In some way, shape, or form; let’s put our best foot forward to leave no stone unturned ...

Remove this Banner Ad

To be fair there could be plenty of unforeseen circumstances that were within their control, but they just might be really bad at foreseeing potential circumstances
or worse still they could be both bad at foreseeing circumstances AND at realising what they can and can't control. Like Governments..

Thanks for reaching out to us. Unfortunately in this time of covid we are overstretched in our human capital going forward. However we do endeavour to circle back to you at our earliest convenience.

Not mine, but fit the topic:

One week at a time/Take every game as it comes

– Often heard when a team is on a winning streak and to downplay looking too far ahead.

Up and about

– The entire Richmond fan base after any win, ever.

We’re not getting carried away

– When a team has put in a good performance but knows there’s still work to be done.

An eight point game

– Often used by media personnel (I won’t name names) in the lead up to September when teams close in ladder position come up against each other.

Yeah, nah…

– Used by every footballer ever in any press conference.

Full credit to the boys

-When a guy has just played a blinder but will deflect the spotlight away from him.

Credit to them

– Often used when walking off the ground – with Cameron Mooney interviewing you- after you’ve just smashed a team by 70 points but they stuck with you for one quarter.

It’s a four quarter game

– When the boys kick nine goals to one in the last quarter, lose every other quarter but still win the game.

Brand of footy

– Any reference to the style of footy your coach wants you to play even though you have no idea what he draws on the whiteboard.

We knew they’d come out hard

– Top vs bottom, you knew it’d be a training drill but you have to sound respectful.

We’re just happy to get the four points

– When you have played your worst game for three seasons but still manage to win.

Training the house down

– Used by anyone for anyone in the pre-season, often relating to a young rookie or a guy returning from injury.

Anything with the word “structures”

– Because you sound like you pay attention when the coach is talking.

Scoreboard pressure

“Gee you reckon if they can just grab the next goal or two they’re in with a real shot don’t you?”

Anything Bruce McAvaney has ever said

– Because, Bruce.

In my opinion, Bucks is one of the most articulate coaches in the AFL. Can’t see what you’re complaining about.

It’s not just Buckley.

I actually created this thread after watching a Kevin White report for the first time and seeing the same old idioms churned out.
The bloke is Irish FFS, why is he leaning on the same old cliches and idioms?

Maybe folks in the Holden really do converse that way?

Buckley: “G’Day Kev, you putting your best foot forward mate?”

Kevin: “Aye, just playing my role Nathan, just playing my role.”

So along with Being a champion player, great leader/coach...father and having achieved all this with minimal education you want him to be a media presenter or professional actor?

Those things aren’t mutually exclusive. I’m not talking about him winning the Booker prize here ... being an effective communicator is a kinda useful skill to have for a coach (and a captain)

Besides, Buckley has worked in the media, he should know better.

Last edited:

– When a team has put in a good performance but knows there’s still work to be done. “Deep inside we’re being very carried away, but a bit of faux modesty will help contain the blowback for when we inevitably crash”

EFA

Not mine, but fit the topic:

One week at a time/Take every game as it comes

– Often heard when a team is on a winning streak and to downplay looking too far ahead.

Up and about

– The entire Richmond fan base after any win, ever.

– When a team has put in a good performance but knows there’s still work to be done.

An eight point game

– Often used by media personnel (I won’t name names) in the lead up to September when teams close in ladder position come up against each other.

Yeah, nah…

– Used by every footballer ever in any press conference.

Full credit to the boys

-When a guy has just played a blinder but will deflect the spotlight away from him.

Credit to them

– Often used when walking off the ground – with Cameron Mooney interviewing you- after you’ve just smashed a team by 70 points but they stuck with you for one quarter.

It’s a four quarter game

– When the boys kick nine goals to one in the last quarter, lose every other quarter but still win the game.

Brand of footy

– Any reference to the style of footy your coach wants you to play even though you have no idea what he draws on the whiteboard.

We knew they’d come out hard

– Top vs bottom, you knew it’d be a training drill but you have to sound respectful.

We’re just happy to get the four points

– When you have played your worst game for three seasons but still manage to win.

Training the house down

– Used by anyone for anyone in the pre-season, often relating to a young rookie or a guy returning from injury.

Anything with the word “structures”

– Because you sound like you pay attention when the coach is talking.

Scoreboard pressure

“Gee you reckon if they can just grab the next goal or two they’re in with a real shot don’t you?”

Anything Bruce McAvaney has ever said

– Because, Bruce.

Brilliant!

Could add the footballer’s apology

Forced by the club to apologise at a presser, while sitting uncomfortably between a stern looking coach and president, and usually only apologises to those who were ‘offended’.

Those things aren’t mutually exclusive. I’m not talking about him winning the Booker prize here ... being an effective communicator is a kinda useful skill to have for a coach (and a captain)

Besides, Buckley has worked in the media, he should know better.
Agree it’s a useful skill, but he’s still a coach trying to protect the team...he’s not Eddie who is authentic and says what he thinks and ends up in trouble. Cliches exist as a go to because you can’t say anything in the media without ending up slammed today

(Log in to remove this ad.)

....obviously, it's "obviously". It obviously starts every sentence uttered by coaches and players -particularly players.
Obviously, moving forward at this point in time and at the end of the day if we reach out to each other we can establish the basis for a strategic dialogue that will help to point us towards the reasons as to why we lose our shape, get nutted at the clearances and don't have assets at the fall of the ball in the attacking zone on the fat side of the ground just inside the paint.

PS might also shed light on why some kicks don't make "the trip" - hello James Brayshaw :(

I have a bigger gripe with footy people masquerading as "journalists" asking coaches and players questions where they give the answers in the question. Such as "do you think grundy had a good 7game when he had only 3 hitouts and no clearances and he didnt take a mark". It's an ongoing technique where the player basically gets to say yes to the question and might say a little more in agreement in the form of a cliche.

I dont understand why they cant ask open ended questions and give players an opportunity to say whatever they like ..."how do you feel about the game today?" Just let the players have some scope to breathe. The fear is that they are going to freeze up but anything is better than a few words of agreement wrapped up in a cliche.

The problem is rooted in the interviewers need to feel important and knowledgeable. They need to remind the boss that they are knowledgeable footy people and know a lot about footy. They players are there of course to reaffirm their importance to the broadcaster. That sums up about 80% of the whole exercise.

Dermie delivers...... he delivers old replays ....and a chance to see dermie talking....what a highlight

100% agree on the muppets I hear on footy related TV and radio. Buckley is a coach though...if he ever goes back to TV then ok I agree. Poor example if that is the point that is being illustrated.

Footy commentary in general is no where near as interesting (or funny) as yesteryear. Too sanitised. Bring back the Captain and the Major or Rex Hunt, the James Joyce of footy calling.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I can’t stand the hyperbole about structures. Yes, they’re important, but players “getting away from” their structures is trotted out as the main reason any team loses in any given week. The position you occupy on the ground is not as important as the impact you have or how you use the ball. It doesn’t matter if the design is fantastic if the primary building material is warm dogshit.

I can’t stand the hyperbole about structures. Yes, they’re important, but players “getting away from” their structures is trotted out as the main reason any team loses in any given week. The position you occupy on the ground is not as important as the impact you have or how you use the ball. It doesn’t matter if the design is fantastic if the primary building material is warm dogshit.
does warm dogshit ever "lose its shape"?

It’s not just Buckley.

I actually created this thread after watching a Kevin White report for the first time and seeing the same old idioms churned out.
The bloke is Irish FFS, why is he leaning on the same old cliches and idioms?

Maybe folks in the Holden really do converse that way?

Buckley: “G’Day Kev, you putting your best foot forward mate?”

Kevin: “Aye, just playing my role Nathan, just playing my role.”
Yeah well, it’s a footy club. What level of discourse would you expect?

Didn’t see White mentioned in your OP. Just another Bucks bashing thread.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back