In game interviews

Did I miss something as to when they started these cringe worthy interviews? Is this just from channel 7 that started from this year?

Even Zorko before the 2nd half, it felt like they were being held up to finish the interview of basic ass questions before taking the field as they were pumped up to get out there.

Bad enough when players are leaving the field going to their huddles or half time rooms, but even just before interviewing an injured player getting work done? Hodge 100% wanted to tell her to piss off, it was not the time for that crap.

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
Hodge was fine to me. If they're live there's always a risk the players will swear or say innapropriate things pumped with adrenalin. Apart from that no problem.

I can't imagine any club would pressure their players to do it if they don't want to. Or allow the broadcaster to either.

Foucault1989

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 16, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
It's part of the Americanisation of Australian sport. Full access all areas, interactive, raw.... Roaming Brian style (not that I'm bagging Roaming Brian... It's pure trash but very watchable at the same time). Blokes like Jenkins and Dangerfield are all about it.

PiesUserName

Senior List
Apr 11, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
It is garbage and adds nothing for the viewers IMO. The only thing interesting about it is the hope we see an awkward exchange at some stage and a player saying something inappropriate.

The Swert

Premiership Player
May 3, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Useless.
Don't want it at half time either.

They could use the time to have their football experts actually dissect the game instead.
Most 'analysts' just state player X is having a good game rather than explaining why.

matty lloyd the champ

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 8, 2006
Australia
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Houston Rockets
Has anyone ever sat back and watched one of these and gone 'wowee I really learnt something there'? Yeah didn't think so

I don't mind players being 'miced up' every now and then but the interviews are just a waste of time.
Exactly right. All you get are the same regurgitated cliches that all footy players are so well versed at saying. Huge waste of time.

wagstaff

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 28, 2001
The Sea of Holes
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Melbourne Stars, Arsenal
They provide no value or insight.
This is what annoys me about journalists always whining about wanting more access to players and the like; it's just more opportunity for players to spout the same cliches again and again.

Craig Hutchison is so enamoured with US Sports and how outspoken the athletes are and wants the same here, but Oz athletes are generally much more reserved in what they say; its just a different culture here.

Yojimbo

Cancelled
10k Posts
Nov 14, 2012
The "Elephant" in the room.
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
They have been handing a headset to players on the bench during games in the VFL for about two years
and it does go alright. Saying that however as a white line fever type of guy you would not have wanted
to stick a microphone anywhere within 50 or so metres during a game.

Back