Autopsy In a very unconvincing last qtr pies win by 39 points and go to 2nd on the ladder!

Remove this Banner Ad

If it’s a week off type thing then stick with what we have down back and tune the mids in to be on defensively

Just on that Sco dog, I'd argue that our team defence as a whole has been an improvement this year. In saying that I wouldn't want to see the panel instruct the mids to change ways and play a defensive mind set - would break their continuity.

What would be better is bring that pressure phone box stuff that allows us to win clearances and transition the footy that exposes the opposition to be out of position. Much like the dees and crows wins.

Play that game and the team defence looks after itself. Sure Dunny not being there marshalling the troops is not ideal but we can cover it but we don't need to alter our mids game style to do it. They are already "on" defensively in most games - last night not so.

The thing about us only beating 1 team in the current 8 maybe true but both the Dees and The Crows were going okay before losing to us,the Crows beat Richmond the home game before us and Melbourne were flying too.

I think we have improved but I think next 2 or 3 games will tell us if this is so,I think Richmond are out of our range atm but the others are not a lot better than us and we have everything to play for.

Last edited:
Serious question folks

Is McLarty ready to take Dunn’s place if Dunn is out longer term?

Vice like grip but ? Is he ready?

He is a natural defender, but I believe he is training and playing ruck/forward roles? Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

And yeah he's got sticky mits, I believe he would be ready not only because of his form in the 2s but the way new players can come in and execute instruction:clapping::clapping::clapping:

Those claps are for the panel btw - if players like Mihocek and Sier can come in and immediately execute the role as instructed then there's no reason Sammy can't do likewise

He is a natural defender, but I believe he is training and playing ruck/forward roles? Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

And yeah he's got sticky mits, I believe he would be ready not only because of his form in the 2s but the way new players can come in and execute instruction:clapping::clapping::clapping:

Those claps are for the panel btw - if players like Mihocek and Sier can come in and immediately execute the role as instructed then there's no reason Sammy can't do likewise
I like your rationale.

On this, I can’t recall a year with better uptake of newbies executing roles as well as this year.

It’s an important point, good pick up!

I think a few posters are right to point how bad our last quarter and a half was, but to paint a fair picture of the game let's not forget how good we were for another quarter and a half, from the start of the second to midway through the third. In that good period we could recognise the 2018 Collingwood playing style and we were getting into gear and in control through defensive chains and gaining possession back when it was stripped of us in the first.

Now about that bad period. I hadn't heard Bucks' comments or checked the bench stats, but during the game I was commenting on how surprising it was that our guys looked stuffed in the last, huffing and puffing, looking like they've been challenged in a most intense game when it shouldn't be. Part of it can be the humidity but I definitely think the interchange stuff up played a role (only 77/90 interchanges in such a game... why?!).

What's more worrying to me is that we are starting to see our depth tested. We've done well so far to alleviate injuries but we've been relying on B and C-grade players to fill roles to a high level in our wins, and we're now seeing the limitations of it. At some point, good structures or not we're starting to lose too much talent and at a very bad time considering we are about to enter a very tough part of our draw with Essendon, WC, North, Richmond and Sydney in a row.

In these top games to me top players stand out more than structures. To put things in perspective I've listed below who I think are in the top 10 most talented players on our list (A grade or closest to it, in no specifc order) and crossed the ones who are injured. I know it's a subjective list and you can argue around the edges but it paints an interesting story:
Pendlebury
Treloar
Grundy
Elliott
Wells

De Goey
Howe
Sidebottom
Stephenson

Moore

We're entering dangerous territory there if you add this to the pure numbers game of our injuries as it's testing our mid level at the same time (Aish, Varcoe, Fas etc.). I know we've all loved games from players like Mihocek, Sier coming in, Mayne's come back story etc. But 4 of our best 10 and most talented players out is not boding well for our ability to take on better teams than Carlton and GC.

We'll learn from the game on the coaching front, move on and try to survive another week and hope we get good ins on the injury front in the next fortnight. But let's not get ahead of ourselves like we did in Q3 as we're not 'there' yet as a team and still have to prove ourselves before we can afford to cruise in games.

Except that Mihochek and Sier both had excellent VFL form when promoted whereas McLarty has done very little in recent weeks. Hopefully but most unlikely Dunn is cleared to play because McLarty is not ready to play senior football.

Except that Mihochek and Sier both had excellent VFL form when promoted whereas McLarty has done very little in recent weeks. Hopefully but most unlikely Dunn is cleared to play because McLarty is not ready to play senior football.

Not so certain that he's not ready, sure his recent form in the 2s hasn't been great but I'd argue he hasn't made a debut in the 1s purely on the back of there hasn't been a spot for him - now there may be room. He has played most of his footy as a KPD and even though he's been playing ruck/forward roles recently that doesn't mean he couldn't step up and take on the FB position in place of Dunny.

The common theme this year has been that debutantes have come in (by necessity) and performed the roles that have been asked of them, the coaching panel should be applauded as much as the players coming in for those successes.

Not so certain that he's not ready, sure his recent form in the 2s hasn't been great but I'd argue he hasn't made a debut in the 1s purely on the back of there hasn't been a spot for him - now there may be room. He has played most of his footy as a KPD and even though he's been playing ruck/forward roles recently that doesn't mean he couldn't step up and take on the FB position in place of Dunny.

The common theme this year has been that debutantes have come in (by necessity) and performed the roles that have been asked of them, the coaching panel should be applauded as much as the players coming in for those successes.
But the players who have come in of necessity have had form - McLarty did but currently doesn't.

Lol when a Essendon supporter makes more sense then some Pies fans on here. Good post mate. Can't believe the reactions on here. The ones complaining are probably the same ones who said we would be near the bottom of the ladder. We have had so many injuries yet are second. That's a great achievement.
hell yeah....thanks all for the support onmy post...i didnt do it for recgniton it did it cause...your team was being ridiculed for no reason...and my boy is part of your team......im happy he is playing for a close knit team that allows him to flourish......hes a fooking star and needs to be in a good enviroment....seems this has happened ...to hear quotes like...that was trash, season gone cause treloar was injured...our forward line is crap.....omgggggggggg ffssssssssss.......hahahahah anyway cheers.....looking forward to meeting you guys next week.....ive been given the honour of being my lads guest next week and sit with my mates..( his parents ) and go into the rooms at games end...mixed emotions for sure.....i wanna see sad faces but i wanna see jaidos rejoice....tough gig this hahaha

hell yeah....thanks all for the support onmy post...i didnt do it for recgniton it did it cause...your team was being ridiculed for no reason...and my boy is part of your team......im happy he is playing for a close knit team that allows him to flourish......hes a fooking star and needs to be in a good enviroment....seems this has happened ...to hear quotes like...that was trash, season gone cause treloar was injured...our forward line is crap.....omgggggggggg ffssssssssss.......hahahahah anyway cheers.....looking forward to meeting you guys next week.....ive been given the honour of being my lads guest next week and sit with my mates..( his parents ) and go into the rooms at games end...mixed emotions for sure.....i wanna see sad faces but i wanna see jaidos rejoice....tough gig this hahaha
Those who posted that the standard or effort given were less than there their own have no understanding of elite sport.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But the players who have come in of necessity have had form - McLarty did but currently doesn't.

Fair point, but like I said that doesn't guarantee he wouldn't be able to perform at the top level. In reality we're speculating but your argument is more likely than mine. However I have every confidence he'd be able to the only relevance is what the club does and may be forced into debuting him.

If we keep winning, at the end of the season the running commentary will be:

We’ve only beaten teams below us :p

Fair point, but like I said that doesn't guarantee he wouldn't be able to perform at the top level. In reality we're speculating but your argument is more likely than mine. However I have every confidence he'd be able to the only relevance is what the club does and may be forced into debuting him.
If Dunn is injured, McLarty is next in line for his defensive role. There is no one else.

For all its worth I'll take a scrapping 39 point interstate win over the Suns instead of dropping games to teams around or below us, like the Dees did today. Percentage means nothing if we don't bank the 4 points and right now that's all we need to keep doing. Go Pies!

For all its worth I'll take a scrapping 39 point interstate win over the Suns instead of dropping games to teams around or below us, like the Dees did today. Percentage means nothing if we don't bank the 4 points and right now that's all we need to keep doing. Go Pies!

Yeah, exactly. There lays the reason we're second on the ladder currently. Are we the second best side in the comp? Probably not, but we've beaten most sides we should beat. Not everyone can say that.

That said we should've beaten Geelong!

In an underwhelming contest, Collingwood overcame a sluggish start & sloppy finish to defeat Gold Coast at Metricon Stadium. The Magpies climbed up the ladder to 2nd place, and won every game in June without fail. The Suns had the ascendancy in centre clearances by +7 (17 -7), +16 for marks (101 - 85), took 6 more contested marks (12 -6), and laid 10 more tackles Inside 50 (14 - 4), while recording an advantage of +6 in Inside 50’s (58 - 52). Collingwood’s key indicators in their favour were disposals by +14 (411 - 397), edged their nose in front of contested possessions by +2 (164 - 162), monopolised uncontested possessions by +25 (256 - 231), dominated stoppage clearances, which was +15 (37 - 22), while taking 6 more marks Inside 50 than Gold Coast (11 - 5). This was a crucial factor in the game that enable Collingwood to put the game beyond reach for the Suns. The margin Collingwood built was too much for the Suns to overcome.

Brodie Grundy (23 disposals @ 65%, 15 contested possessions, 286 metres gained, 49 hit-outs, 3 marks, 9 tackles, 4 intercept possessions, 5 score involvements, 7 clearances, 6 stoppage clearances & 2 Inside 50’s) was Collingwood’s most instrumental player, despite missing two shots at goal that would have raised his game a bit higher than what it was. Taylor Adams (30 disposals @ 60%, 17 contested possessions, 256 metres gained, 4 marks, 2 tackles, 9 score involvements, 3 intercept possessions, 8 clearances, 8 stoppage clearances & 2 Inside 50’s) gave Collingwood a hard edge without using the ball overly well. Scott Pendlebury (25 disposals @ 80%, 11 contested possessions, 461 metres gained, 7 tackles, 5 score involvements, 6 clearances, 3 centre clearances, 3 stoppage clearances, 2 Rebound 50’s, 5 Inside 50’s & 1 goal) played his most clinical game of the season, while Steele Sidebottom (24 disposals @ 71%, 6 contested possessions, 343 metres gained, 2 marks, 5 tackles, 5 score involvements, 4 intercept possessions, 3 Rebound 50’s & 5 Inside 50’s) was good without being great. Tom Phillips (26 disposals @ 73%, 7 contested possessions, 533 metres gained, 7 marks, 2 tackles, 4 score involvements, 5 intercept possessions, 3 clearances, 3 stoppage clearances, 4 Rebound 50’s & 2 Inside 50’s) covered plenty of territory without having a huge influence. Chris Mayne (23 disposals @ 78%, 8 contested possessions, 271 metres gained, 8 marks, 4 tackles, 8 score involvements, 5 intercept possessions, 3 clearances, 3 stoppage clearances & 6 Rebound 50’s) saved Collingwood’s bacon countless times by being prepared to take intercept marks in defence. Brayden Sier (19 disposals @ 84%, 6 contested possessions, 406 metres gained, 3 marks, 6 tackles, 5 score involvements, 3 clearances, 2 stoppage clearances & 6 Inside 50’s) made an impression on debut, proving to himself that he belongs at AFL level and Josh Daicos (18 disposals @ 83%, 6 contested possessions, 248 metres gained, 2 marks, 5 tackles, 3 score involvements, 3 clearances, 3 stoppage clearances & 2 Inside 50’s) played his role well on the wing.

Jack Crisp (22 disposals @ 64%, 8 contested possessions, 426 metres gained, 2 marks, 4 tackles, 2 score involvements, 6 intercept possessions, 2 Rebound 50’s & 5 Inside 50’s) continues to be a barometer when he runs through the corridor and near the forward arc while Collingwood are in transition. Matthew Scharenberg (20 disposals @ 80%, 4 contested possessions, 264 metres gained, 9 marks, 2 tackles, 5 intercept possessions & 3 Rebound 50’s) is having a fine season with his intercept marking in defence. Jeremy Howe (20 disposals @ 75%, 7 contested possessions, 362 metres gained, 5 marks, 2 tackles, 2 score involvements, 5 intercept possessions, 2 clearances, 2 stoppage clearances & 6 Rebound 50’s) and Tom Langdon (21 disposals @ 76%, 10 contested possessions, 271 metres gained, 4 marks, 2 score involvements, 9 intercept possessions & 3 Rebound 50’s) were solid distributors of the footy from the back half. Brayden Maynard (16 disposals @ 75%, 7 contested possessions, 351 metres gained, 4 tackles, 2 score involvements, 7 intercept possessions, 3 Inside 50’s & 1 goal) played his most damaging game of the season.

Josh Thomas (22 disposals @ 82%, 11 contested possessions, 308 metres gained, 3 marks, 2 marks Inside 50, 3 tackles, 10 score involvements, 4 intercept possessions, 3 clearances, 3 stoppage clearances & 4 goals) was easily Collingwood’s best forward with his scoreboard impact. Jaidyn Stephenson (13 disposals @ 69%, 6 contested possessions, 236 metres gained, 2 marks, 2 marks Inside 50, 2 tackles, 8 score involvements, 2 intercept possessions, 5 Inside 50’s & 3 goals) continues to take all before him in his first season. Jordan De Goey (14 disposals @ 57%, 6 contested possessions, 357 metres gained, 5 marks, 2 marks Inside 50, 5 score involvements, 2 intercept possessions, 5 Inside 50’s & 2 goals) did some damage with his disposals without being brilliant. Ben Crocker (18 disposals @ 89%, 7 contested possessions, 319 metres gained, 9 marks, 2 tackles, 4 score involvements, 6 intercept possessions, 2 clearances, 2 stoppage clearances, 2 Rebound 50’s, 3 Inside 50’s & 1 goal) played very well with his link-up marks on the flanks. Brody Mihocek (15 disposals @ 73%, 7 contested possessions, 223 metres gained, 4 marks, 2 marks Inside 50, 3 tackles, 5 score involvements, 7 intercept possessions, 5 Rebound 50’s & 1 goal) competed well, while Mason Cox (8 disposals @ 62%, 3 contested possessions, 164 metres gained, 3 marks, 6 hit-outs, 5 score involvements & 1 goal) was quiet but stayed involved throughout the game.

Jarryd Lyons (32 disposals @ 72%, 20 contested possessions, 419 metres gained, 3 marks, 6 tackles, 4 score involvements, 6 intercept possessions, 12 clearances, 5 centre clearances, 7 stoppage clearances & 5 Inside 50's) played his best game for Gold Coast since leaving the Crows. Lyons & Touk Miller (33 disposals @ 67%, 15 contested possessions, 457 metres gained, 6 marks, 3 tackles, 4 score involvements, 3 intercept possessions, 7 clearances, 4 centre clearances, 3 stoppage clearances, 6 Rebound 50's & 5 Inside 50's) were responsible for the advantage in centre clearances, David Swallow (31 disposals @ 68%, 14 contested possessions, 391 metres gained, 6 marks, 6 tackles, 6 score involvements, 6 intercept possessions, 4 clearances, 3 stoppage clearances, 3 Rebound 50's & 5 Inside 50's) was excellent all over the ground, while Jack Martin (22 disposals @ 73%, 9 contested possessions, 236 metres gained, 4 marks, 4 tackles, 2 tackles Inside 50, 5 score involvements, 4 clearances, 3 centre clearances, 6 Inside 50's & 1 goal) showed a bit of polish with his ball use.

Steve May (25 disposals @ 68%, 8 contested possessions, 363 metres gained, 14 marks & 2 Rebound 50's), Jarrod Harbow (29 disposals @ 66%, 7 contested possessions, 567 metres gained, 12 marks, 2 score involvements, 11 intercept possessions, 5 Rebound 50's & 3 Inside 50's) and Lachie Weller (26 disposals @ 81%, 5 contested possessions, 733 metres gained, 10 marks, 3 tackles, 5 score involvements, 3 clearances, 2 centre clearances, 6 Rebound 50's & 6 Inside 50's) gave the Suns control in the air with plenty of marks and forward half territory. Nick Holman (18 disposals @ 67%, 9 contested possessions, 250 metres gained, 3 marks, 5 tackles, 2 tackles Inside 50, 2 goal assists, 5 score involvements, 3 intercept possessions, 3 Inside 50's & 2 goals) was the only player for the Suns to kick multiple goals.

Next assignment for Collingwood will be against Essendon, who have become a resurgent force over the past month. It will be a compelling encounter when July 8 elapses at the MCG.

Am currently suffering in Bali where Australia 1 decided broadcasting the GWS v Hawks match was more important. Walk into a sports bar and there are 10 screens showing them. Had to make do what th some radio.

As such can't comment on the match but the vitriol in this thread is interesting. As a general principle a 39 point interstate win with a pile of injuries and a humid night is bankable. 6 in a row is great and 2nd position is remarkable. We still find ourselves in a more and more unique position.

2nd position and only one win against any on the top 10 teams is unheard of. Current we are 9 for 9 against the bottom 8 teams and 1 for 5 against the top 10 teams. Quirk of the draw and we have done exceptionally well not to drop anything to the bottom 8. It's why I wouldn't worry too much about last night. Most of the top 8 have dropped easy games and we haven't which is why we are where we are.

Big thing is no one including ourselves really knows if we have improved much until we play and beat some of the teams around in the weeks ahead. Interesting.

Think you should spend more time enjoying Bali and less on BigFooty.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Serious question folks

Is McLarty ready to take Dunn’s place if Dunn is out longer term?

Vice like grip but ? Is he ready?

Isn't Oxley next in line KPD at VFL level?

Last edited:
I’ve been thinking a little bit about people commenting on us. I’ve got a few points I wanna make:

1. Yes, our draw has been fairly nice so far and the real test is still to come BUT the draw was the same at round 1 as it is now and people weren’t tipping us to be 10-4 and second on the ladder after round 15. So whilst the draw has been somewhat favourable, it’s easy to sit there and say we’ve beaten no one, but you weren’t even tipping us to beat those no one’s.

2. Expanding on the above point. In years gone by we’ve been beaten by the likes of Carlton, St.Kilda, Bulldogs, Fremantle etc. Now this year we’re beating teams that are gonna make or break our ladder position.

3. We lost 2 of our first 2. We’ve only lost another 2 in our next 12 starts. Tell me you were expecting us to do that after we dropped our first two games. If I recall correctly, people were picking us to be 0-6 after the Richmond game.

4. Haters gonna hate if we win, haters gonna hate if we lose. So it really doesn’t bother me that people are sooking that we’ve had a supposedly easy draw.

Come on Saintly, I don't mean actual heatstroke! :)

I live less than an hour from Metricon and our kids (who grew up in Canberra until recently) had jumpers on last night.

It was fine.

Your kids run 12-13kms, much of it while wrestling with another big burly individual?

Thought he was better today.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back