In half our quarters, we've kicked 1 goal or less.

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 21, 2004
AFL Club
GWS
Well, 11/24. Courtesy of Fox Footy.

Little wonder, this feels as low as we've ever been since I've been following the team (first game in 1990). Watching football is a chore, but the team we love is just miserable and boring to watch. Don't give us any good timeslots. Make us play at 3am on Wednesday morning. We're averaging 57 points a game, 16th in the league. Small sample size yeah, sure. We regukarly finished top half in scoring under Brad Scott; a couple of years top 4 from a cursory glance.

Im not saying Scott was a gun and Shaw is pox. That would be a crap statement. But * me we're at a low ebb right now. We're losing, and you need to a magnifying glass to see positives.

Take a risk (the greatest risk is not taking a risk) and take the game on. Stop trying to over possess the ball and kicking sideways, backwards.
I love it when we move it quickly, just get the ball in the right hands to kick it.
Please I am loyal but what we are watching is very hard

Well, 11/24. Courtesy of Fox Footy.

Little wonder, this feels as low as we've ever been since I've been following the team (first game in 1990). Watching football is a chore, but the team we love is just miserable and boring to watch. Don't give us any good timeslots. Make us play at 3am on Wednesday morning. We're averaging 57 points a game, 16th in the league. Small sample size yeah, sure. We regukarly finished top half in scoring under Brad Scott; a couple of years top 4 from a cursory glance.

Im not saying Scott was a gun and Shaw is pox. That would be a crap statement. But fu** me we're at a low ebb right now. We're losing, and you need to a magnifying glass to see positives.

Yet we are 10th for I50's.

1594680348381.png

14th for points scored:

1594680407771.png

The 'delivery angle' is the biggest cop out there is. No team gives silver service to their forwards even half the time. Our forwards simply haven't won enough one on ones. Particularly our key forwards. Xerri/Campbell barely won a one-on-one between them in the 3 x games they've played.

I legitimately can't remember Brown taking a contested I50 mark either.

Curtis Taylor has taken the most I50 contested marks this year at the club.

I think Zurhaar would of won the most one-on-one contests that resulted in goals in the front half as well.

Yet we are 10th for I50's.

View attachment 911954

14th for points scored:

View attachment 911955

The 'delivery angle' is the biggest cop out there is. No team gives silver service to their forwards even half the time. Our forwards simply haven't won enough one on ones. Particularly our key forwards. Xerri/Campbell barely won a one-on-one between them in the 3 x games they've played.

I legitimately can't remember Brown taking a contested I50 mark either.

Curtis Taylor has taken the most I50 contested marks this year at the club.

I think Zurhaar would of won the most one-on-one contests that resulted in goals in the front half as well.
Pretty simple really - if your key forwards cant make the ball and kick straight you will struggle to score goals - more so when you dont have experienced small men next to them.

A few on here refuse to accept that basic premise - as you say - blaming everyone else but the forwards.

BBB has had a shocking year and needs to wear a lot of this - JZ also when he was playing forward the same.

Shawry needs to wear this as well as his selection of lumbering ruckman to support BBB was never going to work - trying Walker up there should have been given a shot. Blaming a dysfunctional forward line on the absence of young Larkey is a cop out.

CT and CZ have performed well given all the circumstances - pitty the experienced guys have not.

To follow on:

Essentially equal 13th/14th for Marks I50.

1594687405441.png

11th for tackles inside 50:

1594687470457.png

5th for center clearances.

1594687538912.png

Critically 16th for intercepts, yet Tarrant and Walker both rate highly for intercepts, what does that tell you?

1594687591209.png

We aren't converting our I50's and center clearance dominance into scores. Our I50 tackling numbers aren't bad. We are also not stopping or intercepting the ball enough coming back the other way. Tarrant and Walker are going alright for intercepts, which begs the question of the other defenders....

The ball is transitioning too easily, despite the turgid game plan. Most other sides key intercept markers aren't actually their key defenders (think Howe, Ridley, Haynes, Sicily). In the past it was Daw, but the likes of MacMillan, Pittard, Williams and Atley are just completely invisible in the air across half back and exposing the side with more scoring opportunities.

Hosie's comments summed it. Coach wants him to work on his defensive running patterns. Screw the fact he knows how to kick goals, the coach want him to be more defensive. We're not trying to score we just don't want to lose by too much.

Look at last week, Shaw said we had our game plan more on track. We didn't want Longmire because of his game style, well looks like we've got a mini me.

Hard to discredit the negative implications of our ball use. From D50 to F50 90% of our list are incapable of providing consistently clean disposal/link up that transitions the ball to our forward line and gives our forwards a 50/50 chance.

For me it's two factors:
  • Ball Use - We have a serious lack of players that can consistently hit targets and use the ball to a team mates advantage. How many times do we transition from HBF and the ball is given to someone in a worse position then the person with the ball? Far too often. Higgins, Thomas, Cunnington, Simpkin, Goldstein, Scott, Dumont probably the only players that can do this consistently and even then, bar Higgins none of them are elite at it. Not to mention, none of these players are defenders. I get Rhys wants a hard contested side, however I'm inclined to lead selection with quality ball use. Play the guys that can hit target and get them the ball.
  • Game Plan - It's been said over and over again, however we are as predictable a side as I've seen in 2020. We don't take any risks when moving the ball to open the game up (likely due to personnel), we stall and then kick down the line, every time. Opposition clubs sit an extra defender on a target and not only are we open to intercept marks, we are also vulnerable to getting torched on the rebound, as we have seen throughout the last 4 weeks.
What do we get when we combine these two factors? 1 goal or less in half our quarters... Both need to be addressed ASAP.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hosie's comments summed it. Coach wants him to work on his defensive running patterns. Screw the fact he knows how to kick goals, the coach want him to be more defensive. We're not trying to score we just don't want to lose by too much.

Look at last week, Shaw said we had our game plan more on track. We didn't want Longmire because of his game style, well looks like we've got a mini me.
* this pisses me off. Would've thought as a rebounding defender for most of his career Rhyce of all people would understand the value of attacking play. The game goes both ways you campaigner. Please show us that you understand this fact in your coaching this week.

fu** this pisses me off. Would've thought as a rebounding defender for most of his career Rhyce of all people would understand the value of attacking play. The game goes both ways you campaigner. Please show us that you understand this fact in your coaching this week.
I saw the still Rick put up on twitter but didn’t have time to read his analysis. One still shows us with the ball in the center square. We have a 6 on 4 and in stead of using our numbers and running the ball we bombed it long into our forwards...who were out numbered. It’s just dumb football that doesn’t promote scoring. I’m hoping Shaw is developing a game plan in stages and he has written this year off as development of defense, with attack to come next year.

I saw the still Rick put up on twitter but didn’t have time to read his analysis. One still shows us with the ball in the center square. We have a 6 on 4 and in stead of using our numbers and running the ball we bombed it long into our forwards...who were out numbered. It’s just dumb football that doesn’t promote scoring. I’m hoping Shaw is developing a game plan in stages and he has written this year off as development of defense, with attack to come next year.
I ******* hope so. Because I don't like what I've seen from him so far attacking wise

Professional footballers generating 0-1 goals per quarter every 2nd quarter is dead-set mind-blowing. Under 12’s, I’d accept it. But not professional men.

There are some SERIOUS issues at Arden St - I’m not sure where this all will lead.

I don't mind a defensive style, but we were also promised flair when in attack and we are not seeing that.

Our offensive ball movement is boring, predictable, and unchanged for over 15 years. It must be addressed.
Our midfield needs pace and skill. And has done so for 15 years, yet we have had a fetish for average sized midfielders with average speed and average skill.
If that doesn’t change, we may as well hand in the keys.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back