after all the rubbish of 2013.

Certainly has in my case. I find myself FAR less patient with all things Essendon at the moment. Having had a think about it, I reckon it's because I feel like I'm OWED something on a personal level by the club, as silly as that sounds. Every time something doesn't go perfectly to plan (read lose a game), it's like someone reneging on a deal or something - I feel personally affronted.

By extension, tolerance of opinions that differ from mine is at a record low. Don't have the energy to argue with people anymore. Worse, for those that just genuinely irritate me have started blocking people at a rate of knots, including Essendon people - which I'm not sure is sustainable long term.

Last year was brutal as an Essendon fan. It was the fault of the club, the AFL, the media and imbecilic fans.

This year isn't anywhere near as hard, but I reckon I, and by the general tone of this board I'm not alone, am just bitter at the moment.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think you will find it also has a lot to do with our current position and whether we win. Our collective attitude can be summed up in pictures

Round 1 - Ess def. Norf 99-60

hy-300x300.jpg

Round 2 - Ess def by Haw 86-90

freddie-so-close.png

Round 3 - Ess def. Carl 138-57

Snoopy.gif

Round 4 - Ess def by Freo 60-113

is_it_over_yet-380x285.jpg

Round 5 - Ess def by St.Kilda 65-81

7045873525_b2c9787fa1.jpg

Round 6 - Ess def by Coll 60-83

1323129813362.jpg

Don't worry guys. We'll be back up and about if we start being more successful on the field.

It pays to remember that post loss, things almost always seem worse than what the reality is. And vice versa, too.

Obviously as fans you live vicariously through the team's fortunes on a week by week basis, but it's always good to keep the bigger picture in mind.

It pays to remember that post loss, things almost always seem worse than what the reality is. And vice versa, too.

Obviously as fans you live vicariously through the team's fortunes on a week by week basis, but it's always good to keep the bigger picture in mind.

Think I'm gonna go with a personal ban on posting for the night immediately following a loss. :D

Agree with OP generally. At Anzac day, I was sitting Level 1, m50, JJ17 (I think) where I had reserved a seat for the value $40 o_O

Anyway, from pretty early on in the match (read: Q2) there were rumblings from a bloke or two in the row behind against our boys. Later, this developed in the last quarter to the bloke standing up and shouting about how s**t he thought Hurley was. Suffice to say, I yelled, "Sit down, you fool", but was advised that Hurley was actually s**t, which I suppose was the confirmation of the opinion to justify the abuse of his own player.

I'm verbal at the footy. It's usually a shout before a centre bounce, a gleeful yell after a goal or a non-PG word cast out indirectly in frustration. For the life of me, I cannot understand blokes sinking the boot into their own players like that in that manner. Sure, I turn to my mate and have a whinge about someone's poor effort or disposal, but then move on and urge them on at the next contest.

It's 'supporters' like the one I've described who are a blight on the club (and any club, as it's not peculiar to other clubs) and just don't provide anything constructive.

A similar type of reactionary outburst is often seen online, as people vent in their own way. Venting is about expressing frustration and looking for some solidarity from others who understand what you understand and can share your hopes and rantings. However, to simply come in and pollute everything with non-constructive ravings is both pointless and degrading. Who does it benefit?

Discussion is the means in which we are able to enjoy the game, even losses, and plan about how the team might be able to tweak this or that so that it may be a step closer to success. Simply panning the status quo doesn't assist, muddies the discussion and probably isn't that cathartic anyway.

How often do clubs win flags? It's more about enjoying the continuing journey of a team that evolves on the path to success, rather than simply the end result. If people aren't getting anything from supporting at the moment, probably should find a new hobby and stop ruining it for everyone else.

It's still April, and we've had already some peaks and troughs. Most of the list is down on 2013 output, so there is a lot to look forward to in the rest of the season - especially when your coaching staff have told you that the pre-season and training has been specifically geared towards being able to fire in the second half. Just have to wait it out. I'll be heading to the dogs game on Saturday night, and even if we lose, I'll be back again, because I love this club and believe in the pursuit of success that we're all in it for.

Anyway, from pretty early on in the match (read: Q2) there were rumblings from a bloke or two in the row behind against our boys. Later, this developed in the last quarter to the bloke standing up and shouting about how s**t he thought Hurley was. Suffice to say, I yelled, "Sit down, you fool", but was advised that Hurley was actually s**t, which I suppose was the confirmation of the opinion to justify the abuse of his own player.

Yeah don't get that.

In my own space, at home in front of the TV I'll drop an F-Bomb at the screen or something like it, but I never abuse players or the team when I'm at the ground, mainly because I don't want to look like the bloke you mentioned.

That, and so many women and children at the footy nowadays; pull your head in geez.....

I don't get that at all. There's so many opposition players you can abuse for all manner of things, you don't ever need to start on your own.

For instance this week: Abuse Crameri. Refer to potential and it never being reached for Liam Jones. Call Cooney a one hit wonder. Ask Michael Talia how it's possible to be less damaging by foot than his brother. Ask Bob Murphy, Matthew Boyd and Dale Morris what it's like wasting your life at a pointless club. Rinse, repeat.

The thing I can't and won't ever buy is that wanton abuse of your own players signifies just how deep their passion and desire as a supporter goes.

No, it does not. It just indicates that they have a rather sad desire to put others down. I, and indeed 99.99% of supporters want their club and players to succeed, and when they stuff up, yes that comes out as an exacerbated exclamation of "oh FFS player x, hit a target".

That's normal and is fine. Going out of one's way to repeatedly and actively put a player on your team down is another matter, and I have absolutely no time for people that do.

I was talking to someone I know after the Saints game, and remarked that Stanton was easily best afield for us. His reply? "Yeah, that's a shame". Knowing this person, I can absolutely 100% guarantee that it was a shame in their eyes not because it meant that Watson, or Carlisle, or whoever else, had had ordinary games, but because it went against his preconceived dislike of Stanton.

It's a mindset that I just don't get, and never will.

I don't get that at all. There's so many opposition players you can abuse for all manner of things, you don't ever need to start on your own.

For instance this week: Abuse Crameri. Refer to potential and it never being reached for Liam Jones. Call Cooney a one hit wonder. Ask Michael Talia how it's possible to be less damaging by foot than his brother. Ask Bob Murphy, Matthew Boyd and Dale Morris what it's like wasting your life at a pointless club. Rinse, repeat.

I was just planning to not show up, keep the crowd size small. Make Stew feel comfy in his new surroundings

Every club has supporters who relentlessly bag their own. We certainly have ours.

My approach is treat them exactly as I would any opposition fan - because for all intents and purposes, that's what they are.

I ignore

If they go over the top I tell them to give it a spell and remind thm they're talking s**t

When the player invariably makes them look like a fool, I give it to them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back