Status
Not open for further replies.

My Tilly

Premium Gold
Jun 30, 2018
AFL Club
Geelong
Hi all

As some of you may know already, I have been on a quest to locate as much Geelong footage from yesteryear as is humanly possible. Have been to past players, coaches, past presidents, current presidents, channels 9/7/ABC, broadcasting archives etc, etc.

Like most of us, I was a big fan of Gary Ablett Senior and it's always been a hobby of mine to compile as detailed highlights reel as you can get. I have most of Geelong's matches between the years 1984-1996 but I am still looking for certain games in the 80's. These were often non-broadcast games and only highlights were shown on the evening news at the time.
Does anyone here have tapes lying around somewhere. Does anyone know of someone who may have recorded matches?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

when you gonna get onto that definitive Matthew Scarlett highlights archive catscollector ?? :D

Scarlo would definitely be one I would like to do. Particularly the earlier years.

get on it mate :thumbsu:;)

seriously, have said many times that your work on the Ablett videos over the years is legendary, huge effort that has brought a lot of joy.

I do have a very very thorough scrapbook at home (seriously!) and a few bits and pieces of Ablett memorabilia, unfortunately nothing in the way of Geelong videos from the nominated time span though ...

Hey, probably won't help cause you've probably tried it but Sportsworld on ch7 used to show the highlights of the non TV games back in the day.
As did the Sunday footy show. Maybe whoever was producing those shows?

get on it mate :thumbsu:;)

seriously, have said many times that your work on the Ablett videos over the years is legendary, huge effort that has brought a lot of joy.

I do have a very very thorough scrapbook at home (seriously!) and a few bits and pieces of Ablett memorabilia, unfortunately nothing in the way of Geelong videos from the nominated time span though ...

It's frustrating because I know the vision is out there somewhere.
Scrapbook's are also great.
I am trying to get a scrapbook photo of a particular mark taken over Paul Hogg way back in 1987 at the MCG. Unfortunately, any game vision does not exist but that day, Gaz took one of the marks of the year and some say it was one of his best.

Hey, probably won't help cause you've probably tried it but Sportsworld on ch7 used to show the highlights of the non TV games back in the day.
As did the Sunday footy show. Maybe whoever was producing those shows?

Yes, have lots of those original broadcasts. Most of what was shown on Sportsworld and ABC's the winners I now have as full games. A lot of past players had the full games which they had kept after all these years so massive appreciation to those players.

Channel 7 archives would have a fair bit we have never seen before but a lot of what they have is still stored on 8mm reels of film (as I was told). Whether or not they have gone through and documented it all, who knows. Was also told that in order to keep the budget at helm, they would record over previously recorded material so we may have lost a lot of priceless vision from the glory days of VFL footy in the 70's and early 80's.

I am trying to get a scrapbook photo of a particular mark taken over Paul Hogg way back in 1987 at the MCG. Unfortunately, any game vision does not exist but that day, Gaz took one of the marks of the year and some say it was one of his best.

hmm, rings a bell, I'll have a butcher's at the ol' scrapbook - Paul Hogg or was it Jeff, the Richmond player?

Yes, have lots of those original broadcasts. Most of what was shown on Sportsworld and ABC's the winners I now have as full games. A lot of past players had the full games which they had kept after all these years so massive appreciation to those players.

Channel 7 archives would have a fair bit we have never seen before but a lot of what they have is still stored on 8mm reels of film (as I was told). Whether or not they have gone through and documented it all, who knows. Was also told that in order to keep the budget at helm, they would record over previously recorded material so we may have lost a lot of priceless vision from the glory days of VFL footy in the 70's and early 80's.

heard this type of story over the years, old classic BBC shows etc getting taped over; shame the archivists of the day weren't more diligent/less cheap!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He took this over Jeff Hogg in about 1987 but not sure if this is one you are talking about as there is vision of this
View attachment 1181706

Thanks for that TheMenz Gallery :thumbsu:
That was a great mark but this one I have as it was actually from round 22, 1986.

I have never seen the one he took in 87. Those that were at the game that day said it was incredible as he had his knees planted on the shoulders of his opponent and Ted Whitten was doing the radio call when he took it and was going crazy.

The next week, he took a similar mark over David Cloke at Waverley Park.
For whatever reasons, that mark is not shown in it's entirety.

A bit of homework for you. 😎

There are plenty more great grabs out there, I remember watching games live on countless occasions and then watching every footy show that weekend hoping to see a replay of a huge mark he took but then being disappointed because it didn’t appear on any show.
Exhibit A - I have never seen the vision of either of these marks. The first one is on debut in the hoops.
A360BA76-53EF-4E51-B930-E0F51B62B9CF.jpeg 13AF3845-4BA0-4D3E-86C5-763E252D8D5A.jpeg

Thanks for that TheMenz Gallery :thumbsu:
That was a great mark but this one I have as it was actually from round 22, 1986.

I have never seen the one he took in 87. Those that were at the game that day said it was incredible as he had his knees planted on the shoulders of his opponent and Ted Whitten was doing the radio call when he took it and was going crazy.
No wonder Jeff Hogg moved to Full Forward, sick of being Gazza’s stepladder.

Mate = all i want to see is the 2nd half of the 1967 PF where Geel kicked 11 goals to Carltons one and i know the vision exists - because Fox Footy bought all of ABC 2 vision of that era - but to get someone to do it - well it is like finding a 1930 penny

If GFC has got an official historian /librarian - then their number one task/project should be to put up vision of that game - but they wont

Some of the officials at football clubs in this regard leave a bit to be desired - take Eddie McGuire - when Coll president - now he is in at Fox Footy - and one of the greatest games i ever went to ( in the best 2-3 ever ) was the 1970 second semi final between Coll and Carl - in a high scoring excitement plus match Coll won by about a goal - Peter McKenna kicked 9 goals for Coll and Alex Jesaulenko kicked 8 - Syd Jackson got reported ( and got off ) because he accused Lee Adamson of racially abusing him - which he didnt

Now that was a fantastic game ( and it created the huge build up for the return match in the GF ) but the game has never been shown - yet they would have vision of it - why dont they show it - instead we see the GF a blooody million times

Rhett Bartlett ( KBs son ) i think he might be the official historian of the RFC - he puts up good vision on his site - like about 6 weeks back - i watched the whole last qtr of a 1973 home/away game between Rich and Carl - they are great to watch

A bit of homework for you. 😎

There are plenty more great grabs out there, I remember watching games live on countless occasions and then watching every footy show that weekend hoping to see a replay of a huge mark he took but then being disappointed because it didn’t appear on any show.
Exhibit A - I have never seen the vision of either of these marks. The first one is on debut in the hoops.
View attachment 1181719View attachment 1181720

That first one is an absolute beauty!
Thanks again for this.

So was that round 1, 1984 vs Fitzroy?
We have seen some vision from this game, the goal he kicks from half forward flank, and the game does exist as I have about 10 minutes of brief highlights (no Ablett marks) with no sound. I got vision of the game from an ex Geelong captain. The club must have cut and paste highlights for certain players so that mark should be somewhere.

The second photograph, again I have this game. It was against St Kilda in round 6, 1985. He does not take the mark but the jump was spectacular in it's own right.

Ok, have picked up some absolute gems in recent months. Some terrific highlights from 1984. Never seen some of his speccies before so great addition to the highlights reel I'm working on.

As always, looking for any Geelong games during Snr's era.
If anyone may know of someone who kept games, please, would love to try and have them transferred. Mainly after the early years 1984-1989.

Ok, have picked up some absolute gems in recent months. Some terrific highlights from 1984. Never seen some of his speccies before so great addition to the highlights reel I'm working on.

As always, looking for any Geelong games during Snr's era.
If anyone may know of someone who kept games, please, would love to try and have them transferred. Mainly after the early years 1984-1989.

can't wait to see the results catscollector

Hi all

As some of you may know already, I have been on a quest to locate as much Geelong footage from yesteryear as is humanly possible. Have been to past players, coaches, past presidents, current presidents, channels 9/7/ABC, broadcasting archives etc, etc.

Like most of us, I was a big fan of Gary Ablett Senior and it's always been a hobby of mine to compile as detailed highlights reel as you can get. I have most of Geelong's matches between the years 1984-1996 but I am still looking for certain games in the 80's. These were often non-broadcast games and only highlights were shown on the evening news at the time.
Does anyone here have tapes lying around somewhere. Does anyone know of someone who may have recorded matches?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
You may already be aware of him, a fella I work with is obsessed with everything AFL from the 80s and he sources nearly all his games from a guy called Steven Davis on Facebook. I think he said they’re $10 a game but his library is huge.

You may already be aware of him, a fella I work with is obsessed with everything AFL from the 80s and he sources nearly all his games from a guy called Steven Davis on Facebook. I think he said they’re $10 a game but his library is huge.

Steven is great. Have traded with him for years.
Has all the Geelong games I have though.

I have found going to past players has been the best way to locate vision. Unfortunately, only a few of Ablett's teammates kept anything. I have sourced just about every avenue you can possibly think of.
Always hopeful there may be that one supporter who was fanatical and recorded replays etc. Have come across a few supporters like this so far. Couldn't be more thankful for what they have done. A lot of games which may have been lost to history have now been restored.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back