Research In search of Dick Casey

Remove this Banner Ad

Here's another mystery man. Bill Ahern. Carlton 1897.
Has anyone eliminated a William Ahern born 1871, died 4 Nov 1955?
There is already a thread on these players and any others. Look for Innacuracy Thread or DOD Thread :)

I have always asked myself why Casey did not serve in WW1 as he was in his early thirties when the war broke out and not in a war related industry to my knowledge. There was no conscription of course so service was voluntary but numerous footballers as we know at VFA and VFL level did enlist.

I have 5 possible reasons why he did not service and my comments follow each reason.

The first is that he was unfit - I find this reason less likely, as being an ex footballer, he likely would have been fit. The second is that he did not want to leave his extensive family of 5 or so kids and his wife. - I find this less likely as many people then had large families but still enlisted.The third is that he committed a criminal offence of some nature - I am aware he was suspended for rough action but again would that disentitle from war service? The fourth is that maybe there was something in his family background or that of his father's or mother's background that he did not want to be discovered such as a crime or false name. This reason may have some merit especially taken with the 5th possible reason. The fifth reason which may apply may have direct implications geneologically. The fifth reason is we know that Casey came from an Irish background and in all likelihood was Catholic. This may suggest that his father and or mother or both were born in Ireland and emigrated to Australia. Also with possibly staunch Catholic parents and being from Irish background (potato famine, english landlords etc), when the Church through Archbishop Mannix, from memory agitated against conscription AND when later the Easter Rebellion of 1916 started in Ireland which many then Australians of Irish catholic background felt angry about, Casey may have been in no hurry to fight for the english. This also dovetails into Casey's political involvement with the labour movement and from memory he worked for the Labour Party just prior to his death - just as some of his children also did so it seems he was somewhat politically active( remember also that from memory Casey played with John Curtin in about 1900 to 1903 at Brunswick and Curtin later named him as a player he played with). This is all conjecture and supposition but it may point to the background and geneology of Casey as if the name of his father ( and his name ) was Carrick or some such name, we are possibly looking for a Carrick who emigrated from Ireland or England to Australia but was born in Ireland. We should also be able to through supposition estimate the date of birth of his father or mother with 10 years allowance either way so we have the right catchment dates.

Also with possibly staunch Catholic parents and being from Irish background (potato famine, english landlords etc), when the Church through Archbishop Mannix, from memory agitated against conscription AND when later the Easter Rebellion of 1916 started in Ireland which many then Australians of Irish catholic background felt angry about, Casey may have been in no hurry to fight for the english. This also dovetails into Casey's political involvement with the labour movement and from memory he worked for the Labour Party just prior to his death - just as some of his children also did so it seems he was somewhat politically active( remember also that from memory Casey played with John Curtin in about 1900 to 1903 at Brunswick and Curtin later named him as a player he played with).

This is all conjecture and supposition but it may point to the background and geneology of Casey as if the name of his father ( and his name ) was Carrick or some such name, we are possibly looking for a Carrick who emigrated from Ireland or England to Australia but was born in Ireland. We should also be able to through supposition estimate the date of birth of his father or mother with 10 years allowance either way so we have the right catchment dates.
I would add his fitness was prior to the war and his death from the Spanish Influenza/pneumonia suggests someone whose fitness may have waned

You are right about the strong sentiment about conscription. If you read Peter Fitzsimmons book about Les Darcy this is explored in great detail.

It was hinted this , Catholicism v Protestantism, was the forerunner of the political movement we see today.

On Carrick , I have Carricks in my sons family tree and good luck with your search :D

Remove this Banner Ad

Back