YelloMit

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 2, 2006
Canberra
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Milwaukee Bucks
This is the first time Freo is playing in Canberra since 2002. I wanna see if anyone would consider a small meet up before the game and go sit together or something? I'm gonna go early to buy a ticket (hate buying online, prefer doing it at the venue). If not, then fair enough.

Would love to go up to Canberra for three or four days and just spend a day each at a museum. What's it like these days? Many pubs? Much of a beating heart?

Canberra Docker here. Canberra's a great spot to live - very easy to get around, beautiful weather, good infrastructure. There is always something on, but it's really hard to find out what and when for some reason!

I recommend the Durham Castle Arms in Kingston for a catch-up, rather than Eastlake Footy Club, which is a bit soulless. The Durham is a good pub, with a great range of beer on tap, and a short walk from the ground. I'll be heading there!!

Other recommended drinking spots in Canberra - The Phoenix pub in Civic (a really grungy pub with live music and such), BentSpoke brewpub in Braddon (good beer, in Canberra's hipster centre, lots of good food around), The Wig and Pen on the ANU campus (Canberra's first brewpub, good beer). King O'Malley's in Civic isn't my favourite spot but tickles my fancy as it's named after a prohibitionist parliamentarian; has occasional decent live music. I've been hanging out in Civic since the 90s and still enjoy its grubbiness for some reason, although it's cleaned up a lot.There are stacks of cool little bars in Civic now.

Recommended museums - the Museum of Australian Democracy (old parliament house), the National Portrait Gallery, National Art Gallery (terrific), Australian War Memorial (truly a great museum if you're into the military history, full of human stories as well as interesting artefacts of all sizes). Some interesting stuff in the National Museum of Australia, but it didn't really float my boat for some reason. War Memorial is the pick for mine.

If you're into the outdoors, Canberra's wild parks have some lovely walks (Mt Ainslie behind the war memorial the pick in Canberra), and Namadgi national park just 40 minutes from the centre of town has some absolutely stunning spots, with gorgeous views of the mountain ranges and the start of the Australian Alps walking track. Try out Mt Tennant for a nice but challenging steep day hike with good views, Booroomba rocks for a shorter steep walk with great views, or the Orroral or Honeysuckle camping grounds as pretty spots for a picnic.

Anyway, hope to see people at a catch-up.... anyone for the Durham?

Last edited:
I watched Freo v Brisbane in 2015 at the University bar, very handy if you're staying in Civic...
The biggest shock I had that weekend was going to Belconnen Mall and seeing a young guy with a Dockers cap on..

I watched Freo v Brisbane in 2015 at the University bar, very handy if you're staying in Civic...
The biggest shock I had that weekend was going to Belconnen Mall and seeing a young guy with a Dockers cap on..
The only thing I found shocking about Belconnen was that it had a mall in it.

UniPub is shut.
As is ANU Unibar (due to Uni renos).

Durham Arms is still open but is a yuppy $hit#hole with rude staff and over priced beer, rubbish food and poor service (especially on game days).

Bentspoke make great beer but are a fair bit out of the way (in Canberra terms) from where the Manuka transport options are.

Agree that King O'Malley's in Civic is a dive, but the politician/lobbyist/thug it is named after is one of the great unknowns of Australian democracy.

Either the Kingston Pub or Eastlakes (which is hardly soulless on AFL gamedays at Manuka, regularly gets 3,500K AFL fans through the doors on Manuka gamedays, far above any other venue in Canberra, and do deals on drinks and food for Freo fans) are the best AFL venues.

Phoenix, Tilley's, Wig and Pen, the Dock, PJ O Reilley's and a bunch of places in Kingston have live music on Fridays and Saturdays.

If you are a tourist and you are in town at 5pm on any day, you need to be at the War Memorial for the rememberance ceremony. Spine tingling stuff. If you can't be here, you can watch it on the website every day. Not at all militaristic, and really carefully thought out to show the whole family perspective of each individual service member.

Old Parliament House, the Library, the Gallery and the Portrait Gallery are all really worth a visit, as is SciTech if you have kids (or love lighting stuff on fire).
The National Zoo is awesome, but also something you can see in a couple of hours, while being central to most of the hotels.

If you have a day or two up your sleeves, Namadgi National Park and the Tidbinbilla/Parkes Deep Space Centre are must sees. Especially if you have never seen snow, the Snowies are really worth seeing in Winter (especially if you can get a tour into the back country) before the snow in Australia stops.

If you are into politics, then come to new Parliament House - it is unique in atmosphere in Australia during sitting weeks, especially at this point in the electoral cycle. Remember, it is what Matt Price covered - and covered so well. Plus as it is Parliament House's 30th there is a great 80s themed art and design exhibition on (for free!!).

Hit me up if you have questions...

Be loud if you are at the game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Also, in 2002 we lost by 1 point after having been up by about 20 with less than 6 minutes to go.

McManus kicked it out of bounds on the full three times in a row, the last two sailing over my head on the front row of the half back flank.
In the last one, I was 35 m from Shauny Mac, 4 rows deep in the crowd, and yet I was the closest Freo jumper to him. He still kicked it out of bounds straight over my head...

One of the most frustrating Freo losses I have ever seen us have.
We had 50+ more disposals, 30+ more marks, and yet we clangered up the last quarter and only kicked 3 behinds.
Cookie was awesome, and yet too many were like Fewster (who only played because Croad was out injured IIRC)- just all bumbly and inept.

Ah Freo of old...

UniPub is shut.
As is ANU Unibar (due to Uni renos).

Durham Arms is still open but is a yuppy $hit#hole with rude staff and over priced beer, rubbish food and poor service (especially on game days).

Bentspoke make great beer but are a fair bit out of the way (in Canberra terms) from where the Manuka transport options are.

Agree that King O'Malley's in Civic is a dive, but the politician/lobbyist/thug it is named after is one of the great unknowns of Australian democracy.

Either the Kingston Pub or Eastlakes (which is hardly soulless on AFL gamedays at Manuka, regularly gets 3,500K AFL fans through the doors on Manuka gamedays, far above any other venue in Canberra, and do deals on drinks and food for Freo fans) are the best AFL venues.

Phoenix, Tilley's, Wig and Pen, the Dock, PJ O Reilley's and a bunch of places in Kingston have live music on Fridays and Saturdays.

If you are a tourist and you are in town at 5pm on any day, you need to be at the War Memorial for the rememberance ceremony. Spine tingling stuff. If you can't be here, you can watch it on the website every day. Not at all militaristic, and really carefully thought out to show the whole family perspective of each individual service member.

Old Parliament House, the Library, the Gallery and the Portrait Gallery are all really worth a visit, as is SciTech if you have kids (or love lighting stuff on fire).
The National Zoo is awesome, but also something you can see in a couple of hours, while being central to most of the hotels.

If you have a day or two up your sleeves, Namadgi National Park and the Tidbinbilla/Parkes Deep Space Centre are must sees. Especially if you have never seen snow, the Snowies are really worth seeing in Winter (especially if you can get a tour into the back country) before the snow in Australia stops.

If you are into politics, then come to new Parliament House - it is unique in atmosphere in Australia during sitting weeks, especially at this point in the electoral cycle. Remember, it is what Matt Price covered - and covered so well. Plus as it is Parliament House's 30th there is a great 80s themed art and design exhibition on (for free!!).

Hit me up if you have questions...

Be loud if you are at the game.
Wow, I thought Canberra only had parliament house, a lake and pr0n shops.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back