Autopsy In a very unconvincing last qtr pies win by 39 points and go to 2nd on the ladder!

Remove this Banner Ad

You fluiding up?

It’s very specific posting to noting that some good players are out. That’s all.
They likely (most) won’t join us in the clouds or on the ground.
We won’t see Wells at all. We likely battle to get Elliott back.
Ofcourse.

Now that I’m enjoying it up here in the clouds, back to the fluid intake.
I am in Bangkok where it's only 11.30 am and far too early to 'fluid up'. As you say, very few of these guys have any chance of returning this year, so it's an academic exercise determining who they might replace if available. Some hard decisions need to be made on the likes of Wells, Varcoe, Moore and others who probably have their names engraved on the rehab benches and equipment. If we could get a good first round pick for Moore, I'd let him go in a heartbeat. He's as brittle as a matchstick with osteoporosis. If there is a glimmer of hope that Elliott may yet string together half a season of games, perhaps we need to take the risk and keep him, but we cannot afford more than our fair share of players who suffer from premature aging or chronically broken down bodies.

Last edited:
Last night I was annoyed we didn't take the opportunity to increase our %, today I am looking at it differently.
Better to have a poor last quarter, something for the boys and coaches to work on for Sunday v Bumbers.
If it was an easy witches hats win, then they wouldn't have learnt anything.
Last night they learnt that you have to be switched on for 4 quarters if you really want to challenge.

I got bogged in my HK wagon at Waverley one Saturday arvo.
I locked my keys in the car 2 weeks in a row. The cops caught me trying to break in the first time and produced a piece of tape used to bind bundles of newspapers and showed me how to slip it through the window to unlock the door. Then next week I made the same mistake but didn't have any tape this time. Somehow I found a piece and broke in. Couldn't believe my stupidity.

I locked my keys in the car 2 weeks in a row. The cops caught me trying to break in the first time and produced a piece of tape used to bind bundles of newspapers and showed me how to slip it through the window to unlock the door. Then next week I made the same mistake but didn't have any tape this time. Somehow I found a piece and broke in. Couldn't believe my stupidity.

The other classic at Waverley was the regular occurrence of the ground announcer on the PA saying “owner of registration ABC123 you have left your engine running”. The good old days ...

Last night I was annoyed we didn't take the opportunity to increase our %, today I am looking at it differently.
Better to have a poor last quarter, something for the boys and coaches to work on for Sunday v Bumbers.
If it was an easy witches hats win, then they wouldn't have learnt anything.
Last night they learnt that you have to be switched on for 4 quarters if you really want to challenge.

Showed how Crap the Suns are. We played Poorly for 3 Qtrs and we still won easily

The results this weekend keep getting better. Saints do over the Demons. Our chances of making the eight have risen with nearly every game.

With the Roos / Bombers game we can’t lose

Not sure heat stroke has been mentioned at all.

Just some who have lived in humid conditions are suggesting humidity can have a causal affect.
In my house which was toasty warm and drinking a White Russian (the dude abides) I didn’t feel the humidity at all.

Having been many times to cairns and loving it there, the humidity is terrific but it is also sapping if doing high level exercise.
But they still should have executed better.

Come on Saintly, I don't mean actual heatstroke! :)

I live less than an hour from Metricon and our kids (who grew up in Canberra until recently) had jumpers on last night.

It was fine.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The results this weekend keep getting better. Saints do over the Demons. Our chances of making the eight have risen with nearly every game.

With the Roos / Bombers game we can’t lose

Spot on and as much as I dislike Essendon, the preferred result for us is they win as it puts North further behind in that 7 - 10 range in the ladder. I don’t for a moment think we’ll end the season in the top 4 so as much of a gap we can get in fighting for a spot in the bottom half of the 8 is a bonus.

Come on Saintly, I don't mean actual heatstroke! :)

I live less than an hour from Metricon and our kids (who grew up in Canberra until recently) had jumpers on last night.

It was fine.
Fair point then.
My bad

Spot on and as much as I dislike Essendon, the preferred result for us is they win as it puts North further behind in that 7 - 10 range in the ladder. I don’t for a moment think we’ll end the season in the top 4 so as much of a gap we can get in fighting for a spot in the bottom half of the 8 is a bonus.

Think I prefer a Roos win. Might just dim the finals dream for the Bombers which will make next week a little easier.

Or it might put them in the last chance saloon which makes it harder for us.

Not sure which result is better. Just know both are good.

Just a random thought from me but the quality of the commentators is so bad. Don’t they realise it is TV and we have vision of what is happening on the field? No need for a play by play running description of what is happening on the field, we have eyes & it’s not radio. It is absolute drivel and Brayshaw is up there as the worst of a bad lot.

Just a random thought from me but the quality of the commentators is so bad. Don’t they realise it is TV and we have vision of what is happening on the field? No need for a play by play running description of what is happening on the field, we have eyes & it’s not radio. It is absolute drivel and Brayshaw is up there as the worst of a bad lot.
Ermmm and for viewers with low vision??

Buckley’s presser was remarkably insightful mostly because he was overtly critical. Like me he tends toward it as his baseline, but for him to express his displeasure with the last 40 minutes was intriguing.

Good write up Sco. You get extra points for having the Kuhunas to talk up Bucks while comparing him to yourself. Gutsy stuff.

Am currently suffering in Bali where Australia 1 decided broadcasting the GWS v Hawks match was more important. Walk into a sports bar and there are 10 screens showing them. Had to make do what th some radio.

As such can't comment on the match but the vitriol in this thread is interesting. As a general principle a 39 point interstate win with a pile of injuries and a humid night is bankable. 6 in a row is great and 2nd position is remarkable. We still find ourselves in a more and more unique position.

2nd position and only one win against any on the top 10 teams is unheard of. Current we are 9 for 9 against the bottom 8 teams and 1 for 5 against the top 10 teams. Quirk of the draw and we have done exceptionally well not to drop anything to the bottom 8. It's why I wouldn't worry too much about last night. Most of the top 8 have dropped easy games and we haven't which is why we are where we are.

Big thing is no one including ourselves really knows if we have improved much until we play and beat some of the teams around in the weeks ahead. Interesting.

Last edited:
I prefer it otherwise they talk crap about nothing.

I liked the post above with the injured that are best 22 talent.

I’d agree on these players as certain top 22 (assuming fully healthy) or with little to no doubt:

• Wells
  • Elliott
  • Treloar
  • Varcoe
  • Reid
  • Moore

Then there is the players that are on the periphery or not certain these days:

• Fasolo (as we’ve seen not at auto selection)
  • Goldsack (assuming full pre season but does he now certainly pass Varcoe, Scharenberg, Langdon, Maynard, Crisp... not sure he does. Great Club man!)
  • Aish (If he returns to what we saw then he’ll become a certain 22 but let’s see it again, but close)
  • Greenwood (loved by the coaches but is he certainty, not sure he is.)
  • Broomhead (at this stage depth player in truth but skilled, and Grundy loves hm.)

Then there are the obvious depth only players Blair, Smith etc.

One could even say these days Reid and Moore are not quite certain but I would caution this by saying when they are fully fit they still play.

Fascinating how much depth we’ve built.

Biggest cruel injury:

Elliott!

Depth? Probably due to good development that has been lacking for some years now.

A lot of posters on here doubted the potential of the list, under rated the up to 50 gamers. They've bought in and have for some time and now the coaching panel is getting the fruits out of them - and we still haven't reached our best yet IMHO.

If commentators were banned from using the cliche "lowers his eyes" it would reduce their commentary by 80%

Remove this Banner Ad

Back