Roast Improving as a supporter base; is improving as a club.

Remove this Banner Ad

I remember being at a game against the scum in the early 2000's, and some flog Dons supporter was abusing Dean Rioli - 'get off the turtle Rioli', etc etc.

Nek minnit Dean has swooped on a ball on the wing, fended off two Blues players and hit Velvet on the chest with a 50m bullet, lace out. All class.

Geez did I give it to the Dons flog

I hate the club, the players and especially the supporters. And I will abuse each and every one of them as I see fit.
Oh, so you're the abusive, angry and ignorant prick who sits 2 rows behind me and won't shut up about how bad we are!

This reminds me of Anzac Day in 2011. Had the misfortune to sit in front of two bogan Collingwood supporters who spent the day abusing ( no swearing ) essendon players. They were drinking from cups of beer as they continued their abuse, and every time they screamed their lungs out, drops of beer fell ou our backs. Into the third quarter the wife got sick of the beer falling on our backs, turned around glared at the two guys and advised them to take better care of their beer. This definitely quietened down the two bogans.

Why do we have a few untouchables on this board? Why is Heppell exempt from criticism, when his footskills are far below what he's capable of, week after week? Playing the "kid" card is lazy, he's good enough to be considered in the topline midfield group, so he should be held to that standard.

Incidentally, the umpires didn't get Pendles back into the game - Melksham got Pendles back into the game with some ridiculous holding efforts.

Not that i totally disagree with what you say about Heppell and his foot skills but i did get a laugh when i read this considering how you used
to defends Stants to the max against anyone who dared question him :p

I think it comes down to immaturity of people on this board Bipolarbear

I can be guilty of it too. As someone who loves this club I can get very heated. Go and visit the Geelong board, the Collingwood board even (I know they are 'winning' clubs but that doesn't matter, even after losses they are a good bunch to read).

They are an informative bunch who will listen and take into account another posters p.o.v. We seem to get up on our high horse and not want to lister to others.

As BtG mentioned, some are exempt from criticism, looking on those other boards, EVERYONE is criticised with passion but fairly after a poor showing.

I only dream that our board would go back to the way it was when i first joined (back in 2007 - far out!! where did that time go?). You had some highly knowledgable people who would inform of us youngsters from a different p.o.v but a right one, inform us of the young talent coming through. I probably wouldn't be as passionate about the VFL if it weren't for the great ant555 who was seemingly pushed off these boards for other reasons left unsaid.

As BpB said, let the guys who the club think are the best candidates to teach our players the way to win and watch gleefully watch on with the development. It will come together. I know times are tough, but let's stick together.

Having a close encounter with death and spending time in ICU tends to change your view on priorities in life and bantering with idiots like bombersno1 is not on my list anymore:D
Just for you on the Kav front, returned to training this week. Played pretty well in the VFL praccy match against Richmond but suffered an injury in the last quarter.

Not that i totally disagree with what you say about Heppell and his foot skills but i did get a laugh when i read this considering how you used
to defends Stants to the max against anyone who dared question him :p

My point is more that as a supporter base we turn on players regardless of form. Stanton and Hooker have been our best 2 players this year by a mile yet they'll cop more criticism than Heppell in the outer. It's obscene.

I'm thrilled with how Heppell is progressing when I step back and look at him as a fourth year player. I also think he's good enough to be judged as a 150 game player.

Having a close encounter with death and spending time in ICU tends to change your view on priorities in life and bantering with idiots like bombersno1 is not on my list anymore:D
Just for you on the Kav front, returned to training this week. Played pretty well in the VFL praccy match against Richmond but suffered an injury in the last quarter.

Hope everything's OK now!

The ignore function on this new software is amazing. I don't see very many posts these days, but it makes reading the boards a lot more enjoyable.

We have a history of turning on players. My father who is one eyed Bombers for years slagged off Paul Salmon. He called him the BUS - big useless s**t.
I hated going to the footy with him.
I never realised the impact of it until I watched Open Mike with Paul Salmon where he spoke about being booed off the ground

I think the following sums it up. It was written in the first Flying High, the history of the Essendon FC in 1982.
The club has developed a cult following, a reason for living to an army of fans. A loyal Essendon supporter would not
readily stand back and hear it denigrated although he would not be adverse to criticising it himself.
An Essendon supporter is always optimistic and takes defeat badly. His football team are heros in victory and devils in defeat.

Seems to be in our DNA as supporters to take the long handle to some when things are not going well.

I have to confess that I almost canceled my account on here after the Anzac Day game. Not because I was disappointed that we lost. I was, but it wasn't just that. I realised that I don't enjoy footy as much as I used to before I posted on Big Footy. Before I posted on Big Footy I used to be much more upbeat about a loss, and whether we won or lost would enjoy the game. Now, because of the pessimism amongst our own supporters on this board, as well as the gloating by oppositon supporters on this site, I now get much more despondent about a loss. I just want to enjoy footy again for the spectacle and not be concerned or worried about what some anonymous people on a internet forum say. I decided against canceling but is something I will consider at some stage in the future.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back